They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Copying Audio Track

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Copying Audio Track

Postby Walter Seaton » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:06 am

I am assembling a documentary. At one point when the camera is panning over some artifacts, there is some background talk. Removing this part of the audio track would also remove the ambient background and leave a dead silence. I have professional software which would remove the talk but leave the ambient background. Is there any way I can copy the relevant section of the audio track on PRE8 using one of the standard audio formats so that I can work on it in the other software? I could then delete the original audio track and replace it with the track containing only the ambient background.
3.70 gigahertz Intel 6-Core i7-8700K; Windows10PRO 64 bit; Board: ROG STRIX Z370-G ; 16MB RAM; Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050Ti ; 2 ViewSonic VP2365 Monitors; 2 internal SSDs 1TB each; 3 HDs: 2x2TB and 1x3TB; Camera Panasonic PV-DV953D; Sound Files .wav.
Walter Seaton
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Copying Audio Track

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:13 am

You can export the clip in question as audio only then re-import the audio file to use in your project.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:42 am

Share / Computer / Audio
Then make sure you have the work area bar over the section you want to export.
Then make sure you have the box checked that says "Share work area only".
Under the advanced settings you can select MP3 or WAV/PCM and other audio formats.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:17 am

Even easier is a method which I've used many times. Find a snippet of the audio track from another section which has nothing but the background noise/sound in it. Place that snippet on another audio track, overlapping the section you want to replace. Cut out the offending part of the original audio track, or just drop the volume to zero through that section. Because of the random nature of background noise you'll never be able to detect the substitution.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:07 pm

A trick that is used by many on a regular basis, good suggestion Dave :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:56 pm

There is another thing you can do in Premiere Elements 8 that you can try.

When you right-click on a WAV audio clip, you can select "Edit Original" from the pop-up menu. The audio application assoicated with WAV files will open up with the audio file, ready for you to edit. After you edit the file in the audio application, such as Audition, you save and close the file. When you switch back to Premiere Elements, the audio file on the timeline is updated. Sometimes you have to change focus to another application and then back to Premiere Elements before the edited audio shows up and the waveform is updated.

Before doing any of that, however, you need to unlink the video and audio in Premiere Elements 8. Next you convert the audio clip to a WAV 48000 clip by going to the main menu and selecting Clip > Audio Options > Render and Replace. After a moment, the audio clip on the timeline is replaced with the new WAV file, which you can then transfer to Audition or other application using "Edit Original."

If when you select "Edit Original" doesn't open up the desired application, you will have to navigate to a WAV file in Windows Explorer, right-click on it, select "Open With" from the pop-up menu, and navigate to your audio applications executable, and check the option to "Always Open with this Application."

Starting with Premiere Elements 9 or 10, there is no longer a "Render and Replace" option for audio. You will have to manually share to a WAV file and replace the audio clip on the timeline with the new WAV file before you can use "Edit Original."

With some types of video clips, you can select Edit Original and Audition will open up with the video and audio files -- but the video is for reference only. You can't save the edited audio track back to the video file. You will have to save to a separate WAV file, then manually import the WAV file into Premiere Elements and make necessary substitutions.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to PRE Version 8