They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Improving Black and White

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Improving Black and White

Postby Walter Seaton » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:29 pm

I am presently working with material which was shot on Regular 8 black and white film and professionally digitized in a lab which services most of the major TV stations and film studios in town (not cheap, but good). As expected, the DVDs I got back from the lab are quite grainy. I can improve the appearance of the clips by manipulating contrast, brightness and several other adjustments, but having to do that individually for a large number of clips is very frustrating. Although I have always avoided using the automated corrections available in PRE8 preferring to make my own adjustments, in this case I am willing to give it a try.

Are there any settings available which would automatically generally improve the appearance of these clips?

Many thanks
Walter
3.70 gigahertz Intel 6-Core i7-8700K; Windows10PRO 64 bit; Board: ROG STRIX Z370-G ; 16MB RAM; Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050Ti ; 2 ViewSonic VP2365 Monitors; 2 internal SSDs 1TB each; 3 HDs: 2x2TB and 1x3TB; Camera Panasonic PV-DV953D; Sound Files .wav.
Walter Seaton
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Improving Black and White

Postby sidd finch » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:57 pm

One you have the desired effects placed on a clip you can always do a copy and paste attributes to your remaining clips. If you highlight all the remaining clips you can "paste attributes" all at once.

Also have you tried sharpness. This works best in small increments.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:25 am

Just don't expect too much. 8mm was pretty low quality film, and the cameras were usually fixed focus.

Grainy and blotchy (and probably scratchy) is just going to be the nature of the beast, unfortunately.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:00 pm

In the past, I have used Neat Video for Premiere, http://www.neatvideo.com/, to remove grain and noise. It's not cheap. The pro version is US $99.00. This requires practice and study in order to use it effectively. It's easy to overdo it and lose the detail.

Premiere Elements has an Antialias effect that might help. Afterwards you would probably have to use the Sharpen effect. This seems to work better on HD than SD, where it doesn't seem to work at all.

If you have New Blue Video Essentials 2, there is a Noise Reducer effect you could try. Nowadays, you would have to buy NewBlue Essentials 3 Ultimate for $399 in order to get the Noise reducer plugin. https://www.newbluefx.com/essentials-3-ultimate.

Sometimes the digitized 8mm film will look better when played on TV without grain corrections.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:00 am

RJ Johnston wrote:In the past, I have used Neat Video for Premiere, http://www.neatvideo.com/, to remove grain and noise. It's not cheap. The pro version is US $99.00. This requires practice and study in order to use it effectively. It's easy to overdo it and lose the detail.

I've found that Neat Video works especially well for black and white.
Peru

Return to PRE Version 8