They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Media Not Found question

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Media Not Found question

Postby colbykenyon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:26 pm

Has anyone had this happened. PE was working fine all day yesterday, but when I open my project, which I saved, today, when trying to play the clips, a red screen comes up that says media not found. Everything looks ok on the timeline but when you play it they're all replaced by this 'media not found' red screen. Can someone please let me know what's going on & how I fix this? Thanks.
colbykenyon
New User
New User

Re: Media Not Found question

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi Colby,
This usually happens when your clips are located on an external drive. Do you have any of your clips or project files located on an external drive?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby colbykenyon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:04 pm

No. I"m saving them on the hard drive. What's also happening now is, at random points in time, the video portion of clips turns to a blank green screen while the audio is unaffected. Do you think something is wrong w/ the software? I've had it for a year or so & never had this problem.

Thanks so much for your help.
colbykenyon
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:20 pm

It means that the program has lost track of where the files are located. As Chuck said, one reason would be if you have an external drive that may change it's drive designation. But it can also happen if you've moved files into a different folder on the same drive, or renamed a folder. When PrEl is first opening the program file it will ask you to navigate to the current location of the missing file. After that it will remember. Do any of the above apply? We need to determine if you're having one problem, or two separate problems.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby colbykenyon » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:39 am

Yes. Premiere Elements has frequently been asking me 'where is ____ file located'. I figured that, once a file was imported & saved into the Premiere Elements file, it was there to stay/ part of that document, & independent of the source file outside of PRE (like a file that's been copied onto an external drive & can then be deleted on the hard drive).

Guess I was wrong. So I just need to keep all media files saved on the Hard drive even after I've incorporated them into my PRE project. Correct??

Thanks a bunch for the help. I appreciate it.

Colby
colbykenyon
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:55 am

colbykenyon wrote:So I just need to keep all media files saved on the Hard drive even after I've incorporated them into my PRE project. Correct??

Correct. Or at the very least save them to some device or media to which you can later direct PrEl when it needs them. PrEl doesn't store a copy, it just keeps track of where they are. If the location changes it gets confused.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:05 pm

Dave is correct. The Premiere Elements project file only contains references to your source files, not the files themselves. After the project is completed, use the Share tab to export the finished video. You can then delete or store the project and files as you see fit. My personal preference is to store the project and files. That way, I can come back later and make adjustments and tweaks if necessary, or share to a different format. Premiere Elements has an archiver feature that makes it easy.

The archiver gathers together the source and project files and copies them to the location you specify -- I use an external drive for this. The copied project file is adjusted automatically to use the copied files so you won't get the media not found message when you open it. The archiver gives you two options. You can "archive" the project which only copies the parts of the source files that were actually used on the timeline, or you can "copy" the project which saves the complete original source files. I use "copy". See the Premiere Elements 9 Help entry for archiving projects for details.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 9