They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Blufftitler exported movie not working correctly with Pre El

Discussions about the plethora of Plugins, Titlers and any other third party video editor add-ons.

Blufftitler exported movie not working correctly with Pre El

Postby Peru » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:30 am

I have used Blufftitler successfully with Pre El 3 on previous projects, but have a problem with this project:

1) Created a keyframed spinning coin using two picture layers- a front and a back
2) Exported movie as uncompressed AVI with transparency
3) Imported into Pre El 3 project
4) Noticed red bar, so I rendered

One of two problems occurr:
Either the back of the coin is not visible in portions of the clip, or it is partially visible with horizontal "stripes" of it missing.

It plays fine in Blufftitler.

I imported it into WinDVD Creator and it played fine, so I exported as a DV-AVI.
I then imported it into Pre El and it played OK, but of course I lost the transparency.
I suppose I could put a solid color background in Blufftitler, and then use chromakey in Pre El to get my background transparent again (or use a matte, I think), but I would rather try to find the problem and fix it than use a workaround.

Anybody have any suggestions? :-k
Peru

Re: Blufftitler exported movie not working correctly with Pre El

Postby Cinde » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:23 am

Peru wrote:I have used Blufftitler successfully with Pre El 3 on previous projects, but have a problem with this project:

1) Created a keyframed spinning coin using two picture layers- a front and a back

Either the back of the coin is not visible in portions of the clip, or it is partially visible with horizontal "stripes" of it missing.

I'm having a similar problem with front and back - 2 layer pics made with BT and saved as AVI w/transparency.
Drop it into PRE 7 and the right side (Front) is okay, but the left side (Back) is missing entirely.

I'll be watching this thread with interest.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:47 am

Somewhat of a solution:

Export to "compressed AVI with transparancy" using either the "Cinepak Codec by Radius" or "Microsoft Video 1" codec. You do, however, lose the transparency (even though it says "transparency"). It is a bug in the program, I believe, since they acknowledge a bug that causes transparency loss when using Windows Movie Maker.

I got around the transparency issue by creating a solid blue plasma layer in the background. When I used the clip in Pre El, I applied the blue chroma key effect and it worked very well after adjusting the threshhold. This might be a problem, however, if your project doesn't allow you to choose a color to chroma key without losing some of your project content.

I hope this helps, Cinde.
Peru

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:31 pm

I ran into the same problem with pre 2 and 7. I played around with Blufftitler and finally got it working.

What I did is make both the picture layers "Plane", "3D in Space", and "Flat."

Besides keyframming Rotation, I keyframmed the Position property's "Z" slider (3rd slider). Those were the only two properties I keyframmed.

I adjusted the "Z" position slider to control which picture is closest to you in space. Instead of 300, I start the layer 4 picture at 299 and keep it at 299 until it rotates on edge. Then I change it to 300, and then make the layer 5 picture 299 until it rotates on edge when I switch it back to 300, and make layer 4 picture 299. Whichever has the lower Z value will be the closest to you in space.

Position "Z" slider keyframe values:

Layer 4 Picture: 299-----------299-300-------------300-299------------299
Layer 5 Picture: 300-----------300-299-------------299-300------------300

I rotated both pictures from 0 to 360.

Transparency is maintained and you can see the other side when it rotates into view.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:38 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:I ran into the same problem with pre 2 and 7. I played around with Blufftitler and finally got it working.

Transparency is maintained and you can see the other side when it rotates into view.

If I use "flat", you can't see the edge of the coin when it spins slowly. I could achieve the same effect with Pre El, but used Blufftitler so that the edge would be visible.
Peru

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:17 pm

Yep, Solid works as well for me.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:29 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:I ran into the same problem with pre 2 and 7. I played around with Blufftitler and finally got it working.

Besides keyframming Rotation, I keyframmed the Position property's "Z" slider (3rd slider). Those were the only two properties I keyframmed.

I adjusted the "Z" position slider to control which picture is closest to you in space. Instead of 300, I start the layer 4 picture at 299 and keep it at 299 until it rotates on edge. Then I change it to 300, and then make the layer 5 picture 299 until it rotates on edge when I switch it back to 300, and make layer 4 picture 299. Whichever has the lower Z value will be the closest to you in space.

Position "Z" slider keyframe values:

Layer 4 Picture: 299-----------299-300-------------300-299------------299
Layer 5 Picture: 300-----------300-299-------------299-300------------300

I rotated both pictures from 0 to 360.

I keyframed the transparency of each side of the coin instead of using the position to determine which side was visible. It took me a little while to realize what you meant by the "Z" slider keyframing.
I had keyframed the position to have it zoom in, though.

I don't really want to rekey it, as I have the rotation going from 0 to 5490 degrees in six seconds with 97 keys! #-o
I'll try your method on a simpler project.
Peru

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:21 pm

I tried keyframming the transparancy and couldn't seem to get it to work after exporting to uncompressed avi with transparency. I'll have to give it another try.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:55 am

RJ Johnston wrote:I tried keyframming the transparancy and couldn't seem to get it to work after exporting to uncompressed avi with transparency. I'll have to give it another try.

couldn't seem to get it to work meaning that the keyframing didn't work or that the transparent background was not transparent?
Peru

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:32 am

The transparency of the AVI exported from Bluff Titler wasn't working correctly in Premiere Elements after I had keyframmed the transparency property of one of the picture layers in Bluff Titler. Anyway...

I abandoned the previous methods I came up with in favor of this latest method that uses the new "Container" layer. I attach 2 picture layers to the container layer, and rotate the container layer, after finessing the position and size properties of the picture layers. The picture layers are not keyframed.

1) Add Container Layer
2) Attach Layer > Picture Layer (A)
3) Attach Layer > Picture Layer (B)

For the first picture layer (A) I set these properties:
Plane, 3D in Space, Solid
Position: 0, 0, -12
Size: 1, 1, 2
The the 2 controls the edge thickness of Picture A, and the -12 puts it on the opposite side of the axis of Picture B.

For the second picture layer (B) I set these properties and attributes:
Plane, 3D in Space, Solid
Position: 0, 0, +12
Rotation: 180, 0, 0
Size: 1, 1, 2
I noticed during rotation of the container layer that the picture (B) was facing the wrong way, so I had to flip the picture horizontally. That's where the 180 came from. The size 2 controls the edge thickness of picture B. The +12 puts it on the other side of the axis of Picture A.

For the container layer I set these properties:
Position: 0, 0, 400
Then I keyframed rotation from 0 to 360. This is the only thing that is keyframed.

In Premiere Elements I didn't have any trouble with transparency or with pieces of one picture showing through the other picture.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:12 pm

I'll give that a try when I have a few minutes at the right computer.

I don't know if it will make a difference, but with a coin, I have to use "circle", not "plane", or it will look like a picture of a coin, rather than a coin.
Peru

Return to Plugins & Titlers