They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Photshop CS6 Video "how to's"?

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

Photshop CS6 Video "how to's"?

Postby ChancyRat » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:52 am

I've made my way to doing video inside Photoshop CS6 (long painful path from PE7 to Pro CS6, to nothing).

Anyway, I do see how PS video is limited, but for some of my uses it's just fine.

I have a couple of questions and cannot find answers after extensive searches through Adobe and other forums and tutorials:

- Is it possible to group a set of clips so that they move as one block? It appears there is no other option than to shift- or Ctrl-click and move them, and then laboriously repeat this as needed.

- How do you move one clip to another place in the timeline AND insure the clips above that row move relatively also? E.g., if I have a title slide above one videoclip on a row, and then I move an unrelated clip on the same video row, the title slides do not move at all, so that they are now out of order and have to be re-positioned from scratch.

- The answer to the questions might be, is there a way to move a clip without the automatic snap function working, that closes the gap? Maybe that can be turned off?

Thanks.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Photshop CS6 Video "how to's"?

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:50 pm

Sorry, Chancy, I don't know the answers to your questions.

Colin Smith wrote a book specifically about editing video in Photoshop.

http://www.amazon.com/Video-Photoshop-Photographers-Designers-Colin/dp/0321834569/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1410907676&sr=8-6&keywords=book+on+video+editing+in+photoshop+cs6

He also runs a forum, here:

http://www.photoshopcafe.com/

Hope that helps,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ChancyRat » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:22 pm

Thank you Paz, I have pursued that forum. The book link, I was able to see the contents for my issue via Amazon, and it doesn't answer this question. I hope the forum members will know.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ChancyRat » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:32 pm

I have a follow-up question that is a bit tangential, but I don't see any other threads on the topic.

I'd like to know which program - Prelude, Lightroom, and Bridge - which I assume are the options - is the, or the best, option for this:
I have a lot of video files, and I need to isolate sections from them that have certain subject content.
I'd like to be able to view a video, scrub fast through it, set in and out points, and save the clip portion to some kind of sub-folder or list, to be used in one project (right now that would be Photoshop but may have to switch to PE12).

In my ramblings through the software descriptions I'm not seeing this exact set of conditions. And my history is mostly to work with 1-3 videos that I can line up on the timeline and then edit from there. Using this method for lots of videos that I have to preview seems awkward. The one helpful video I saw about Lightroom showed a set of photos being managed like I want, but not videos and not scrubbing in and out points (and saving to a group). In Bridge, I see one can 'send' a file to one of the other Adobe programs, but not edit it as I need to first. Which is kind of a bulk edit task on multiple videos.

Hope this was clear. I'm very interested in how folks manage a project where they need to inspect and make isolated choices like this.
Thanks.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:00 pm

- Is it possible to group a set of clips so that they move as one block? It appears there is no other option than to shift- or Ctrl-click and move them, and then laboriously repeat this as needed.

This is controlled by clip selection. If more than one clip is selected at the same time they will move together. You can select the clips in either the time line or the layers panel.

- How do you move one clip to another place in the timeline AND insure the clips above that row move relatively also? E.g., if I have a title slide above one videoclip on a row, and then I move an unrelated clip on the same video row, the title slides do not move at all, so that they are now out of order and have to be re-positioned from scratch.

- The answer to the questions might be, is there a way to move a clip without the automatic snap function working, that closes the gap? Maybe that can be turned off?

It sounds like your clips are arranged in video groups. If so, that's just how it works. And, you can't turn off the snap function.

If you right click on the video group layer in the layers palette, you can ungroup the layers. If you do that, the clips will be positioned in the timeline one track per layer/clip. You can move or delete clips individually without affecting the position of the clips in the other tracks.

I'd like to know which program - Prelude, Lightroom, and Bridge - which I assume are the options - is the, or the best, option for this:
I have a lot of video files, and I need to isolate sections from them that have certain subject content.
I'd like to be able to view a video, scrub fast through it, set in and out points, and save the clip portion to some kind of sub-folder or list, to be used in one project (right now that would be Photoshop but may have to switch to PE12).

Prelude is designed to do this sort of activity, but it only works in conjunction with Premiere Pro. Since you aren't using Premiere Pro, this isn't an option. Bridge does not provide for setting in and out points. That leaves Lightroom. Lightroom versions 4 and 5 can do this. You can scrub a video and set in and out points, but only one set per clip. If you have multiple sections per clip, you can create a virtual copy of the clip and add the other in out points to that. The drawback to using Lightroom is that you must export the clips from Lightroom in order to use the modified clips. That means rendering out to a file. If you were using an actual video editor such as Premiere Elements or Premiere Pro, you would be able to create subclips from within the editor and use them in your project without the preliminary export which is certainly more efficient.
Bob

Postby ChancyRat » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:10 pm

Oh thanks for some input on this. My newbie post on the other forum has yet to be approved to post at all.

