They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Capture Window loses the picture

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Capture Window loses the picture

Postby videogeorge » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:39 pm

Just bought a new Dell XPS 8300 i7 2600 CPU, 8 GB Ram, separate hdd for video. I installed PE9 and have this peculiar problem. When I "get media" from my DV Camcorder the capture window doesn't show the footage unless I move it over to the lower right of the screen. It seems to just play in that area. When I move the capture window away the image doesn't come along with it. I'm sure it's a setting of some kind but all help is appreciated.
videogeorge
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Capture Window loses the picture

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:08 am

First thing to do with a problem like this is go to the nVidia or ATI web sites and make sure you've got the latest drivers for your video graphics card.

However, since you've got a Dell, you'll need to instead go to the Dell site and look up your model of computer and ensure you have all of the Dell-issued updates.

You've already tried this, I assume:

Go to Help/Check for Updates to ensure you have version 9.01.

Then, in XP, go to C:/DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS/ALL USERS/APPLICATION DATA/ADOBE/PREMIERE ELEMENTS/9.0 and remove or rename the file BadDrivers.txt.

In Windows 7, go to C:/Program Data/Adobe/Premiere Elements/9.0 and remove or rename the file BadDrivers.txt. (You may need to first go to Start/Control Panel/Folder Options/View and, under Hidden Files and Folders, select the option to Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives.)

When you next launch Premiere Elements, BadDrivers.txt will be recreated and you will no longer see the message.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videogeorge » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:09 pm

Thanks Steve. I downloaded the driver from Dell for the AMD Radeon Graphics card and renamed the BadDrivers File. It improved it but still seems a little slow as I get the "trails" when I move the capture window around. Should I delete that file altogether or is renaming it just as effective?
videogeorge
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:50 pm

I have never liked the Premiere Elements capture for a variety of reasons.
Highly recommend HDVSplit for HD Video and WinDV for SD Video.
Both are free and do an excellent job of capturing video !!

http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

http://windv.mourek.cz/
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 9