They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Project settings for jpeg video

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Project settings for jpeg video

Postby hiker48 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:22 pm

I created a video DVD using my jpeg photos, and used the setting I thought was recommended in the book (DV widescreen). This made the people in the photos short and fat, like the photo was stretched sideways. The scenery photos aren't all that noticeable, but people are really bad. I have a widescreen tv, but would a different setting be better to keep the photos in the correct proportions?

I would also like to eventually add a few short video clips to this show. Would the setting above change if I were to add video? Thanks.
hiker48
New User
New User

Re: Project settings for jpeg video

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:05 pm

It depends on what model of camcorder the video came from, hiker.

In fact, I'd base my project settings on the needs of the video. Photos can go into nearly any project.

As for the photos, I've never heard of them distorting because you used them in a widescreen project. They shouldn't. But what size are your photos? Did you size them to our recommended 1000x750 pixels? (Try playing the video on your computer. It may be your TV's or DVD player's set-up that is distorting your video and making your slideshow look fat.)

You might also want to go into Premiere Elements' Preferences (under the Edit menu) and uncheck the option to Scale Stills to Frame Size. Do this BEFORE you import the photos into your project.

But BEFORE YOU EVEN DO THAT, find out your video specs or what model of camcorder your video is coming from! If you're going to add video to your project at some point, you'll want to ensure that that project is set up to accommodate it!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby hiker48 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi Steve,

My video clips were shot with my Panasonic Lumix point and shoot in Motion JPEG.

Yes, I sized the photos to 1000x750. I will check the tv and dvd player settings later. I think I might have unchecked "scale to frame" after I brought it into Premier Elements. I will try it again, unchecking BEFORE I bring it in. Do you think that would allow me to keep the setting on widescreen without distortion?

Thanks.
hiker48
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:02 pm

As I said, you should play the DVD on your computer first -- just to determine if the distortion is on the disc or if it's just your disc player or TV causing the problem.

Working with MJPEG video is VERY challenging, I'm sad to say. Sometimes Premiere Elements can work with it and sometimes it can't -- so give it a test drive before you commit to a large project.

If your computer does allow Premiere Elements to work with it, you can just use the DSLR project setting that most closely matches your video's resolution. But do test drive it first. Output a WMV file to see how it turns out. It's a very iffy video format.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:12 pm

hiker48 wrote:This made the people in the photos short and fat, like the photo was stretched sideways. The scenery photos aren't all that noticeable, but people are really bad. I have a widescreen tv, but would a different setting be better to keep the photos in the correct proportions?

Is this the slide show that you started in the Organizer Slide Show Editor ?
If yes,
please post what Preferences settings you have for the Slide Show Editor. Specifically there are some settings for CROP in those slide show editor preferences which may be a factor in the "stretched". However, it would be best if you post all those settings in case some setting other than crop is also relevant.

(If you open the Organizer Slide Show Editor, on its screen, there will be a menu choice to see the current settings of the Preferences specifically for slide shows.)
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby hiker48 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:09 pm

I will check the preferences when I get home tonight. Thanks.
hiker48
New User
New User

Postby hiker48 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:12 am

Hi Barb,
The preferences that are set in the slideshow editor are:
General - Interface brightness DARK.
Grid Brightness DARK;
Date - SHOW OLDEST FIRST;
Date format - MM/DD/YYYY;
ALLOW PHOTOS TO RESIZE;
SHOW FADE TRANSITIONS.

I cant' find a "crop" setting anywhere. Maybe the culprit is "allow photos to resize"? If I uncheck that now that I have started my project it probably won't help, right?

I am going to forget adding any video to this project since it sounds like my files are hard to make work. I need to get my photo slide show up and running first before I tackle another problem.

Thanks for helping me figure this out.
hiker48
New User
New User

Postby Barb O » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:19 pm

First, I want to make it clear that I think that Steve's suggestions of
--trying to play the DVD on your PC and
-- also the suggestion of turning off "Scale to Framesize" within Premiere Elements
should be attempted first before the following

Second, my response to your info about the Organizer slide show editor preferences
hiker48 wrote:Hi Barb,
The preferences that are set in the slideshow editor are:
General - Interface brightness DARK.
Grid Brightness DARK;
Date - SHOW OLDEST FIRST;
Date format - MM/DD/YYYY;
ALLOW PHOTOS TO RESIZE;
SHOW FADE TRANSITIONS.

I cant' find a "crop" setting anywhere. Maybe the culprit is "allow photos to resize"? If I uncheck that now that I have started my project it probably won't help, right?

I am going to forget adding any video to this project since it sounds like my files are hard to make work. I need to get my photo slide show up and running first before I tackle another problem.

