They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Questions re Inkjet-Printing of DVDs

Hardware, software, and methods for displaying & distributing your creations.

Questions re Inkjet-Printing of DVDs

Postby George Tyndall » Sun May 15, 2011 2:17 pm

1. Do the more experienced members attempt to remove the ink from the spindle while it is still wet? What do you use for this?

2. Can anyone suggest the name of a laquer-spray to apply to the dried ink surface? How long should one wait before applying the spray?

:?:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Questions re Inkjet-Printing of DVDs

Postby Paul LS » Sun May 15, 2011 2:49 pm

Hi George, I use the Epson R220 printer and the software that comes with it allows you to set the print area... inner and outer radius, so it does not print on the spindle.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun May 15, 2011 3:08 pm

Re Paul's comments - same here. Epson Artisan 725. I tweaked the settings to get the results that I wanted so the margins are safe, both inner and outer. This had to be adjusted when I went from Ty Yuden to Verbatim. The ink is never wet when it finishes printing. In some cases it has a very slightly damp feeling if brushed across a cheek, but will not smear when a dry finger is run lightly across it. If I've put down a pretty heavy layer of ink I'll sometimes just set the disc aside to dry for a while before I put it in a sleeve or in a player. Epson says to let dry 24 hours, but I've never printed a disc that I would be afraid to use after it has set for a short period of time.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby George Tyndall » Sun May 15, 2011 3:32 pm

Paul LS wrote:Hi George, I use the Epson R220 printer and the software that comes with it allows you to set the print area... inner and outer radius, so it does not print on the spindle.

I'm using SureThing5, which has some fabulous options for printing a DVD/DVDJacket combo, rather than the software that came with my Epson Artisan 50, and I did not see the option that you mention.

It's not a problem with the HP SD DVDs, as the spindle area is very small and seems to take ink well, but the Panasonic BD-R has that big spindle which is white and announces that it is a BD-R. I tried some Kodak BD-Rs, which have small spindles simiar to the HP SDs, but they are not recognized by my LG Blu-ray writer. (Wonder if the following is the reason? The Panasonics are $7 each in individual cases, while the Kodaks were 25 for $40 on a spindle.) :roll:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sun May 15, 2011 4:07 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:Epson says to let dry 24 hours, but I've never printed a disc that I would be afraid to use after it has set for a short period of time.

The reason I made the post is that, when i recorded the disc immediately after printing it, the centrifugal force from recording caused some ink around the spindle to spill outwards.

BTW, problem solved!

It turns out that the ink on the BD-R spindle can be easily wiped away with a dry cotton bud.

:fg:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Sun May 15, 2011 7:08 pm

George Tyndall wrote:
The reason I made the post is that, when i recorded the disc immediately after printing it, the centrifugal force from recording caused some ink around the spindle to spill outwards.

:fg:

I always print the discs after I burn them, and let them dry overnight. I try a coaster first on a 75% ink savings setting to make sure the template is OK. (I have a lot of coasters from the time before I switched from cheap discs to Ty and Verbatim.)

I use an HP printer and Acoustica Label Maker, which allows full adjustment of the inner and outer diameters, as well as verticle and horizontal fine adjustments, thus no ink mess.
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Mon May 16, 2011 12:25 am

Peru, thanks for the reply.

:hat:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bill Hunt » Mon May 16, 2011 7:29 pm

Epson R-1900 here, and most of my DVD/BD art is done in PS. I created a template with Paths, to give me my guides. Then, I Import that PS file into the Epson software, add little things, if needed, set the "Inner Circle" to what I need, and print.

I also allow to dry overnight, and do not treat the discs in any other way. To date, the Epson inks hold nicely, and while they can be scratched, cannot be easily rubbed off, even with a rough cloth.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Video/Photo/Music Viewing and Sharing