They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Looking at Upgrading Computer

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Looking at Upgrading Computer

Postby Helen » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:22 pm

Hi

I am looking at buying a new computer/system and was wondering if PE4 will run on Windows 7. I will be looking at a middle of the road computer and is there anything I should definitely get in the way of a graphics card or ram etc to make sure my video projects/photoshop CS3 run smoothly.

My current XP computer has been driving me crazy recently, especially during my last project. It kept freezing and all sorts of problems. I only done a complete format and reinstall onto a new hard drive in July because of similar problems so maybe it is time for a new computer. I am feeling lazy and don't feel like reformatting and reloading only to get a few months of trouble free operation. I have had my current system from the time I changed from Windows 95 to XP.

I am quite happy with PE4 and don't really wish to upgrade unless I have to. I haven't had a chance to look at new systems yet, but when I do I will post the specs and get opinions to see if they will be any good for video work.

Thanks in advance
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Looking at Upgrading Computer

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:48 pm

Helen wrote:I am quite happy with PE4 and don't really wish to upgrade unless I have to.

When I tried to install the version of PSE that comes with PRE4 on my Win7 machine, I got a message that the software are not compatible, so I stopped right there, the reason being that I always begin my slide shows in PSE before final-editing in PRE.

Nowadays, I use PRE7 for the final-edit of all my slide shows, as it works flawlessly with the machine in my signature (but versions 8, 9 and 10 do not).

So, if your are contemplating moving up to Win7 64-bit, then the PRE/PSE7 bundle (copies of which are still available) is IMO the way to go.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bubby Grub » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:18 pm

Hi Helen,

I am the kid if you remember from the Gold Coast, when you get a chance to look at a new computer, would you mind posting where you are planning to buy it from.
We have a place on the Goast that has built a few of our computers, over the years, but put it this way am looking for a change, and I must admit the other couple of places
down there don't inspire a lot of confidence. We have a place on Bribie, and a few months ago I took some specs to this guy for a quote, and I am still waiting, I think he was too
busy playing games to be bothered. The other two places here well nobody has anything good to say about them. So consequently I am on the look out for any good places, so if
you come across any I would be very interested. If I remember correctly you are on the Northside of Brisbane, my other half thinks it is Kedron, but I can't remember.
Thanks in advance.
Bubby Grub :meet:
When all else fails, Hug your Teddy.
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Helen » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:14 am

Hi Bubby
Great to hear from you again and your memory is pretty close, it is Wavell Heights near Chermside. There are so many little computer shops around, it is so hard to pick one that is reliable and will be around for a bit longer. At the moment I am not sure where I will be buying from, but a couple of stores my hubby normally checks out are: MSY at Brendale and PC Gogo at Aspley. Eventhough Brendale is on the opposite side of town, it is close to one of the customers he sees and can pop in on the way home.

We haven't really bought anything major recently except media and dvd burners, so we will need to check out the stores again. I will definitely let you know when we decide. It is always a slow process with my hubby, he doesn't like to rush.

George did PRE4 load at all on your computer, as lately I have only been using PS CS3 and I am not sure if I will load PSE6 again. I used to use the catalogue all the time, but I am so far behind in my tagging I don't know if I will bother loading it.
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:14 pm

Helen wrote:George did PRE4 load at all on your computer, as lately I have only been using PS CS3 and I am not sure if I will load PSE6 again. I used to use the catalogue all the time, but I am so far behind in my tagging I don't know if I will bother loading it.

As soon as I saw that the vesion of PSE that is bundled with PRE4 would not install, I abandoned the installation, so I don't know whether PRE4 would install.

:?:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bubby Grub » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi Helen,
Thanks for the info, remember Wavell Heights/Chermside well, seeing both myself and hubbie were raised at the Grange. A lot has changed
of course since we moved to the Coast 30 years ago. Will look forward to your findings.
Thanks again
Bubby Grub :meet:
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:20 am

If you are not in a super hurry, you might consider waiting for Black Friday. What I have been reading on Yahoo News is that with the advance of the tablet segment it should drive down the price of traditional computers. Looks like there could be some great deals to be had on desktop's. I am not sure if they have a version of Black Friday down under....but it might be worth a look.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Helen » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:05 am

Sidd, I don't think we have a black Friday sale, or at least I haven't heard of one. (I wish we did)

These are the specs for the computer that I am thinking of buying, any suggestions for improvement or changes.

