They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Going for the Macbook Pro

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Going for the Macbook Pro

Postby babaraccas » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:36 am

With the help of Steve's advice, and constantly banging my head against the wall trying to edit HD video on an old machine (outlined in sig), I've decided to invest some dollars in a new Macbook Pro 15" with a 2.5 Ghz processor, 4GB RAM, and 200 GB 7200 RPM drive. I'm wondering if others are running a similar setup and if they've encountered any problems running PE4 using Bootcamp, VMWare, or Parallels. Also, does this seem like a reasonable rig to be able to edit HDV footage? Any feedback is welcome. As a bonus for viewing my post, please enjoy watching my son rollover for the first time (alright, it was really the second time but I swear it was on the same day and everything).

• Dell Inspiron 9300; 2.00GHz Pentium M; 2GB RAM; NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800 Graphics Adapter; 100 GB Hard Drive (5400 RPM), Windows XP Pro
  • Premiere Elements 4.0
  • Canon HV20
babaraccas
New User
New User

Re: Going for the Macbook Pro

Postby Paul LS » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:58 am

Sorry dont know much about the Macbook Pro... but what a lovely video and a cute boy. :-D
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

It works but.....

Postby VernonRobinson » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:07 am

babaraccas wrote:With the help of Steve's advice, and constantly banging my head against the wall trying to edit HD video on an old machine (outlined in sig), I've decided to invest some dollars in a new Macbook Pro 15" with a 2.5 Ghz processor, 4GB RAM, and 200 GB 7200 RPM drive. I'm wondering if others are running a similar setup and if they've encountered any problems running PE4 using Bootcamp, VMWare, or Parallels. Also, does this seem like a reasonable rig to be able to edit HDV footage? Any feedback is welcome. As a bonus for viewing my post, please enjoy watching my son rollover for the first time (alright, it was really the second time but I swear it was on the same day and everything).

As great a machine as the Mac Book Pro is, I bought one for my daughter, not quite as heavy duty, 2GB ram, slower hard drive, slightly slower processor. I still would not put it up against a desktop when it comes to editing. At almost $3,000 USD, you can buy a lot of desktop. Unless you absolutely must have the portability, I might consider a different route.

I have not used Bootcamp, but Parallels works. Just a tad bit of speed loss. I would think that the bootcamp solution would probably be best. But in all honesty, beyond looking at Parallels initially, she does not use it. She uses Apple compatible applications exclusively. If Premiere is going to be your primary NLE, I think it would run great on a QuadCore, 4 Gig, 15,000 rpm Harddrive, dual 22 inch display for approximately the same money.

Good luck,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:20 am

Oh no! Did I send someone over to Mac!

Seriously, it's all about having the best tool for the job. And, from the look of your video, babaraccas, you've definitely chosen the right tool for you work.

Great looking video!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby babaraccas » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:53 pm

Don't worry Steve, I had already made the choice to go to the Mac side so no one will blame you for my conversion. I've been a lifetime PC user and never thought I'd switch over. I just found myself to be more efficient working on my wife's Mac recently and decided to try something new. Also, I've got an extra copy of XP kicking around so I might as well get the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the feedback Vernon. I agree that it's possible to get more bang for the buck in the desktop market. If I had the time, space, and $$ I'd love to have a dedicated system for video. But this will be my only machine and will have to do everything for me and I do require the portability. Also, my wife is a college student and I am a teacher so with the current back to school deals I can get the system I described with a free 8GB ipod touch for about $2500. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Thanks for the kudos on the video Paul. I'm really enjoying my new hobby :-D
  • Dell Inspiron 9300; 2.00GHz Pentium M; 2GB RAM; NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800 Graphics Adapter; 100 GB Hard Drive (5400 RPM), Windows XP Pro
  • Premiere Elements 4.0
  • Canon HV20
babaraccas
New User
New User

Postby babaraccas » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:49 pm

The order has been placed. There's no going back now. I'll post back to the forum anything I discover about using the Macbook with PE4. Should be smooth...I hope :-D
  • Premiere Elements 4.0
  • Canon HV20
babaraccas
New User
New User

Return to Prior Versions