They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Combine VOB files using Command Prompt

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Combine VOB files using Command Prompt

Postby Paul LS » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:09 am

If you want to use the Command Prompt it is fairly easy.

You need to go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt... the Command Prompt window will open. Now assuming C: is your hard drive and D: is your DVD drive type the following commands...

type: "d:" and hit enter, type just what is between the ".."
type: "cd video_ts" and hit enter
type: "copy /b vts_01_0.vob + vts_01_1.vob + vts_01_2.vob c:\DVD.vob"

vts_01_0.vob + vts_01_1.vob... etc are the vob files in the VIDEO_TS folder on the DVD. Explore the folder and locate the.vob files... replace the name vts_01_0.vob etc with the name of the vob files in your VIDEO_TS folder.

You will find the joined vob file under your C: directory and named "DVD.vob". This file is a single file with all the component vob files joined together. Note it could take some time to combine the vob files, once it is complete it will say "1file copied" in the Command Prompt window.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Combine VOB files using Command Prompt

Postby Bobby » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:50 pm

Does that really work? Obviously it physically concatenates the files, but is the format such that the resultant VOB is useful?

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:04 pm

It appends all of the files together so no frames are skipped, like it skips frames when using the Premiere Elements Media Downloader.
The fields are not reversed, which many times needs to still be done, but it does work very well. They are only data files when it comes right down to it.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:13 pm

Yeah, but files usually have headers, trailers, tags, etc. in them. Either the format is very basic, or it can handle headers in the middle of the file, eh?

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:21 pm

My guess it that for that type of file it just doesn't matter, the decoder must know how to figure it out.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:45 pm

Yes, concatenate works and the resulting VOB is useful. VOB is a variant of mpeg2 and complies with the standard. It's a container architecture with internal components. There is a 1GB size limit on each VOB file and the content for a title set is contiguous. The files are broken up without regard to content. The consequence of this is that while the first VOB has a clearly defined starting point, subsequent VOBs may not necessarily start with a VOBU (contains headers and navigational info) which makes it more difficult to process if you are treating them like separate files. I would assume this is part of the reason Premiere has such a time with multiple VOB files.
Bob

Postby JohnnyO » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:08 pm

I agree that this is the best method for getting VOBs into Premiere Elements. If you use the edis downloader, frames will be skipped.
It is best to concatanate into 1 file and then use the media downloader to bring into Premiere Elements as 1 file.
Thanks Paul for this info.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby UKPal » Sun May 25, 2008 9:31 am

This is such a useful technique and explained here perfectly. Thanks Paul.
UKPal
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Nigehenry » Mon May 26, 2008 8:59 am

I agree with the sentiments above....this is a GREAT tip. It's especially useful for getting footage off DVD camcorders, where bringing the files in separately almost always results in dropped frames and audio sync problems. It works in PE version 3 as well. Thanks sooooooo much Paul.

Nige
Nigehenry
New User
New User

Postby cspitser » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:47 pm

I wish I had known this a year ago. I was bringing in vob files from a DVD recorder where I dubbed VHS tapes to a DVD and had all of the problems you describe, the worst being the audio-video out of sinch.
cspitser
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby JCS » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:34 pm

Thank you very much for this brilliant tip. I have transferred family videos shot over the last 18 years to over 40 DVDs and I was not looking forward to the laborious task of loading them to disk through an editor which could have given me sync and other problems. This quick neat trick reminds we of what we could do with computers when I started out as a systems programmer in 1976 :-)
JCS
New User
New User

Postby Paul LS » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:37 pm

Glad it helped JCS and welcome to the forum. :-D
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:11 pm

Welcome to Muvipix JCS :meet:
Sounds like you have been around computers for quite some time, glad to have you on board :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby DigitalGuido » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:12 pm

You have no idea how much frustration I've been going through with my .vob files and Premiere Elements. I've tried countless apps and codecs and had finally managed a process that didn't result in a audo sync issue. DCDShrink - Video RedoPlus - VirtualDub, etc. Long and painful...but now that I have a new computer and Vista 64, it's created even more headaches. Codecs that were essential to the process no longer work and VirtualDub isn't acting as it should due to missing codecs.

I'm a relative newbie to all this and seeing this thread gave me great hope that I might be able to squash the dreaded audio issues once and for all. I went to try the command prompt as suggested, but was stumped immediately.

The prompt starts off with C:\Users\*myname*>

I enter e: (my dvd drive) and enter and I get the message Incorrect Function.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers and I truly hope this is the end of my .vob frustrations. SO many people have their methods, but most of them have still resulted in audio sync issues for me.

Help is greatly appreciated.
DigitalGuido
New User
New User

Postby Paul LS » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:23 pm

You must have the DVD in the drive when you type the commands...
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Prior Versions