They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Tutorials

Feedback, problems or suggestions related to our entire website.

Tutorials

Postby chooks » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:00 am

got a suggestion that is kind of question based:

Suggestion: Make a tutorial on using this muvipix website/forum to help newbies.

Question: I want to make my own tutorials on how to use my own forum/website. Do you make them by pointing the video camera at the monitor, or is there a better way? eg software. any hints or links on making tutorials :-D
chooks
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Tutorials

Postby Paul LS » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:00 am

Best way is to use a screen capture software. See this thread for starters:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2724&p=22839&hilit=screen+capture#p22839

I do not do much screen capture but many folks on the forum do and I'm sure they will jump in.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:06 am

Even better is a program from Adobe called Captivate. (That's what Chuck and I use to create our tutorials.) There's a similar program called Camtasia, but I like Captivate very much and it's pretty much the industry standard for this sort of thing.

To use it, you just talk into a microphone on your computer as you demonstrate your software. Captivate records your voice as well as every mouse click and movement. (You can go back later and edit out your mistakes.) When you're done, you output an SWF file.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:32 pm

Captivate is $700 USD, Camtasia Studio is $300, but you can get your feet wet with Camstudio $0.

http://camstudio.org/ Also, see this: http://camstudio.org/blog/general/camst ... 1-released
Bob

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:26 pm

Bob wrote:Captivate is $700 USD, Camtasia Studio is $300, but you can get your feet wet with Camstudio $0.

http://camstudio.org/ Also, see this: http://camstudio.org/blog/general/camst ... 1-released

Bob,
Any idea of the real world differences between Camtasia and Captivate? I have heard of Camtasia for awhile, but the Adobe Captivate is new to me. I was wondering what does a person get for their extra $400?

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:27 am

Any idea of the real world differences between Camtasia and Captivate? I have heard of Camtasia for awhile, but the Adobe Captivate is new to me. I was wondering what does a person get for their extra $400?

I've never used Captivate so I can't comment on that. Perhaps Steve would like to do that seeing as he and Chuck use it. Rather than me blather on, why not take a look at the two web sites. For Captivate, go to http://www.adobe.com/products/captivate/ and click on the "view the feature tour" button for a quick high level overview. For Camtasia, go to http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia/features.asp -- I believe they both offer free trials if you want to get hands on experience.
Bob

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:37 am

Bob,
You are correct about taking the trials. However, I was hoping to gain from the experience of trusted others and possibly forego the amount of time required to evaluate them both. Time is always a premium. I am sure they both more than meet most people's needs and your point is well taken.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:26 am

Vernon,

Understood. I have camstudio (I'm currently using the beta 2.5 version) and it meets my minimal needs (mainly play, now that I'm retired I seldom need to create presentations for others. Although, I suppose it's theoretically possible that I could someday create a tutorial for this site :roll: ). Camstudio is your basic screen recorder with basic annotation capability. Works better than I expected. Used in conjunction with Premiere Elements, you could put together a pretty decent non-interactive presentation. I've looked at Camtasia, and it's a big step up from camstudio. Still basically a screen recorder, it's more flexible and has basic editing capability built-in so you don't need anything else to produce a professional looking presentation. In my opinion, Captivate goes way beyond screen capture and provides sophisticated tools for producing professional e-Learning materials. If I were producing training materials, I wouldn't hesitate to get Captivate.
Bob

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:55 pm

Thanks Bob.
I don't have a need either, but keep thinking it would be a cool tool to have in the toolbox. But like everything else, it is probably better to wait for the need since the state of the art keeps moving on this kind of stuff.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:39 pm

To answer the original post,

I have been in the process of creating a Muvipix tour tutorial, including getting around the forum.
Hopefully they will start going up in the next couple of months, there are a couple done already just waiting for the rest to get finished :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby chooks » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:04 am

Sounds great Chuck :-D Hope you have a few more surprises up your sleeve still to unleash on us :-D

but you can get your feet wet with Camstudio $0.

Thanks Bob,
I have installed this program, and seems to do what I am after (had a fun play). Now comes the hard part, finding the time to use it :razz:
chooks
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ted » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:04 pm

I'm excited to learn about Captivate.

I'm even more excited to see that a favorite "Teacher's Only" website has the full version for $239. (I'm guessing that's a pretty good deal?)

Where might I see some samples of Steve and/or Chuck using Captivate on the muvipix site?

Should I check the tutorials?

Thanks very much!
"Satan trembles when he sees
the weakest saint on his knees."
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Gooder » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:56 am

Ted wrote:Where might I see some samples of Steve and/or Chuck using Captivate on the muvipix site?

Should I check the tutorials?

Hello Ted,

Yes, check the Products - Complimentary pages!
http://muvipix.com/products.php?maincat ... bcat_id=10

Also, please read this link as Chuck mentioned a few things about Camtasia & Captivate software with Elements!
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2724&p=26620&hilit=Captivate#p26620

Also, some good info can be found here:
Best way to get quality screenshots
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2724&p=22826&hilit=Captivate#p22826

Lee :)
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to muvipix.com Suggestions