INTEL Core i5 2310 Processor 2.90GHz (1155) CPU 6MB
Asus P8P67-LE V3 MB PCIe/D3/S3/U3 Raid Glan FW (1155)
Kingston 4GB (1x4GB) D3 1333 KVR1333D3N9/4G CL9 (RAM) x 2
Seagate 1TB 32M 7200rpm SATA3 Hard Disk Drive x 2
Samsung 22X SATA DVD-/+R/RW Dual Layer (Black OEM)
Asus Radeon 6850 D5 1GB PCIe Video Card w/HDMI/DVI/DP
Xigmatek Midgard Pure Case X Window V2 No PSU (Black)
Cooler Power 700W Power Supply
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:58 am

I would consider swapping the Samsung DVD writer for one that is BluRay capable.

You can still utilise DVDs but also means that you have an HD capability.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby stanatou » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:36 am

I've been running the Premier Elements v4/Photoshop Elements v6 bundle with 64-bit Windows 7 for a while now and have had no problems. Mine is the Windows 7 Enterprise edition so there may be some differences with the Home edition that helps when trying to use older applications.

Stan
stanatou
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:09 pm

stanatou wrote:I've been running the Premier Elements v4/Photoshop Elements v6 bundle with 64-bit Windows 7 for a while now and have had no problems. Mine is the Windows 7 Enterprise edition so there may be some differences with the Home edition that helps when trying to use older applications.

Stan

:OOPS:

STOP THE PRESSES!

After reading your post, I rechecked, and it was PSE4 not PRE4 that I was unable to install on the machine in my signature.

So, Helen, based on stanatou's post, my guess is that you will be able to use PRE4 with Win7 64-bit.

Please excuse the error.

:hid:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Helen » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:05 pm

Sounds promising Stan, and no worries George.

John, I did consider BluRay, but I don't have a hd camera at the moment, so I thought I could maybe upgrade to that at a later stage.
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:39 am

Helen wrote:....John, I did consider BluRay.....upgrade to that at a later stage.

Understand. Also there is a price difference between a standard DVD writer and a BD writer which should reduce over time.

Will you carry out the upgrade yourself? Reason that I ask is if the computer supplier does it for you at some future date then they may make a charge and so it could be as expensive as getting the BD drive from the outset(?).

Just a thought.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bubby Grub » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:12 am

Hi Helen

For what it is worth, I agree with John concerning the Blu Ray player. About 12 months ago now we upgraded two of our computers, and decided
not to invest in a blu-ray. We both had a HD camera, but no blu ray player in the home mainly because at the time, we could not get one multi-zoned
to play US blu-rays etc., now that has changed and we have a blu ray player, sorry now we did not do it to the both computers at the time. Would have
been handy recently.
The one good thing is they are a bit cheaper now, and once we get a chance and are at home for a while will invest in blu-ray, and my Hubbie can
put them in himself, so no extra expense there, probably you would be able to do the same at later date.
Don't mean to hog the thread in anyway, just my thoughts hope they help.
BTW if you don't mind let me know who you decide to get it from, and if its not a rude question, approx. cost as we are in the market for two
computers here on Bribie, and as I said looking around for a good place.
Cheers
Bubby Grub \:D/
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Helen » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:24 am

Thinking again about the BluRay dvd player, and Bubby Grub you do mention some good points. If I don't buy one now, we can install it ourselves at a later stage. I also plan to move the hard drives from my current computer into the new one. This way I will have a few different drives to store photos and other info, and still have a dedicated drive to video projects that I can reformat on a regular basis.

My quotes are coming in around the $1000 mark, a little higher than I planned, but I still need to google the suggested Motherboards and Graphics cards for any major issues. Will keep you posted Bubby Grub
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Prior Versions