They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

MOV Backgrounds

Feedback, problems or suggestions related to our entire website.

MOV Backgrounds

Postby Bobby » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:06 pm

What am I missing here. I went to download some backgrounds, and I got a ZIP file that contained a MOV file. But PE4 won't accept MOV as a format to load. ???

Thanks, Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: MOV Backgrounds

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:34 pm

These files work just fine with Premiere Elements Bob, many of us have been using them for months now.
Have you tried it or are you just assuming? If they don't work for you then it may be necessary to update Quicktime on your machine.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:04 am

Chuck Engels wrote:Have you tried it or are you just assuming?

I never assume - of course I tried it!

The symptom was that if I went to Get Media / Files and Folders .mov was NOT in the list of supported files. I left PE4 and just doubleclicked on the Sample.mov in the Quicktime folder and it played fine. I then clicked on the Updater, which proceeded to say it did update Quicktime. Back to PE4, same results as before.

So I then went back into PE4 and rather than use the Supported Files list criterion, I used All Files and of course the .mov files showed in the list then, but attempting to load one resulted in an error that said a component (CODEC?) was missing.

So back to the Apple website, downloaded and installed the latest version, and voila! .mov was now in the supported files list, and did import and work OK.

So the moral of the story here is that the .mov files here do require a more recent version of Quicktime. We should state that somewhere.

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:34 am

I think we did post that when we first started providing the backgrounds in MOV format.
Something to the effect of 'For these files to work in Premiere Elements you will need the most recent version of QuickTime installed on your system'.

This comes up on such a rare occasion that we decided to handle it on a individual basis. Considering that Premiere Elements 4 also requires the most recent version of QuickTime we thought it was kind of redundant.

Anyway, glad you got it all working Bob :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:41 am

Chuck Engels wrote:Considering that Premiere Elements 4 also requires the most recent version of QuickTime we thought it was kind of redundant.

Yes, that is the interesting part. PE4 seemed to install and be working just fine as it was. Guess I just never stumbled across anything Quicktime specific.

Anyhow, thanks for the help. All OK now, and those MOV files certainly are smaller than the old AVIs!

Thanks, Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to muvipix.com Suggestions