They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

VobSub: Is it Compatible With 64-Bit Win 7?

Discussions about the plethora of Plugins, Titlers and any other third party video editor add-ons.

VobSub: Is it Compatible With 64-Bit Win 7?

Postby jdanniel » Sat May 22, 2010 5:46 am

Hi everyone.

I’m dabbling with AviDemux and VobSub right now. I’m trying to convert a DVD that’s on my hard drive to XVid format, and get subtitles embedded into the AVI file.

I figured out how to get AviDemux to convert the DVD to AVI format, but the problem is VobSub. It’s apparently not being recognized by AviDemux. When I click the Filters button, nothing at all happens.

When I go into the Start menu and open up the listing for VobSub, I click the VobSub Configure menu option, and get a warning box:

“There was a problem starting VobSub.dll. The specified module cannot be located.”

The same thing happens for each listing in the VobSub start menu folder.

I’m wondering if VobSub cannot be recognized due to its age. From what I read, the latest release is from 2002. That’s ancient, in computer years!

I’m running a 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium. Is it possible VobSub isn’t even compatible with 64-bit software? Is there any way for me to get VobSub running on my system?

People on this site have recommended I use SUPER and Virtual Dub, but so far, I haven’t met with any success with anything I try. It is most likely due to my not understanding what to do, but is it possible things aren’t working properly due to my using a 64-bit system?

If I cannot use VobSub with AviDemux, then is there a substitute subtitle filter that might work just as effectively, which is compatible with 64-bit Windows 7?

Thank you! Jd

PS: Formatting my hard drive and returning to a 32-bit version of Windows 7 is not an option I'm willing to entertain at this point in time.
jdanniel

Re: VobSub: Is it Compatible With 64-Bit Win 7?

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat May 22, 2010 7:34 am

AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby jdanniel » Sat May 22, 2010 9:00 am

Does this help?

I'm afraid it doesn't address the question I originally asked, about 64-bit software or VobSub.

This is all about embedding subtitles, which is a concept I clearly do not understand, and am frustrated by it.

I've tried numerous programs, including some that were recommended on this forum. I'm not grasping the concept.

Because of a lack of success with VobSub, I went looking for other tools that might work. I found something called XMedia Recode.

I'm still at a loss. It supposedly deals with subtitles without external or additional programs, but when I load the VOB files, and go into the Subtitle tab, the only options in the STREAM list are NONE and UNKNOWN. I can't figure out why there isn't an option for ENGLISH, or what to do about it.

Even if I merge several VOB files into one, for the purpose of converting to XVid, the issue is still subtitles. I really, really need help with that aspect of this process.

Jd
jdanniel

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat May 22, 2010 9:25 am

I think Brad (DeafBug) has been looking into subtitles for quite some time, maybe he will drop by with some recommendations for you :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat May 22, 2010 9:52 am

Chuck Engels wrote:I think Brad (DeafBug) has been looking into subtitles for quite some time...

That's true. But he was having difficulty too and as he didn't post back about whether he had cracked the problem or not it may remain an issue(?).
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to Plugins & Titlers