They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Photoshop elements 4 and directx

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Photoshop elements 4 and directx

Postby desmo11225 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:15 am

Hello Every One
I have been away ages now I have a problem, SORRY. Quite a while ago I had Windows 10 down loaded onto my computer without permission, after grumbling I got used to it and was quite satisfied except it continually Automatically Upgraded itself , a couple of months ago the Upgrade took a very long time and wiped out every thing on my computer, I had to have a professional in to fix it, it's OK now.
My problem is I have successfully put my Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 back onto my computer , it seems to work well but I cannot load pictures on to it to work with, when I go to Organiser a box tells me . 1 DirectX could not be initialised . Please be sure it is installed on your system. 2 You can download the latest directx installer from. 3 http://www .microsoft .com/directx
I have checked this out and I have DirectX version 12 installed .
This is new to me and I've done every thing I can think of but I still cannot get photos into my organiser.
I have 5 Great Grand Children with another to come next year , so there are plenty of Photographs all ready with more to come , I want to carry on where I left off some time ago. Thank You All Once again, Please Help desmo11225
desmo11225

Re: Photoshop elements 4 and directx

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:04 am

Welcome back, Desmo.

But I'm just not sure we're going to be able to give you much help. This is, after all, ten year old software.

Have you considered upgrading at all? You can get a used copy of version 11 pretty cheap (under $40 on eBay -- or under $25 for version 10), and it would likely resolve all of these issues.

Assuming, of course, your hardware is up to both the operating system and the program.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:49 am

I completely agree with Steve, time to upgrade :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby desmo11225 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:57 am

Thank You Steve, Thank You Chuck , As usual a prompt reply , I was thinking along those lines but I have found that I have directx both versions 10 and 12 already installed on my computer, could that be an issue, I have also put Adobe PhotoShop CS3 on my computer but I could do with a Guide/ Manual to handle that or is that to much of a jump for me ?????? Thank You Once Again desmo11225
desmo11225

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:55 pm

Older software does not anticipate versions of DirectX beyond a few releases, Photoshop Elements 4 was probably good up to DirectX 9. With the addition of Windows 10 and so many other changes in requirements at some point software just gets too old to run.

You could try compatibility mode for XP, that might do the trick but no promises. The link below will be some help in how to do that if you do not know. As always we will be happy to help if you need it :)

https://www.howtogeek.com/228689/how-to ... indows-10/
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby desmo11225 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:08 am

Hi @Chuck Engles

John here from PC Homehelp helping desmo11225. The solution to this problem, which may also help other forum members, is quite simple.

On Windows 10 you need to activate Legacy Components > DirectPlay in the "Turn Windows Features on and off" snap in.

Control Panel > Uninstall or change a program. then Turn Windows Features on or off from the side menu.

Windows.png

Hope this helps you and your members :-D

John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desmo11225

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:49 am

Hope that does the trick, thanks for the great info John :TU:

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:54 pm

Did this actually correct the problem?

DirectPlay is a software interface between applications and communication services to connect games over the Internet or a network and manage the flow of information between hosts and players. DirectPlay is part of the DirectX API, but it is a separate module. In my experience, applications using DirectPlay ask to install DirectPlay if it is not present -- not DirectX. I suppose Organizer could be using it to talk to PSE, but it does sound odd. FYI, DirectPlay was deprecated since Windows Vista and it uses a communications protocol which is vulnerable to attack. I'd avoid it.

Since it was asking to install DirectX, I was thinking more along the lines of PSE4 is so old that it doesn't know how to recognize versions of DirectX greater than 9.

I have also put Adobe PhotoShop CS3 on my computer

Personally, I think that is a better way to go than trying to resurrect PSE4. There are a lot of similarities, you should be able to pick it up fairly easily. There is a ton more functionality. Don't let that intimidate you. Here's a pdf of the users guide that came with the product.
Bob

Return to Prior Versions