They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Platform Questions MVSP After Effects Hit Film ?

Talk with some experts about this compelling motion graphics and visual effects software.

Platform Questions MVSP After Effects Hit Film ?

Postby Jeffrey W. Arnold » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:56 am

I am working on getting a video business up and running. Doing this has taught me a great deal across a wide spectrum of topics dealing with everything from UBI numbers, IRS, Trade names, licensing, etc. It has also caused me to review things like the equipment, and software that I will use to produce my product. I am planning on doing several types of video including , but not limited to, wedding videos, event videos, sales training videos, videos for drama and local plays, local music videos, etc. I am thinking about the need to upgrade from Movie Studio Platinum 12, to either the Pro version or After Effects. Steve said After Effects is the Gold Medal Standard for video editing. Also so, recently I learned about "Hit Film" on this website, so I am not sure how I should proceed.Does anyone have knowledge about what would be the best way to go here? Is the jump from a Vegas product to After Effects difficult? I am interested in hearing what you have to say.
Thanks Jeff,

Dell XPS 27 Windows 8 Intel i7 64 bit NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2TB HD Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12
Jeffrey W. Arnold

Re: Platform Questions MVSP After Effects Hit Film ?

Postby momoffduty » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:17 pm

Hi Jeffrey, After Effects is not a NLE (non linear editor) so you will need Premiere Pro or what you are currently using to edit the video. After Effects would be good to make animated titles for your work, but maybe for your needs the titler in your program is sufficient. Not sure what your needs are besides editing video. If you are looking to add special effects to projects, After Effects may be a good fit. The program does have a learning curve. If you are familiar with Photoshop then you are a step ahead in learning.

I am not familiar with Movie Studio Platinum so maybe someone else can respond to using the Pro version.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:48 pm

After Effects and Hit Film are compositing applications. While you can do some basic editing with them, the real power is in special effects, composites, and animation of effects. Movie Studio is an editing application. While it does have some basic special effects and animation capability, it's strength is in editing the video and preparing it for distribution. At the very least, you will need an editor. Whether studio or Pro is going to depend on your needs. After Effects and Hit Film are complementary to your editor and you may or may not need them depending on what types of effects you will be using in your video. I understand that Sony is now including Hit Film Express or Ultimate in the studio and Pro suites respectively. That might do everything you will need.

Keep in mind that After Effects has been around a long time and there are many pre-built templates that you can purchase for various effects and uses. Not so much for Hit Film at this point. Google After Effects Templates for some examples.
Bob

Postby Jeffrey W. Arnold » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:02 am

Thanks for the help and information Bob, and Momoffduty, If I understand each of you correctly, it sounds like I am safe to continue working with Movie Studio Platinum 12, or step up to the Pro version for my editing needs. Mono, you mentioned that After Effects is a non-linear editor; do you know if the special effects created in After Effects can then be used in Movie Studio Platinum? The learning curve you talked about, is that something that some one familiar with Movie Studio could pick up in short order in your opinion? Bob, you mentioned that the need for the editing of Movie Studio, or the Pro version would depend on the application that I might be doing. In your opinion does the Pro version offer enough extras to make the extra cost worth it?
Thanks Jeff,

Dell XPS 27 Windows 8 Intel i7 64 bit NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2TB HD Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12
Jeffrey W. Arnold

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:32 am

My twopennyworth, Jeffrey.

Think of the After Effects learning curve as trying to climb a sheer cliff face for the first time. Very daunting, difficult even intimidating and it takes a lot of time. But once you have mastered that first climb and become a little familiar with some aspects of the "equipment" and how to use it really well, then you are on your way. Still plenty to learn though, with many challenges ahead before one can consider that they are beginning to master the software.

With what I have read about HitFilm, if I hadn't already got After Effect then I would think very seriously about getting the former.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:21 am

Here is Sony's feature comparison of the various Vegas consumer and pro products. Take a look at it to get a general feel for the differences. In general, the Pro products will have less of the consumer level features and effects and have fewer limitations. Some things will pretty much force you to the Pro version. For example if you need more than 20 video tracks or you need to import footage from a Panasonic video camera that records using P2. Those things are only in the Pro version. Likewise if you are preparing video for broadcast you'll probably want to use the scopes for color correction to ensure broadcast legal output -- those are in the Pro versions. I can't tell you whether the Pro version is worth it as that depends on your specific needs. If you need the Pro features it's worth it. If you don't, it isn't.

After Effects does not dynamically link to Sony Vegas. However, anything you do in After Effects can be exported as footage that you can import into your Sony Vegas Project. Likewise, After Effects can import and use footage that you export from your Vegas project. See this video regarding workflow for an idea of how it would work. After Effect has a lot of functionality and it will take time to master it. But, there are some good video courses that will help you get going.

If you get the version of Vegas that comes with Hit Film or Hit Film light, take a look at it. I don't feel it's as powerful or sophisticated a compositer as After Effects, but It may be able to satisfy your needs.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:13 pm

Just to clarify, After Efffects is NOT a NLE. I think John & Bob summed it pretty good. Learning After Effects takes some dedicated time because it is capable of doing a lot of different things. Just like Photoshop for a photographer is different for a graphic artist. I once read that After Effects is like Photoshop on steroids. :)

Before investing time & money in AE, upgrade your video editor first and see if it meets your needs.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Jeffrey W. Arnold » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:16 am

Thanks for the clarification and suggestion Monoffduty, I do find your suggestion helpful. As it stands currently, my plan is to proceed with MSP12 until may, and then I will upgrade to the Pro version. In the mean time, I will continue reading Steve's Books, and doing some of the Tutorials on this website. Your suggestion helped me reach my decision mainly because I haven't ever used Photo Shop, and Effects is a step up from there. My thinking is the learning curve may be too great to be practical for my immediate needs.
Thanks Jeff,

Jeffrey W. Arnold

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:19 pm

Will your video business be a sideline gig or your primary source of income? Have you worked with a video production company before? Have you done any "paid gigs" yet?
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jeffrey W. Arnold » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:25 am

Great questions Ron, as of this very day I finally am official meaning; Washington State Business registration, UBI number, IRS EIN, City Business registration, etc. I still have some things to do before taking on jobs, such as getting set up to take credit cards, insurance, etc. etc. I currently work in management for a large Aerospace company. I want to get my own company up and running. The good news is my income is significant so I can support the start up of my Business until it can support itself. I have however done videos for two companies that they use on their websites, Wedding Videos for friends, music videos for three different local artist, all for free to get the experience. The feed back has been good, and instructive. I had some of the people tell me that I should consider doing it as a business. It will be a learning process as I have much to learn. I have never worked with a video production company before.
Thanks Jeff,

Jeffrey W. Arnold

Postby vkmast » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:06 am

Bob wrote:If you get the version of Vegas that comes with Hit Film or Hit Film light, take a look at it.

Vegas Pro 12 Suite includes HitFilm 2 Ultimate.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegasprosuite
The Movie Studio 12 product line had a package called Movie Studio Platinum Visual Effects Suite 2, which included HitFilm 2 Express. So far there's no version of Movie Studio 13, which would include HF 2 Express, though it's available through the SCS store and can be integrated with MSP 13. HitFilm 2 Ultimate is available also direct from the FXHome/HitFilm site, which has free demos of both.
http://hitfilm.com/faqs/view/1
vkmast

Return to After Effects