They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

project settings when all media derives from pc folders

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

project settings when all media derives from pc folders

Postby wyzboing » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:59 am

Following on from my question about avchd (mts) and mp4 quality. What project settings should I use in PE8 when all my media comes from files and folders and not imported directly from the camera? Also what project settings do you use when all your media is jpg and there is no video?

Regards
wyzboing

Re: project settings when all media derives from pc folders

Postby Paul LS » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:01 pm

Set the project setting to match your video media format independant whether the clips from a PC folder or directly from a camcorder.

For jpgs it is not so important... just set the project setting to match your desired export format. For example DV-AVI for standard definition or HDV/AVCHD for high definition.

Paul.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby wyzboing » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:46 pm

So I 'm being a bit dense. Project settings are something I can't get my head around because I don't understand what all the settings mean. So if I were going to use any of the following in my project.

mts, avi, jpg, mp4

and export to dvd or as avi, which setting would I use in each case, as per the screen cap attached.

I know you can't always mix file types within a project. It is so confusing. Help!
I have tried reading various information on the forums but I still don't get it. I will go away and read Steve's book again and see if it makes sense to me.

Regards

project settings conundrum.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wyzboing

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:03 pm

What model of camcorder does most of your video come from and, if it's a multi-format camcorder, which format did you select?

You want your project settings to match the video you're using as your source as closely as possible.

Which, of course, means that it's generally not a good idea to mix more than one video format in the same project.

In other words, the best strategy is to take each of those video formats into their own projects and use Share to output them as the same project format. Then open a new project with those specs and you can mix and edit them together.

JPGs are a photo format, so they can go into any project.

But MTSs, AVIs and even MP4 need to be converted so that they are a common format before you mix them together.

Did the AVIs from a miniDV camcorder? If so, they go into a project set up for DV. (This is not true for all AVIs, by the way. Only for those from a miniDV camcorder.)

MTSs could be either HDV or AVCHD and could be 1440x1080 or 1920x1080 and could use any of a number of frame rates. So you'll need to get specific information on the camcorder in order to identify them.

Likewise MP4s can mean almost anything, depending on if they were created by a full-size camcorder, a pocket camcorder, a still camera or by software that converted them from another format. So it's hard to give specific advice about them without knowing specifically where they originated.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby wyzboing » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:02 pm

So these are all going to come from my Nex 5 recorded to memory card rather than dv tape. I have a choice of setting it at either AVCHD 1920x1080 or MP4

This is the blurb from the manual:
AVCHD This file format is suitable for viewing smooth video images on a
high-definition TV.
Movies shot with this camera are recorded in AVCHD format,
approximately 60 fields/sec (1080 60i-compatible devices) or 50
fields/sec (1080 50i-compatible devices), in interlace mode, with
Dolby Digital audio, AVCHD format.
MP4 This file format is suitable for WEB uploads, e-mail attachments
or playing back on computers.
Movies shot with this camera are recorded in MPEG-4 format at
approximately 30 frames/sec (1080 60i-compatible devices) or
approximately 25 frames/sec (1080 50i-compatible devices), in
progressive mode, with AAC audio, mp4 format.
This camera uses MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 High Profile for AVCHD format recording.
Movies recorded in AVCHD format with this camera cannot be played by the following
devices.
— Other AVCHD format compatible devices which are not compatible with High Profile
— Devices which are not compatible with the AVCHD format
This camera also uses MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Main Profile for MP4 format recording.
For this reason, movies recorded in MP4 format with this camera cannot be played on
devices other than those that support MPEG-4 AVC/H.264.
The AVCHD format is a high definition digital video camera format used to record a
high definition (HD) signal of either the 1080i specification*1 or the 720p specification*2
using efficient data compression coding technology. The MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format is
adopted to compress video data, and the Dolby Digital or Linear PCM system is used to
compress audio data.
The MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format is capable of compressing images at higher efficiency
than that of the conventional image compressing format. The MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
format enables a high definition video signal shot on a digital video camera recorder to
be recorded on 8 cm DVD discs, hard disk drive, flash memory, memory card, etc.
Recording and playback on your camera
Based on the AVCHD format, your camera records with the high definition image
quality (HD) mentioned below.
Video signal*3: 1080 60i-compatible device
MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 1920 × 1080/60i
1080 50i-compatible device
MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 1920 × 1080/50i
Audio signal: Dolby Digital 2ch
Recording media: Memory card
*1 1080i specification
A high definition specification which utilizes 1,080 effective scanning lines and the interlace system.
*2 720p specification
A high definition specification which utilizes 720 effective scanning lines and the progressive system.
*3 Data recorded in AVCHD format other than the above mentioned cannot be played on your camera.

I checked and my camera is the 50i variety.

I will be using all MP4 or all AVCHD but I am not sure which as PRE8 does not handle the avchd well but I am not sure whether mp4 are suitable as I get the impression this will be lesser quality. The only other things I will be adding will be jpgs.

Am I to understand that that a project containing AVIs previously made from my mini dv recorder would need to be set at the same setting as a project using footage imported satright from the dv recorder itself? And is it ok to combine the two as I have done in the past?
Also does this mean that you could run in to problems with a project using AVIs made from different sources? Again I was under the impression that once a load of odd source files had been converted to AVI they would all work together nicely.

I went back to your book Steve and the options for PRE9 are greater and make a bit more sense than for PRE 8 which I am using.

Regards and thanks for your time.
wyzboing

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:41 pm

I would use the AVCHD setting rather than the MP4 setting. The manual seems to imply that they're essentially the same -- but they're not quite. And an AVCHD in a project set up for PAL AVCHD 1920x1080 50i (25 fps) should work.

If you're trying to mix this footage with your miniDV footage, I'd output this AVCHD from Premiere Elements using Share/Computer/AVI with the DV preset so that all of your footage is standard definition AVI before mixing them in a project.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby wyzboing » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:12 pm

Thanks Steve.

So which of the FOUR AVCHD settings in PRE8 do I use (please see the screen shot in my second post)

Regards
wyzboing

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:48 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I would use the AVCHD setting rather than the MP4 setting. The manual seems to imply that they're essentially the same -- but they're not quite. And an AVCHD in a project set up for PAL AVCHD 1920x1080 50i (25 fps) should work.

The Full HD 1080i 25.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby wyzboing » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:49 pm

Many thanks. hopefully I'm all set up now.

Regards
wyzboing

Return to PRE Version 8