They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Loading Illustrator files

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Loading Illustrator files

Postby Gerry » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm

A year ago I put together a video in Prel 9 on a different computer and used an Adobe Illustrator file (an arrow) on a chroma key to point out something. It worked just fine.

Since the time I put that video together I changed computers. I just tried loading the original Prel file into Prel 9 (and then tried Prel 11, too) again, and although the Illustrator files are still present in the assets folder and listed in the project assets, they won't load. I get an error message saying "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed."

What did my old computer have on it that this one doesn't that would allow the Illustrator file to load?
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Time is money, life is change.
Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Loading Illustrator files

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:31 am

.ai files will definitely load into Premiere Elements, Gerry.

And there's no need to use Chroma Key with them. .ai and .eps vector files from Illustrator maintain their transparency when you import them into Premiere Elements.

Have you tried starting a new project and importing your .ai file into it?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerry » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:35 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Have you tried starting a new project and importing your .ai file into it?

I hadn't, but I just did. No go. Reinstall maybe?

(I just tried opening and re-saving under a different name in Illustrator. Didn't make any difference.) What's interesting is that, when I click on ADD MEDIA and it shows all importable files, none of the .ai files that are in the folder show up. Also, .ai isn't listed among the FILE TYPES in the drop-down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:33 pm

I'm not sure what it isn't working for you, Gerry. It does work. I've done it many times.

What happens if output an EPS file from Illustrator? Does it work?

EDIT:
Gerry, I owe you an apology! I just tried it with both .ai and .eps files in Premiere Elements and these files formats are indeed NOT supported! But they used to be. I do remember using them in earlier versions of the program -- and I've found documentation up through version 7 that says they're supported.

I'm not sure exactly when Premiere Element stopped importing .ai and .eps files I'm not sure. But they clearly are no longer supported.

More as I discover what's up.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerry » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:51 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:I'm not sure what it isn't working for you, Gerry. It does work. I've done it many times.

What happens if output an EPS file from Illustrator? Does it work?

EDIT:
Gerry, I owe you an apology! I just tried it with both .ai and .eps files in Premiere Elements and these files formats are indeed NOT supported! But they used to be. I do remember using them in earlier versions of the program -- and I've found documentation up through version 7 that says they're supported.

I'm not sure exactly when Premiere Element stopped importing .ai and .eps files I'm not sure. But they clearly are no longer supported.

More as I discover what's up.

No apology necessary! WHEW! I thought I was going nuts! I know for sure I used .ai files in a video I did about 2 years ago; that must've been with PREL 4 (although I thought it was with PREL 9). When I loaded that old elements file into the program to do some re-editing, the .ai files were sitting there on the timeline, and I know they'd worked back in the day. But now they needed to be re-linked, and when I tried, I started getting the error.

After that I decided to totally wipe both PREL 9 and 11 from my computer and reinstalled 11. Obviously, as you know now, that didn't help. But it was worth a try.

But thanks for looking into it further and discovering that something's changed in the program. I appreciate it.

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:26 am

Adobe Illustrator files can be opened in Photoshop, then saved as .PSD files. In Photoshop CS?, check that the document is in RGB mode and not CMYK mode. Select RGB mode if it's CMYK before saving as a PSD. I'm not sure if this will work with Photoshop Elements.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:06 am

A great solution, Robert!

If you open the AI file in Photoshop Elements, you can save it as a PSD file and it will load into Premiere Elements with the transparency intact. (And, with Photo Elements, you don't need to worry about setting the correct color space. It only outputs files that will work in Premiere Elements.)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerry » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:08 am

Excellent work arounds, you guys. THANKS!

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to PRE Version 9