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

If the book that you have is the muvipix combined Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 8, look at page 407 and the screen image of the Slide Show Creator in the upper right of that page. It is "crop to fit slide" with check boxes for Landscape and Portrait that I was asking you to investigate.

However, because of the list of options you posted above, I am now guessing that perhaps you are using a different function than I (and probably Steve) anticipated. Perhaps you were using the Organizer function which displays your photos full screen and from within that function started your slide show ? It would explain why you saw a different set of parameters.

Third, as a future consideration
I have a Panasonic DMC-ZS3 which can take MJPEG video - so MAYBE after the problems with your photos are resolved, I could help you for that video. I have not used this MJPEG video function so I can't specifically say if it would work in Premiere Elements: however there still might be some possibility for comparison.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby hiker48 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:22 am

Barb,

Yes, the book I have is "Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 8". Over the weekend I was able to play with my video, and the first thing I did was check my TV settings like Steve suggested. After changing the TV to "normal" the photos looked okay again. So, I was looking in the wrong place for the problem. I thought I had done something wrong creating my video. I would like to change a few things in my slideshow now that I have seen the whole thing on the "big screen". The book says to right click on the slideshow in the timeline and you can "break it apart" to make changes. When I open my project, drag it to the timeline and right click on it, the "break apart" is grayed out and I can't click on it. Is it to late to modify it after it has been rendered and saved as a video? I couldn't find any more in the book on "breaking apart" except that you can do it.

I would love to put a short video clip of dolphins swimming with the boat on our vacation in my slideshow, so when I get this slideshow done to my satisfaction (and it's getting there), I will probably be asking for your help again. I think my camera is the same model as yours. I really like it. Thanks, again.
hiker48
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:43 am

hiker48 wrote: The book says to right click on the slideshow in the timeline and you can "break it apart" to make changes. When I open my project, drag it to the timeline and right click on it, the "break apart" is grayed out and I can't click on it. Is it to late to modify it after it has been rendered and saved as a video? I couldn't find any more in the book on "breaking apart" except that you can do it.

Sounds like you have a copy of your exported clip maybe, rather than the actual slideshow created with the organizer?
Make sure you are dragging the actual slideshow to the timeline rather than some other clip you may have created ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby hiker48 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:46 pm

Oh, that could be my problem. When I "open project" and click on the file name, it shows the first slide, and then all of the audio files in the window on the right side. I assumed the first slide was the slideshow, so that is what I dragged to the timeline. When I get home from work, I will see if there is another file that looks like it might be the whole project. Thanks!
hiker48
New User
New User

Postby Barb O » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:01 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Sounds like you have a copy of your exported clip maybe, rather than the actual slideshow created with the organizer?
Make sure you are dragging the actual slideshow to the timeline rather than some other clip you may have created

I agree with Chuck's observation.

FYI - Looking in the muvipix book for v8 PSE & PE, the bottom of page 408 (and continuing with more detail on page 409) there is a discussion of the "Edit with Premiere Elements" choice as the Output command for a Slide Show. This is the command that you should use in order to be able to do the Break Apart in Premiere Elements.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:10 pm

Thanks for that additional info Barb :TU:

You must first use the Edit With Premiere Elements option in the Slideshow Creator if you want be able to Break Apart the video in Premiere Elements. If you just created the slideshow and then imported the wmv, or what ever option you chose, then it will not work. Go back to the Slideshow Creator and use the Edit with Premiere Elements option :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby hiker48 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:42 pm

I did output it to Premier Elements and finished it by adding transitions and audio. I burned it to a DVD and actually watched it on the tv. But I still can't get it to break apart. First I did "open project" in Premier Elements and picked the PE title I had given it. It opens all of the photos in the window on the right side. The first file is listed as a WMV (the rest are all jpg), so I drug the WMV file to the sceneline. I can get it to "play", but not break apart. So I opened the timeline, and all of the photos are there, but when I right click on it, the break apart options are grayed out. I don't know if it means anything, but there is a yellow line through the top part of all of the timeline. If I ever get this figured out, I think it will be fun, but right now it is driving me nuts.
hiker48
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:30 am

I created a small slideshow just to be sure we are talking about the same thing. My slideshow came over to Premiere Elements but is not a WMV file. The Premiere Elements project name is the same as I named my slideshow "muvipix test", no WMV or any other extension after it.

Do you see one single clip on the timeline or multiple clips?

Go back to the slideshow in the organizer, you need to open it from the media browser, then save the slideshow with another name. Send that slideshow to Premiere Elements, do not export any other format only use the "Edit Slideshow In Premiere Elements" option. That will open the new slideshow in Premiere Elements, now you should have the Break Apart option available.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE Version 8