They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Subscribing to a forum? And a suggestion

Feedback, problems or suggestions related to our entire website.

Postby wenglish98027 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:32 am

I must be blind :???: How do I subscribe to a whole forum?

And a suggestion - every forum page has the same title - "muvipix.com :: Forum". It would be helpful if the title reflected the forum name or the topic title. Try having 5 tabs open in the browser and you'll see what I mean :)

Thanks for a great forum. I'm hoping I can get it set up so I get email notification of all new topics (hence the request above), but then only get notification of replies to topics I subscribe to. The downside of the Adobe forum is that that doesn't seem to be possible - you continue to get replies in the digest, and there's way too much traffic for me to keep up with.

Thanks ... Mike
Edit: fix spelling in the title
wenglish98027

Re: Subscribing to a forum? And a suggestion

Postby Ron » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:56 am

wenglish98027 wrote:I must be blind :???: How do I subscribe to a whole forum?

You can't specifically subscribe to a forum and receive email notifications per every post (can you imagine what kind of server load that would be when we reach say, 5000 users?). But check out the "Digest Settings" at the top menu - you can receive a Daily Digest of the forum of choice.

wenglish98027 wrote:And a suggestion - every forum page has the same title - "muvipix.com :: Forum". It would be helpful if the title reflected the forum name or the topic title. Try having 5 tabs open in the browser and you'll see what I mean :)

This is by forum design. I don't know if I can change that or not, but I will look into it. It's not a typical web structure per-se. It's one web page dynamically created per click; hard to explain.

wenglish98027 wrote:Thanks for a great forum. I'm hoping I can get it set up so I get email notification of all new topics (hence the request above), but then only get notification of replies to topics I subscribe to. The downside of the Adobe forum is that that doesn't seem to be possible - you continue to get replies in the digest, and there's way too much traffic for me to keep up with.

You can receive emails from topics that you subscribe to (again, for new look at Digest Settings). Make sure you have this set in your profile. You can also set it per posting.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:05 am

Hi Mike,
The Forum name does appear at the top of the page
Something like this

muvipix Forum Index -> muvipix.com Suggestions

And be sure to check out the Digest Settings, you can get notified daily of any new topics.

When you create a new topic or respond, as I am doing now, you have the option to 'Notify me when a reply is posted', this is just under where you type, just below 'Disable Smilies in this post'.

Be sure to check out your Profile also, there are some setting there regarding various forum functions also.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:33 am

wenglish98027 wrote:I must be blind :???: How do I subscribe to a whole forum?

In other topics, I think we've decided the best way to 'subscribe to the whole forum' is to take it as an RSS feed. Unfortunately, it only feeds 10 messages at a time, so it's necessary to download them pretty regularly to get everything .. but then I think we can nudge Ron into allowing more at a time if folks are using this method.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby wenglish98027 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:11 pm

Thanks all.

Ron - I tried the digest settings - it's set for daily/HTML/yes/yes/midnight/150 lines/All subscribed forums (and all the furms under that are selected too). But I'm not getting any digests. I am able to get emails from individual topics that I subscribe to, or reply to.

Chuck - I'm referring to the title bar of the browser, not the top of the page. The contents of the title bar is also displayed on each tab. No big deal, it just would make it easier to navigate from (say) the tab showing the HD discussion to the tab showing the water cooler discussion.

Jayell - unfortunately I don't have time to do RSS feeds (same reason I don't come in and read all the posts). This is why a digest is invaluable - I can read it at my leisure, subscribe to the wheat, and I'll never see the replies to the chaff (so to speak).

BTW there are forums out there which send the text of every new post (aximsite, sbsh.net, pocketinformant.com are some examples). They don't send any replies unless you subscribe to the topic, which makes it easy to meter how much information you get.

Anyway, not a huge deal if phpBB doesn't support it.

Mike
wenglish98027

Postby wenglish98027 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:15 pm

BTW for the title here's the HTML tag:

<title>muvipix.com :: Forum</title>
wenglish98027

Postby Ron » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:26 pm

Can anyone else verify that digests don't work?

I've been receiving a daily digest since November :shock: I just assumed it worked perfectly.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe a spam filter is eating it?
Regards,
-Ron

Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:27 pm

I get mine every night
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:53 pm

wenglish98027 wrote:Anyway, not a huge deal if phpBB doesn't support it.

Mike, I could easily modify the forum to allow what you're suggesting, but I'm trying to stay away from too many modifications for many reasons. One being, too many mods means - easier for things to "break". Also makes upgrading the software so much easier. If you look around, we try to incorporate as much user-friendlyness (word?) as we possibly can. We're not going to please everybody all the time, we know this.

The title bar tag is not so easy. It's generated by script, not just a title tag ( I wish it were that easy! :) )

And yes, some Bulletin Board systems do offer different features, some you need to pay for, others just didn't have other features we needed. I could go on and on, but hopefully ... you know what I mean.

Please let me know if you still have problems with the Digest after checking your spam filters or possibly (testing for us) another email address? I want it to work for all.
Regards,
-Ron

Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Clayton » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:18 pm

I'm reading from my digest right now. :study:

Clayton
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ron » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:37 am

jayell wrote:Unfortunately, it only feeds 10 messages at a time, so it's necessary to download them pretty regularly to get everything .. but then I think we can nudge Ron into allowing more at a time if folks are using this method.

Here ya' go :)

RSS - 25 latest topics

If you want 100, let me know :cya:
Regards,
-Ron

Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jayell » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:19 pm

Thanks, Ron!! I think 25 will be great! :cheers: I know I get 10 from time-to-time, so figure I'm probably missing a couple now and then.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby wenglish98027 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:58 pm

Ron wrote:
wenglish98027 wrote:Anyway, not a huge deal if phpBB doesn't support it.

Mike, I could easily modify the forum to allow what you're suggesting, but I'm trying to stay away from too many modifications for many reasons. One being, too many mods means - easier for things to "break". Also makes upgrading the software so much easier. If you look around, we try to incorporate as much user-friendlyness (word?) as we possibly can. We're not going to please everybody all the time, we know this.

The title bar tag is not so easy. It's generated by script, not just a title tag ( I wish it were that easy! :) )

And yes, some Bulletin Board systems do offer different features, some you need to pay for, others just didn't have other features we needed. I could go on and on, but hopefully ... you know what I mean.

Please let me know if you still have problems with the Digest after checking your spam filters or possibly (testing for us) another email address? I want it to work for all.

I understand not wanting to make too many changes, and it's not a big deal.

Regarding the digest, I am successfully getting emails for replies to topics I'm subscribed to, and I always check y junk mail folder for non-junk, so I don't think it's getting filtered out.

To confirm - there's nothing I need to click on at the top of a given forum page to turn this on? I simply check the checkboxes on the Digest Settings page?

In case a toggle just got stuck in the wrong state, I unchecked then re-checked the box next to "all subscribed forums". We'll see if that does it.

Mike
wenglish98027

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:14 pm

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby wenglish98027 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:17 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Here is how mine is set up
Thanks Chuck. The only difference is that mine is set for midnight and 150 characters per message. I'll try 11pm and 600.

Mike
wenglish98027

Next

Return to muvipix.com Suggestions