They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Color Correction

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Color Correction

Postby Walter Seaton » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:52 pm

During a visit to the Antarctic I generated many slides shot on Fujichrome film and Super8 footage shot on Ektachrome. I have digitized the slides using my Nikon SuperCoolScan 5000 and had the film digitized by a professional lab. Everything worked very well and all images are very good. I am now building a video documentary of this visit using PRE8. To make the slides compatible and "live" I have processed them in ProShow Producer and exported them as .avi files which I then import to PRE8. However, there is a slight color difference between the digitized slides and the digitized film - one is slightly not blue enough and the other is slightly too blue.

Is there a relatively simple way of balancing the two sets of colors so that the final video will "flow" evenly?
3.70 gigahertz Intel 6-Core i7-8700K; Windows10PRO 64 bit; Board: ROG STRIX Z370-G ; 16MB RAM; Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050Ti ; 2 ViewSonic VP2365 Monitors; 2 internal SSDs 1TB each; 3 HDs: 2x2TB and 1x3TB; Camera Panasonic PV-DV953D; Sound Files .wav.
Walter Seaton
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Color Correction

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:02 pm

I'm not sure putting the slides into ProShow Gold first is the best workflow here. If you're planning to create a video slideshow, you'll be best off just adding the slides (1000x750 pixels in size) directly to Premiere Elements.

Converting them first to video with another program just adds another layer of things-that-can-go-wrong.

Also consider that the pros who digitized your Super 8 might also have done some bad color correcting to your video -- so there's that to consider too.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:33 pm

Considering you have film and still images you will probably need to make some sort of color correction to one or the other, or both as you have said. Between the two cameras that shot the original slides and film being different, they were also both digitized causing additional color issues. Premiere Elements has pretty good color correction, try the Auto Color first on both clips and see if that helps.

Have you thought about editing your video in Premiere Elements and then doing the final video in ProShow Producer?
I think you would be able to do a lot more and it would look great.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:58 pm

Steve,
I think the reason that he used ProShow Producer for the slideshow is that it is quite easy to get a fantastic slideshow with minimal keyframing. ProShow has an ecosystem of vendors making great composities and transitions to use in building a slide show. However, ProShow's video capability is quite limited.

I would suggest to do the slide sequences in Producer and integrate them into Premiere elements. From there you can use the color correction capabilities within Premiere to try and make the two sections match or atleast not conflict. They most likely will never be exact, but it is probably the easiest workflow to obtain a very good result.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:12 am

...there is a slight color difference between the digitized slides and the digitized film - one is slightly not blue enough and the other is slightly too blue...Is there a relatively simple way of balancing the two sets of colors so that the final video will "flow" evenly?

You can try applying the "Color Balance (RGB)" effect to the clips. Select the clip you want to correct and show the properties panel. Select the Color Balance (RGB) effect in the panel and twirl it open to reveal the Red, Green, and Blue sliders. If the sliders are not in the middle (value 100), click on reset. To increase the Blue, move the Blue slider to the right, to decrease the Blue, move it to the left. Since the color might be Cyan rather than blue, try adjusting the Red slider as well. Moving it to the right will increase the Red and reduce the Cyan. Move it to the left to increase the Cyan. A little trial and error and you should be able to get a reasonable match.

If you need to adjust the saturation, use the saturation slider in the Image Control effect which should be the first effect in the properties panel.

Premiere Elements 10 has a 3-way color corrector effect which allows you to correct the midtones, shadows, and highlights separately. But, that is not present in Premiere Elements 8.
Bob

Postby Walter Seaton » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Thank you, Guys.

This has been most helpful
3.70 gigahertz Intel 6-Core i7-8700K; Windows10PRO 64 bit; Board: ROG STRIX Z370-G ; 16MB RAM; Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050Ti ; 2 ViewSonic VP2365 Monitors; 2 internal SSDs 1TB each; 3 HDs: 2x2TB and 1x3TB; Camera Panasonic PV-DV953D; Sound Files .wav.
Walter Seaton
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 8