Bob wrote:

This is controlled by clip selection. If more than one clip is selected at the same time they will move together. You can select the clips in either the time line or the layers panel.

I think what you said, is what I said? Using Ctrl- or Shift-click to group them, then you can move them. Or by "clip" do you mean row? All the clips on one row, so if I select multiple rows I can move them as a set? I'm not visualizing how that works.

It sounds like your clips are arranged in video groups. If so, that's just how it works. And, you can't turn off the snap function.

Wahhh.

If you right click on the video group layer in the layers palette, you can ungroup the layers. If you do that, the clips will be positioned in the timeline one track per layer/clip. You can move or delete clips individually without affecting the position of the clips in the other tracks.

Very helpful, thanks. I can see how this is a solution, maybe the only solution, and that it would be workable if you don't have many clip bits.

Prelude is designed to do this sort of activity, but it only works in conjunction with Premiere Pro.

I viewed a tutorial on Prelude, and it said that when you ingest, at the ingest stage you can make subclips (in-out sets) that get exported as separate files. In the dropdown list of options I saw H.264 or mpeg4 as options. Is it possible to find them in their folder and use them in Photoshop from that point? Then in the main Prelude screen, one can make multiple subclips from one clip there as well, but I gather they don't get processed as separate files when you make a (I think it was called) workgroup.

Since you aren't using Premiere Pro, this isn't an option. Bridge does not provide for setting in and out points.

That leaves Lightroom. Lightroom versions 4 and 5 can do this. You can scrub a video and set in and out points, but only one set per clip. If you have multiple sections per clip, you can create a virtual copy of the clip and add the other in out points to that. The drawback to using Lightroom is that you must export the clips from Lightroom in order to use the modified clips. That means rendering out to a file. If you were using an actual video editor such as Premiere Elements or Premiere Pro, you would be able to create subclips from within the editor and use them in your project without the preliminary export which is certainly more efficient.

I think all in all this is saying one has very few options when using Photoshop for video when there is an edit need for working with lots of clips and rows....

Your information is extremely helpful.
Maybe I should use try using Pro again, if I could get past my PTSD from the titler crashes... Maybe use it ONLY to export subclips. Or - how is PE12 doing compared to PE7? I was pretty good with PE7 and it never crashed with titler.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:51 am

I think what you said, is what I said? Using Ctrl- or Shift-click to group them, then you can move them.

Yes. There is no way to select a row(aka track). You can only select the files (i.e. clips) on a row. You can select clips from multiple rows at the same time. This is most useful when not using video groups as relative positions are not necessarily maintained in video groups.

I viewed a tutorial on Prelude, and it said that when you ingest, at the ingest stage you can make subclips (in-out sets) that get exported as separate files. In the dropdown list of options I saw H.264 or mpeg4 as options. Is it possible to find them in their folder and use them in Photoshop from that point? Then in the main Prelude screen, one can make multiple subclips from one clip there as well, but I gather they don't get processed as separate files when you make a (I think it was called) workgroup.

I have it as part of Production Premium CS6. Is that what you have?

Yes, you can mark in and out points and, using the transcode option, export media as H.264 mpeg4 or mov files. Photoshop CS6 does support that type of media file and you can import and use them. If you use markers to create subclips, those are not exported as separate files. You would need to use Premiere Pro to be able to recognize and use the defined subclips.

The last version of Premiere Elements I used was version 7. I switched completely to Premiere Pro. I haven't had any problems with the titler crashing as you have. I have found Premiere Pro CS6 to be very stable on my system. I know the titler is sensitive to problems with fonts. Perhaps you have a font that may be causing problems. I can't recall, did you look into that a while ago?
Bob

Postby ChancyRat » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:35 pm

Bob wrote:

I have it as part of Production Premium CS6. Is that what you have?

Yes, you can mark in and out points and, using the transcode option, export media as H.264 mpeg4 or mov files. Photoshop CS6 does support that type of media file and you can import and use them. If you use markers to create subclips, those are not exported as separate files. You would need to use Premiere Pro to be able to recognize and use the defined subclips.

The last version of Premiere Elements I used was version 7. I switched completely to Premiere Pro. I haven't had any problems with the titler crashing as you have. I have found Premiere Pro CS6 to be very stable on my system. I know the titler is sensitive to problems with fonts. Perhaps you have a font that may be causing problems. I can't recall, did you look into that a while ago?

I have a free license to all the programs in CS6, but I'm not sure if it's "production premium". I chose not to install most of the programs because it wasn't clear I needed them. I can get Prelude if needed.

Re: Premiere Pro CS6, I never solved the titler crashing problem. Removed all fonts and reinstalled only the system fonts. Reinstalled the program several times over the ensuing attempts to fix it. After trying multiple times myself, I let Adobe remotely log in. They reviewed my system specs (OK'd it), reinstalled the program, ran some tests, but on opening any kind of new or existing project and attempting to do a title, it crashed. Well, once or twice it did not, but then it would, eventually, 100% of the time. Adobe then blamed Microsoft. I let Microsoft log in, and they ran some tests, ok'd my system, reinstalled the program, and it crashed in the same pattern. MS blamed Adobe.

