They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Limitation on searching

Feedback, problems or suggestions related to our entire website.

Limitation on searching

Postby wenglish98027 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:31 pm

I just tried to search for the thread which talks about Reverse Field Dominance (before starting a new thread if necessary). I know I've seen it somewhere.

My first search, for "dominance" in the PE3 forum yielded no results.

My second search, for "reverse field" in the PE3 forum yielded no results.

My third search (same string, all forums) refused to run because I had to wait a while.

Is it really necessary to have us wait between searches? The way life is, I'll be off on a tangent if I have to wait in between searches, and may never come back to that particular search.

I presume you're trying to outwit some automated processes that might (perhaps) search the forum for email addresses, but perhaps you could set the threshold a little shorter for us impatient types?

Thanks ... Mike

(by now I should be able to do my search again, now what was I looking for? :-D )
wenglish98027

Postby Ron » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:32 am

OK Mike, it was set at 15 seconds, I reduced it to 8.

It is set to delay because of the possibility of what they call "brute force attacks" on a server, meaning that there are malicious people / auto-bots out there that could essentially take advantage of a search query or even posting feature to continuously probe the server rendering the site useless during this attack, possibly killing the server as well. If I find in the future that 8 seconds is not enough to keep out these freaks, then I will have to increase it back to the standard. All forums / blogs (if they're smart) have this set to around 15 seconds or so.

Since the forum is still in its infancy, just search "All Available" for now until we have thousands of posts (we plan on it). This should reduce your "No Topics Found" result.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wenglish98027 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:51 am

Thanks Ron, I appreciate it.
wenglish98027

Return to muvipix.com Suggestions