They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PE 3.0.2 not saving volume levels

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

PE 3.0.2 not saving volume levels

Postby timg » Sun May 02, 2010 12:30 pm

Hello Group,
I've been directed here after posting on Adobe's support forums.

I'm encountering a persistent audio problem when loading projects in Premiere Elements 3.0.2. Whenever a saved project is reopened, the volume of every video clip in the timeline is set to minimum (-oo dB). I can set the volume back by sliding the yellow line on the audio-wave, or by writing in the clip properties panel, and the project will then play perfectly, with sound. But after saving and reloading the project, the sound is set back to -oo dB. This is absolutely consistent and reproducible.

Things I've tried so far: creating a new project with only one video clip; using video files from another (different) camera; splitting clips into separate audio and video files and importing both into PE; updating Windows sound drivers; using alternative ASIO sound drivers; a clean install of PE. All source clips play perfectly in media player.

I have put some images on my web page, illustrating the problem. It seems I can't insert URLs here, so replace the '_' with '.' in the following: <timgiles_free_fr/tmp/>
Between the two screenshots I have saved the project, and reloaded it. Nothing else.

Any help much appreciated.
thanks,
-Tim
timg
New User
New User

Re: PE 3.0.2 not saving volume levels

Postby Peru » Sun May 02, 2010 3:23 pm

Welcome to Muvipix. :meet:

Is this something that just happened after succesfull use of Pre El 3.0.2?
After reinstalling, did you remember to install the update to 3.0?

I don't know if this will work, but it wouldn't hurt to try:
Create a keyframe for the proper volume level and see if it keeps it.

It's a long shot, but until one of the "experts" here offers some advice it's another thing to attempt.
Peru

Postby Bob » Sun May 02, 2010 5:27 pm

That's really odd Tim. I used Pre 3.02 for several years without ever encountering that problems. And, I don't recall hearing of that specific problem either. You might try two more things. Reinstalling the program does not refresh the preferences file. I'd try deleting the preferences file and let Pre rebuild it. Also, the plugins cache is in the registry. Try rebuilding the plugins cache -- press and hold down the shift key and keep holding it while you start Premiere Elements. After doing both, test using a new project to see if it made any difference. Good luck!
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun May 02, 2010 6:06 pm

Tim did some research on his own and came to this amazing conclusion, which he posted on the Adobe forum:

Tim wrote:"When needs must, a text editor can save the day -- and this is such a case. After hours of testing, searching the web, and head-scratching, I have found the problem by loading the project files into Notepad++ and searching for the volume properties.

This is a French edition of PE, running on a French laptop, configured (as in many European countries) to use a comma instead of a point as a decimals separator. PE uses the local preferences to store decimals in its project files, but also uses commas to store lists of values. When re-loading the project, there is an unresolvable ambiguity and the values cannot be read correctly. Changing the number preferences in the Windows Control Panel to the English-style decimal point avoids the problem.

This bug must have affected users all across Europe, and wasn't fixed by the v3.0.2 patch. So, Adobe, I'm afraid I'm rather unimpressed."
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sun May 02, 2010 8:32 pm

That is amazing. It's difficult to imagine that Adobe didn't get a lot of problem reports on that.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun May 02, 2010 10:14 pm

By the time the version 3 patch came out version 4 wasn't far behind. I think most people just upgraded to version 4 and forgot about it.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Mon May 03, 2010 8:34 pm

The comma delimiter was new to me too. I have seen colon vs semi-colon for PAL vs NTSC regarding things like TimeCode for Sub-titles in Encore, but have never seen this one.

I recommended that the OP post over here, as there are many non-US users, who might have insight, but he found the answer early one.

Thanks to Steve for adding the info.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Prior Versions