I blame Adobe, I think. I think they may not have enough of an understanding of the system specs required for the titler program. Or, I hadn't reached the right level of help. I say this because one thing one Adobe person along the way (but he was not the final one who gave up on me) told me that the titler subprogram in particular requires - now I'm not going to remember this properly - needs Full admin access. So - my computer does have an additional administrator account, and my work IT folks can access the machine if needed. The Adobe person roamed (remotely) through the permissions set for the system, and that was when he made that comment. Something about, there can be no restrictions or limits of any kind. I'm sure that's not the proper summary statement, but what stuck in my mind was whether the additional admin account was knocking something off kilter. He did not delve deeper into this or say anything else.

Since then I have done a clean re-install of the OS because I got a trojan, so my system is brand spanking new, so to speak, with no new additional fonts added in (yet). I do have Premiere Pro installed, I just haven't wanted to risk crashing the program again. PTSD, you see.

Maybe I should try PE12... I really don't need Pro...
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:32 pm

It seems odd that the titler would need full administrative access. It so happens that my user account is marked as administrator, perhaps that's why I don't crash. But, I don't run Premiere Pro as administrator and normally anything that requires elevated privilege would pop up a UAC prompt -- which definitely doesn't happen. Very odd indeed.

It won't hurt to try PE12. Version 13 should be out in a few weeks too.
Bob

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:21 am

Bob wrote: It won't hurt to try PE12. Version 13 should be out in a few weeks too.

I am not superstitious or anything. But I hope they don't call it Version 13 :).

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:32 am

VernonRobinson wrote:I am not superstitious or anything. But I hope they don't call it Version 13 :).

Not a problem for me. As years go by I'm less and less superstitious, but they skipped from V4 to V7 so they could just make the new one V14 to avoid it. Some buildings do that with their floor numbers. Silly humans. :)
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby ChancyRat » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:06 pm

Bob wrote:It seems odd that the titler would need full administrative access. It so happens that my user account is marked as administrator, perhaps that's why I don't crash. But, I don't run Premiere Pro as administrator and normally anything that requires elevated privilege would pop up a UAC prompt -- which definitely doesn't happen. Very odd indeed.

It won't hurt to try PE12. Version 13 should be out in a few weeks too.

Hmmm, even further, every Adobe person told me to run Pro as administrator, at all times. Even though I never had. Yet when I did start doing so, to see if that solved the titler problem, it did not. So above and beyond every Adobe person telling me always run Pro as administrator, the one Adobe tech highlighted the title subprogram as having further or more complex requirements to access the entire computer. For some reason I'm using "access to the entire computer" to be the same as "full admin access". I believe he said both of these so I assumed they were basically the same.

I have Win 7 Enterprise... wonder if that's part of the issue... although no tech objected to it. But it certainly would have something to do with networking and "other" admin access, I would think.

I sure wish this could be again addressed by Adobe but have no idea how that could happen.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ChancyRat » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:12 pm

By the way, I believe I did see somewhere on Adobe's site that Pro must be run as administrator, so I think that's public.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ChancyRat » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:09 pm

I had another "how to" question for Photoshop video, that I had searched in vain to discover, which is, is it possible to export a single frame from a video clip on the timeline, to its own image. To my delight, just now I stumbled onto an answer from this video whose subject is Photoshop Playbook: Masking Video for Special Effects. So who knew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU2zHuzS6DI

Julieanne Kost:
- Set the length of a clip. Julieanne moved the end of the clip, but that seems unrelated to the frame-to-image-making process.
- Moved the cursor on the timeline to the beginning of the clip - where that first frame will be the single image. She didn't state this as such, however. Because the video is of a waterfall, I had to study the water to determine that it was the first frame that became the still image.
[So, if I interpret correctly, you need to move the start point of the clip, to start at the frame that you want to become a single image. The full duration of the clip is irrelevant to the process.]
- Ctrl-a to copy all. [Not obvious at all that you will be copying only a single frame!]
- Ctrl-v to paste. And what pastes is one frame whose duration can you change as you wish.

The masking of the motion of the waterfall in her example is interesting.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:20 pm

I hadn't seen that video before, but it hits the mark. I've done similar things.

If you just want to export a single frame, you don't need to change the length. That had more to do with setting up the masking example. The key is moving the CTI to the frame that you want to copy and export. Collapse the video group as shown in the video, then ctrl+a to select the entire image, ctrl+c to copy the image to the clipboard, and then ctrl+v to paste it. It will appear in the layers palette and on the timeline at the cti location. You can export the single frame or use it in the video as desired.
Bob

Next

Return to Photoshop