They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

What is this new thing on the timeline?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

What is this new thing on the timeline?

Postby 1horsemoviemiss » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:55 am

Well I finally got the first movie done. Then a week later I have the time to get the second one underway.

I opened Premiere Elements 9 in the timeline mode & there is this little handle thing (or it could be called a slide bar) there which hasn't been there before. :-s To my knowledge there hasn't been any sort of update.
This handle or slide bar is up in the bar that shows the minutes & seconds. When I pull it along the time indictor bar it turns the bar from black to grey. There are now more zeros & decimal points in the time indicators too. The handle is parked right against the left end of the timeline at 00.00.00.00 & can be pulled along the time indicator bar. Zero used to read 00.00 before this handle appeared.

I tried clicking on everything that was active in the drop down menus above the work area to see if I had accidently preset something but nothing changed it. :???:

I'm loath to begin the movie for fear of wasting yet more time if this bar is important.

I thought it's name might show if I hovered the curser over it but no joy there either. It's important to know what it is & how to get rid of it before I start so I don't cause problems later. :-k
win7, 64bit, i7 Quad core, 16Gb ram, USB3, nVidia GForce with 3Gb graphics card,
17.3" screen laptop, 1.5Tb hard drive, Blue Ray RW CD burner, 2Tb exHD
1horsemoviemiss
New User
New User

Re: What is this new thing on the timeline?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:05 am

It's hard to say without seeing a screen shot of what you're talking about, horse. But it sounds to me like the zoom slider.

Try this. Press the + and - keys on your keyboard. Do you see the same changes as when you move this slider?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby 1horsemoviemiss » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:09 am

I have been searching through many of the free tutorials trying to find the handle thing Ispoke of in my original post above.

I have found it appearing at the end in the timeline view of prelBasic1 that Steve made.

In that scene of the movie Steve shows his new empty timeline ready to import video. The bar I am wanting to know about is partly drawn along the numbered uppermost bar of the timeline making that section grey while the rest of the uppermost bar remains black.

It must be something to do with the presets that Steve talked about in that movie because it doesn't appear in other timeline scenes of his basics series movies.
win7, 64bit, i7 Quad core, 16Gb ram, USB3, nVidia GForce with 3Gb graphics card,
1horsemoviemiss
New User
New User

Postby 1horsemoviemiss » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:23 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:It's hard to say without seeing a screen shot of what you're talking about, horse. But it sounds to me like the zoom slider.

Try this. Press the + and - keys on your keyboard. Do you see the same changes as when you move this slider?

I just opened Prel & yes it does that. Which led me to discover it has a leading slide handle & a trailing slide handle. Would those be the right sort of terms to call it Steve?

But why hasn't it been obvious in previous uses of this software?

Anyway so long as that's all it does I can now get on with this project. \:D/ :run:

Thanks again Steve. I have watched I think all the help movies you made, it's just that I don't know what I need to know until the question arises. Then it's a matter of "just where did I see that" :lol:

cheers Steve
1horsemoviemiss
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:03 pm

There's been a zoom control on the timeline in every version of the product, horsemovie.

It's just appeared in different forms and sometimes in different spots on the timeline panel.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 9