They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Now That People Are Using PE 8, First Impressions

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Now That People Are Using PE 8, First Impressions

Postby Tomsde » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:34 pm

Now that it's been out a few weeks, I was wondering what people feel about PE 8 compared to earlier versions?

What do you really like about PE 8?

What don't you like so much?

I'm still considering buying it, but I'd be interested in hearing about people's experiences; although I mentioned it before in other threads--I'm very interested to know if PE 8 still suffers the audio drop outs on the timeline in and in previews. This is a bit of a big deal for me and I find it to be very annoying in PE 7. If that problem was solved, I'd be sold on upgrading.
Custom System: i7 2.67 ghtz processor, 4 gigabytes ram, n'vdea 9800 series graphics card with 1 gig ram, 1 terabyte HD, 1 500 GB hard drive running 32 Bit Vista Home Premium Edition.
Tomsde
New User
New User

Re: Now That People Are Using PE 8, First Impressions

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:22 pm

Tomsde wrote:Now that it's been out a few weeks, I was wondering what people feel about PE 8 compared to earlier versions?

The following post presents a variety of viewpoints.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=6226
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:30 pm

Tomsde wrote:...I'm very interested to know if PE 8 still suffers the audio drop outs on the timeline in and in previews. This is a bit of a big deal for me and I find it to be very annoying in PE 7. ....

The following post describes my method for handling audio dropouts and other problems with PRE7. Chuck tried a similar method, and it solved the problem that he was having.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=6292
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Tomsde » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:15 pm

From the PE 7 training I was doing, Total Training for Premiere Elements 7, I was given the impression that the audio drop outs was a software bug that does not show up after rendering a movie, but it common when playing back clips. My cameras all shoot some sort of MP2 or MP4 footage to a flash memory card; perhaps people who edit mini DV footage don't have the issue. I looked at the recommended thread; I can try reopening a project file after saving as, when I actually start editing a movie. Right now I've only been experimenting with different clips and import settings.

It seems like different video editing software I have does not like certain file formats. Had I do to it over again I would have purchased a good mini DV camera and not try to shoot with a variety of cameras; but it's rather late in the game for that now unless I sell some of my other cameras off.

At any rate, sometimes it takes at least 1 update patch to get new software bugs worked out--sometimes more. I hesitate to download the demo of the new version because I don't want to have conflicts with the exiting one.
Custom System: i7 2.67 ghtz processor, 4 gigabytes ram, n'vdea 9800 series graphics card with 1 gig ram, 1 terabyte HD, 1 500 GB hard drive running 32 Bit Vista Home Premium Edition.
Tomsde
New User
New User

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:57 pm

Tomsde wrote: Had I do to it over again I would have purchased a good mini DV camera and not try to shoot with a variety of cameras; but it's rather late in the game for that now unless I sell some of my other cameras off....

Luckily, I joined muvipix before I decided on a camera, so I knew before buying that miniDV is the way to go.

The HV40 is currently going for under $800, with free shipping. You will likely be VERY happy with this camera--take a look at the reviews at B&H, which is where many of us buy our equipment.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/597424-REG/Canon_3686B001_VIXIA_HV40_High_Definition.html

:TU:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby cknittle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:56 am

I'm about to attempt a refund from Adobe. PE8 is much less stable than PE4. As one example, while importing from an HV20 it crashed 3 times. I fired up PE4 and it imported without a problem.

I guess I still don't understand the background rendering. I have disabled it. Yet, I can load up some .mpg files, play then from the timeline, edit clips, and export to AVI just like I did in PE4. So, what's the point of all the background rendering? And it takes so darn long!

Does Adobe give refunds?
cknittle

Postby cknittle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:01 pm

cknittle wrote:I'm about to attempt a refund from Adobe. PE8 is much less stable than PE4. As one example, while importing from an HV20 it crashed 3 times. I fired up PE4 and it imported without a problem.

I guess I still don't understand the background rendering. I have disabled it. Yet, I can load up some .mpg files, play then from the timeline, edit clips, and export to AVI just like I did in PE4. So, what's the point of all the background rendering? And it takes so darn long!

Does Adobe give refunds?

Also, fast forward doesn't work as well. And when I load up a bunch of clips from say, a football game, editing a clip and clicking on the timeline causes the application to stutter - that is, it won't play correctly for 30 seconds or so.

I do like the motion detection however, and I like the idea of having a gif or cloud with text following an object or person.
cknittle

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:24 pm

Version 8 is definitely a resource hog. It also takes a lot longer to launch -- and it's a good idea to let it completely launch and fully load before you try to do anything with it. Turning off Background Rendering will certainly free a lot of resources. So will having lots of RAM.

I am very surprised to hear you're having trouble using it with HDV video, particularly if you're using the right project settings and you have background rendering turned off. It a bit less stable -- but with that video format, it certainly shouldn't flounder!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cknittle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:35 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Version 8 is definitely a resource hog. It also takes a lot longer to launch -- and it's a good idea to let it completely launch and fully load before you try to do anything with it. Turning off Background Rendering will certainly free a lot of resources. So will having lots of RAM.

I am very surprised to hear you're having trouble using it with HDV video, particularly if you're using the right project settings and you have background rendering turned off. It a bit less stable -- but with that video format, it certainly shouldn't flounder!

Actually, I haven't even tried HDV with this yet. This is all SD stuff. I can't imagine HDV improving things.
cknittle

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:20 pm

Even after a clean install of Windows XP Pro SP3, the trial program crashes so often that it is unusable on my machine. When I look at the Crash reports, it is always the same error, "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION," Thread 0, on a call to a routine that has something to do with palettes.

The crashes happen at different times under various conditions.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:22 pm

Uh oh. If even Robert can't keep the program running that's a sure sign something is fundamentally wrong with it!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Svein Berger » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:48 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Uh oh. If even Robert can't keep the program running that's a sure sign something is fundamentally wrong with it!

I'm agree. I will NOT use it either. I have installed it, but with no luck. Pre7 is working fine for me.
Svein
-- Canon Legria HF M52, Canon HV20 --
Svein Berger
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bobby » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:37 am

This is very disturbing. It makes you wonder about the Adobe beta testing system. I want my software vendors to demonstrate a long term commitment to both new function AND stability. I think it will be very interesting how Adobe handles this in the "elements" marketing channel. Traditionally Adobe had never patched an "elements" program unless absolutely necessary.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:37 am

Well, I finally made the decision to upgrade from V2 .. to V7. It's sounding more and more like that was the right decision (unfortunately).
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby SteveG » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:55 am

Could the code be a little different for the released version? Maybe that will be stable.
Steve G

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to PRE Version 8