They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Transitions - how to select random?

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Transitions - how to select random?

Postby Cinde » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:35 pm

So far all my videos have had the cross fade transition. A new client wants random transitions. I know I can select ONE default for all the transitions. Is there a way to select random transitions when I start working on the video? Or am I going to have to individually select each transition?

PE is not on this computer. There may be an answer in the help files or "In A Snap" neither of which I have access to at work tonight.

I will be working on a new video at home tomorrow. It would be so nice if I logged back on later tonight or tomorrow morning and find an answer waiting from y'all. [-o<
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:49 pm

Hi Cinde,
There is no way to set Random Transitions in Premiere Elements. This is one of the long standing feature requests.

Transitions are mostly annoying in my opinion, a simple cut or a nice Cross Dissolve is really all that is ever used in professional video. Just watch a few hours of television and commercials and you will see, hardly ever anything other than those two transitions.

But, what the customer wants the customer gets, not sure why it matters to have random transitions though. You can do this in the Photoshop Elements Slide Show Creator but not in Premiere Elements. It really doesn't take that long to insert the transitions manually in Premiere Elements though.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:49 am

In fact, Photoshop Elements Slideshow Creator is much more intuitive and has lots of nice features, even beyond the ability to add random transitions -- and version 5 of Photo Elements sends your slideshow to Premiere Elements in an interchange format that maintains the native files, so you can break it apart in Premiere Elements and touch it up even more!

I highly recommend it.

And, as I'm sure you've seen, my latest Steve's Tips article in our Products area tells you everything you could want to know about using both programs to make slideshows.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:55 am

In Premiere Elements 3.0, adding "random" transitions manually is best done in Sceneline mode. In that mode you just right-click on the transition placeholder and up pops the transition menu.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:23 am

Nice tip Robert !
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Cinde » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:31 pm

Thanks guys!!! What would I do without you?

I just finished my first trial slideshow/video with Photoshop. I am totally amazed at the way it handled pan AND zoom. With Elements I have been able to only pan OR zoom, not both. Previously I had been doing pan AND zoom using Roxio which is much more cumbersome to do than with Photoshop. Needless to say I am a very happy camper today!!

As far as transitions, I prefer the cross dissolve. But some of the younger crowd prefer a faster pace and want different transitions.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:44 pm

With Elements I have been able to only pan OR zoom, not both.

One is keyframing Scale (Zoom), the other keyframing Position (Pan), both done in the properties panel. You can keyframe unlimited numbers of things including effects. There are also preset Pan and Zoom effects, check them out sometime. All you have to do is drag and drop them on a clip, instant pan and zoom. There are probably close to a 100 of them.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Prior Versions