They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

AE CS6

Talk with some experts about this compelling motion graphics and visual effects software.

AE CS6

Postby momoffduty » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:08 pm

I've watched the What's New in CS6 on Lynda.com by Chris Meyer and very happy with the new version. My new build isn't ready yet nor my AE disc is here, but I have a few questions. Moving from CS4 to CS6 appears to be a big step.

1. Is there a list of new features, effects, etc in a blog or pdf?
2. Will AE support video files from a DSLR? AE CS4 would not because of the temporal, or interframe compression. Should I first export Qtime Animation from PrPro? I've read that a lot of editors use ProRes, but is this for a Mac only? (I'm on Windows)
3. I have been using CS4 Extended which had the Tool Kit to change parameters in a script. Is this included in CS6? When I did my upgrade I didn't see a CS6 Extended.
4. Is Adobe Speed Grade included or is this for the Suite only?
5. The tut said to have your Disc Cache set to the SSD (which will have my OS and program files). What value should I enter? My media will be on the 2nd drive which is RAID. Any other preferences I should set up?

Thanks
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: AE CS6

Postby Bob » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:55 pm

See the After Effects CS6 reference. The first section on what's new includes CS6, CS5.5, and CS5.

I have Production Premium CS6, not the point products. The extendscript toolkit is included in that -- I believe it is included with Photoshop. Speed Grade comes with the suite, not with Premiere Pro CS6.

Prores is a Mac codec.

Adobe does still sell Photoshop CS6 standard Edition and Photoshop CS6 Extended edition separately.

I would not put the cache on the same SSD as the OS.

Which products did you buy? After Effects CS6, Premiere Pro CS6, and Photoshop CS6? Don't forget, if you have Premiere Pro CS6 and After Effects CS6 you can use dynamic link to pass back and forth between them without needing to render to a file. Dynamic Link in CS6 works much better also. See this Andrew Devis Tut: http://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/AE-Basics-55-Export-1/1
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:16 am

Thanks Bob for the reference guide. On page 527 regarding Disc Cache:

For the best performance with disk caching, select a folder that’s on a different physical hard disk than your source footage. If possible, the folder
should be on a hard disk that uses a different drive controller than the disk that contains your source footage. A fast hard drive or SSD with as
much space allocated as possible is recommended for the disk cache folder. The disk cache folder can’t be the root folder of the hard disk.

Why should I not put on the same drive as the OS?

I upgraded to AE CS6 & PrPro CS6. I have PS CS5, not extended. When I purchased PS I thought the 3D was available, but then realized that was only the extended. Doesn't matter now because AE CS6 doesn't support the PS 3D exports. I read on an AE forum there was problems with the importing and things weren't lining up correctly. I have AE CS4 which was listed as extended. Mocha was a standalone and pixel bender and the toolkit. Exponential Scale was only in the extended version too (if I remember correctly.) That was why I was wondering if that is now all included in CS6 except for Pixel Bender.

Thanks for the tut, the dynamic link will be handy. Guess I'll try the DSLR footage and if I have problems will export as Animation from PrPro.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:27 pm

I don't think you will have any problems with DSLR footage.

There are two reasons I would not put the cache on the system SSD drive. The main reason is that the SSD capacity is small compared to a conventional drive and a good chunk of that will be filled with the OS and installed programs. The disk cache needs to be large -- the larger the better. The default size with AE5.5 was 20GB and AE6 changed that to 10% of the drive with the intent that it would be more than 20GB. On a 1TB drive that would be 100GB, for example. The disk cache supports the persistent cache feature and does not clear automatically when the program is closed. The second reason is that the System drive is a busy place and you will be competing with the system activity. The SSD does not have seek and rotational latency like a hard drive, but you will be sharing the bandwidth through the controller.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Ahhh...makes sense now, thanks Bob. The new feature of the disc cache is that when you open a project you can still preview from a previous session....

"
Bob wrote:The disk cache supports the persistent cache feature and does not clear automatically when the program is closed.

Thanks!
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to After Effects