They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Quality Issue On 4K Streamed Vimeo Video

Hardware, software, and methods for displaying & distributing your creations.

Re: Quality Issue On 4K Streamed Vimeo Video

Postby Bob » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:41 pm

I know that my monitor is 4K and my download speed is far above what should be necessary for maximum quality.

Going back to the start of this topic, you were talking about the blocky playback using the Vimeo app on your 1080 Amazon Fire TV Cube. You also said the playback on the 4K monitor was fine. The 1080 TV will be streamed the downrezed 1080p video at a max of 7Mbps per the Vimeo resolution page. It could be lower. Your download speed might not be the bottle neck. That's just your terminal connection from your provider to you. The bandwidth elsewhere along the path through the Internet to the Vimeo server may be less. There could also be an issue with the Vimeo app on the TV not handling a faster bitrate. I don't know.

The clip you posted Monday clearly shows compression artifacts (most likely the result of compression to a lower bitrate by Vimeo), especially in the area where you have the greatest motion. You also said that clip was now showing the artifacts on the 4K monitor. That takes the onus away from the Vimeo app on the TV and points more to a slowdown in the Internet path to you or possibly an issue with the Vimeo servers. Could it be possible that your Internet provider is setting Quality of Service parameters that may throttle down certain types of traffic? Again, I don't know. I was seeing it on my desktop so I think it may be more aggressive compression on Vimeo's behalf. Just guessing.

Vimeo says that you should specify variable bitrate encoding. Are you doing that?
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:14 am

Dave I also have a GoPro 9 and using the protune setting opens up a lot of additional settings.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:28 am

Bob wrote:
I know that my monitor is 4K and my download speed is far above what should be necessary for maximum quality.

Going back to the start of this topic, you were talking about the blocky playback using the Vimeo app on your 1080 Amazon Fire TV Cube. You also said the playback on the 4K monitor was fine. The 1080 TV will be streamed the downrezed 1080p video at a max of 7Mbps per the Vimeo resolution page. It could be lower. Your download speed might not be the bottle neck. That's just your terminal connection from your provider to you. The bandwidth elsewhere along the path through the Internet to the Vimeo server may be less. There could also be an issue with the Vimeo app on the TV not handling a faster bitrate. I don't know.

The clip you posted Monday clearly shows compression artifacts (most likely the result of compression to a lower bitrate by Vimeo), especially in the area where you have the greatest motion. You also said that clip was now showing the artifacts on the 4K monitor. That takes the onus away from the Vimeo app on the TV and points more to a slowdown in the Internet path to you or possibly an issue with the Vimeo servers. Could it be possible that your Internet provider is setting Quality of Service parameters that may throttle down certain types of traffic? Again, I don't know. I was seeing it on my desktop so I think it may be more aggressive compression on Vimeo's behalf. Just guessing.

Vimeo says that you should specify variable bitrate encoding. Are you doing that?

The Fire TV Cube is 4K capable, if it makes any difference. I do understand that there are a lot of variables. I have no faith that my ISP isn't throttling anything - it's possible. Yes, I'm using a VBR when encoding. But bottom line, what's bothering me is that motion 4K content like the YouTube video I posted above is as good as it gets in amateur creation, in my opinion, and it's being played through the exact same equipment as my Vimeo video. I'm trying to discover the key difference in the chain.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:33 am

sidd finch wrote:Dave I also have a GoPro 9 and using the protune setting opens up a lot of additional settings.

I can appreciate that. I've read that the stock settings are supposed to be capable of producing high quality video on their own, and thought I'd better start with learning the fundamentals before playing with the tweaks. I will definitely be learning more about the Protune options as I go. Thanks Sidd.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:28 am

Dave any joy since you last post?

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:11 am

sidd finch wrote:Dave any joy since you last post?

I've been kind of dead in the water Sidd. We have some nice weather coming up over the next couple of days. I thought maybe I'd run a different test under sunny conditions and see if it makes a difference. I do appreciate all the input folks have given me.

Dave McElderry

Previous

Return to Video/Photo/Music Viewing and Sharing