They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

transfer video from camcorder to iPad ?

Hardware, software, and methods for displaying & distributing your creations.

transfer video from camcorder to iPad ?

Postby Barb O » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:16 pm

I am thinking of purchasing an iPad - either an iPad 2 or the new iPad. One objective is to transfer my camcorder video directly (not using a computer as an intermediate step) from the camcorder to the iPad for playback of video just taken at a family gathering.

However, it seems that the video formats which an iPad supports are very limited.
-- My HD camcorder (Canon vixia hf m31) produces .mts (AVCHD) files which can be downconverted jn the camera to SD .mpg (MPEG-2) files
-- Even if I purchase the Apple camera connection kit, I don't know if it will transfer the .mts or the .mpg video files to the iPad from an SDHC card or the USB connected camcorder.

Has anyone attempted this type of video file transfer ?
Do you have any general suggestions for playback from a tablet (either an iPad or an Android tablet) of video just taken at a family gathering ?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: transfer video from camcorder to iPad ?

Postby sidd finch » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:54 pm

The iPad requires an MPG4 file to play the video. I use the camera connection kit with my Flip camera and it works great, but the Flip records MPG4 files. I am using an iPad 2 so I am not sure how the new iPad works.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:19 pm

Sidd's comment makes sense. With pocket camcorders that record in portable MP4s, this might well work.

But your AVCHD camcorder records full resolution, edit-quality hi-def video! That's about 1 gigabyte for every 4 or 5 minutes of video. It might not be the best format to send to a portable viewing device like an iPad.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby GerryB » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:05 am

Barb O,

I use a Canon HV40 and I wanted to export clips to the iPad & iPhone as well and after banging my head on the brick wall, I still have the lumps, Steve, Ron and co. here at Muvipix put me on the right tracks.

I take the video files into PrPro CS5 and use the basic iPod/H.264 export setting to set up clips that I can export. I now have some setting that I use to create a clip about 30 sec long and 3MB 'small' which I can email to iPhones, iPads and Android phones/devices. I can also code files in PrEl 9 and so if I wish to create longer files I have the settings.

I should say I can also transfer the files via iTunes/USB if I don't want to be bothered with the WiFi email route.

You can download various video players from the App Store that will play videos in various formats but you have to go through the USB & file transfer route. I decided against this route as getting other users to load the videos/mp4 easily was a key factor in deciding on going with mp4 coding in PrPro.

Best wishes,

Gerry
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Barb O » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:48 pm

Gerry, I will use your desriptions for creating output from Premiere Elements to play on the iPad at a later date. However, right now my objective is to play my video on the iPad immediately after taken at a family events and without needing a computer as an intermediate step.

Steve, I understand your comment about the characteristics of that High Def (1080) video not being a good match for iPad video playback. So instead I will focus on being able to play the downsized SD MPEG-2 variation.

There are many player apps for the iPad and some say they can play mpeg-2. My dilema now seems to be transfering the .mpg file from the SD card directly to the iPad.

Does anyone know if the Apple camera connection kit (SD card slot or USB connect) will transfer the .mpg file ?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby GerryB » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:40 am

Barb,
The m31 appears to have a HDMI output connector and you can buy iPad/HDMI adapters, have you tried this route?
I have tried the iPad/VGA adapter and that works.
Best wishes,
Gerry

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:03 pm

The iPad will only play mpeg 4, h.264 encoded and or motion jpeg. The HDMI is an output only and cannot be used as an input source. If you choose the jailbreak approach there might be more options.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby GerryB » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:14 pm

Thanks for that Sidd, something else to lodge in the shrinking brain.
Gerry

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Barb O » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:10 pm

sidd finch wrote:The iPad will only play mpeg 4, h.264 encoded and or motion jpeg. The HDMI is an output only and cannot be used as an input source. If you choose the jailbreak approach there might be more options.

Sidd,
I do not want to jailbreak. Are you saying that there is no hope that a video player app on the iPad would be able to play MPEG-2 standard def video ?

Gerry, thanks for making suggestions.
I have used the HDMI out of the camcorder to play back our video on an HD TV via its HDMI input and that worked well. However unfortunately this does not solve my current dilemma for the iPad.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:34 pm

There are Apps out there like Buzz Player and VLC player, The Apps that play AVI and MPEG2 etc do not seem to do a real good job of it. but I do not see support for AVCHD on the iPad. Might need to wait for the iPad 4. :)

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby sidd finch » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:43 am

Yes many great applications to convert to an iPad friendly format. I think the original premise was to transfer directly to the iPad with out a conversion step.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby mark hansen » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:28 pm

Along those same lines... does any one of a "thing a ma bob" that will display video from a Camcorder and display it on an iPad?. taking an analog three jack RCA plugs would be fine. I'm thinking for the times I have the tripod up on a table in a static position (like for grandkids school presentations) and would love to monitor what's being recorded by the camera (not the iPad).

Done some searches on the secnd best place to find answers (google) and nothing. the apple store scratched there head at that too.

Mark
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:28 pm

Th iPad does not accept a live video feed. It only outputs video. Your best bet would be to purchase a small field monitor

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby mark hansen » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:43 pm

Thanks Sidd... so much for that idea.
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Video/Photo/Music Viewing and Sharing