They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Quality Issue On 4K Streamed Vimeo Video

Hardware, software, and methods for displaying & distributing your creations.

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:34 pm

I've used Vimeo for some years and I've always been happy with the quality. This past week I was playing around with a new GoPro that I mounted to the inside of the windshield. After uploading to Vimeo (4K, 30fps) I wasn't happy with the quality of the results on my 1080 TV, specifically what appeared to be blocky-looking "resolution" issues in the faster moving parts of the video - the area near the front of the vehicle. For reference, I would compare this to the quality of an old homemade VHS tape. I've seen this before in YouTube videos and always blamed it on cheap equipment being used by the vlogger, but now I'm not sure that's necessarily true. This is the first time that I can recall creating video that had fast-moving content, so it's not something that I've seen before.

I went back and watched the original file on my 4K computer monitor and found that none of those issues are present. I then watched it on my computer monitor streaming from Vimeo and that looks good too. So now I'm wondering if the problem is in the way that the 1080 TV interprets the 4K video from Vimeo. I'm no longer blaming Vimeo but I'm not 100% sure where the issue lies. I'm watching Vimeo through the Vimeo app an Amazon Fire TV Cube. Comments anyone?

Edit: I thought maybe it was the Vimeo app so I tried it through Firefox and Amazon Silk (still using the Fire TV) with the same results. I’m thinking it’s either the Fire TV Cube or the TV itself.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Quality Issue On 4K Streamed Vimeo Video

Postby sidd finch » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:15 pm

Dave first off congratulations on the GoPro I hope it serves you well. Sounds like if you are using it in the car you must be trying to do a remake of Steve's movie the Porter file.... nice choice.

I suspect that the issue is coming from the stream to the TV. Depending on what streamer you are using you might be having issues with the streaming bandwidth which is lowered to tv than to a computer. With streaming video, you must account for internet speed, Wi-Fi connectivity, the capabilities of your streaming device, and your individual streaming services, which have their own unique set of reliability issues.

Check your streaming device’s connection speed to see if your streaming device is having connection problems, and run a speed test on it.

I think this link might help:

https://www.techhive.com/article/338801 ... blems.html

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:33 pm

Thanks for your reply Sidd. The speed test comes in at 100.12 Mbps so I don’t think that’s it. Good theory tho.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:18 pm

Well Sidd, I went out today and made some test clips at various combinations of resolutions and fps. Got them off the camera and examined them on the computer monitor. The results were pretty much as I had already thought they would be, but not a one showed any signs of the issue I described above. The TV has a USB port that I’ve never used. I think I’ll see if it will allow me to play a video directly. I’m really interested in figuring out where the blame lies. I kind of wish I had a home media server, but not enough to actually pull the trigger. Hmmmm...

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:25 pm

Dave I wonder if you are having buffering issues with the stream to the TV like the TV can’t keep up. You might try having the video play at a lower resolution on Vimeo. Same 4K video just playing at a lower res. Then if it is clear you will know that’s the issue.

My guess is it is still something with Vimeo.

Sidd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:05 am

Dave McElderry wrote:...After uploading to Vimeo (4K, 30fps) I wasn't happy with the quality of the results on my 1080 TV, specifically what appeared to be blocky-looking "resolution" issues in the faster moving parts of the video - the area near the front of the vehicle.

Could it be that the 1080 TV is downrezzing the 4K video stream and not very efficiently?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:08 am

sidd finch wrote:You might try having the video play at a lower resolution on Vimeo. Same 4K video just playing at a lower res.

My guess is it is still something with Vimeo.

I can’t find that option when playing a Vimeo vid on my TV.

Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:11 am

John McDonald wrote:Could it be that the 1080 TV is downrezzing the 4K video stream and not very efficiently?

That was my original thought John, except that 4K vids from other people seem to be exceptionally good, even on my 1080 TV. A puzzle.

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:14 am

Might be kind of a stretch...but when you export the 4k from your editor what bit rate are you using? Vimeo suggest between 30-60mbps. You might have exported your video at a bit rate that is larger than that.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:21 am

sidd finch wrote:Might be kind of a stretch...but when you export the 4k from your editor what bit rate are you using? Vimeo suggest between 30-60mbps. You might have exported your video at a bit rate that is larger than that.

Bit rate is 60Mbps. It was worth a shot. Thanks.

Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:30 pm

Okay, I uploaded a short clip of the mentioned video, using the same settings. Now I'm seeing it on my computer monitor too. Here's the clip - please tell me what you see. I'm talking about "crud" in the first 25 feet or so in front of the vehicle, which is of course the area where the data is changing the fastest.

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:42 pm

Ahh I see what you are talking about. I think the artifacts is being cause by the 30fps. Motion like that can really use 60fps. But you can also try using an ND filter to help remove that next time you record.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:03 pm

sidd finch wrote:Ahh I see what you are talking about. I think the artifacts is being cause by the 30fps. Motion like that can really use 60fps. But you can also try using an ND filter to help remove that next time you record.

I would agree except that the file that I created and uploaded to Vimeo has none of that. It looks clean.

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:36 pm

Still not sure of the cause but I do know that I get a similar issue when I created a kaleidoscope I would export it and some of the areas were blotchy. If I re-render it again it would disappear and the show up somewhere else in the same video.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:01 pm

sidd finch wrote:Still not sure of the cause but I do know that I get a similar issue when I created a kaleidoscope I would export it and some of the areas were blotchy. If I re-render it again it would disappear and the show up somewhere else in the same video.

Well that’s not good. In this particular case I do think it’s related to the higher bitrate needed in the parts with more motion. But so far things just don’t add up to pinpointing the exact point of failure.

Dave McElderry

Next

Return to Video/Photo/Music Viewing and Sharing