They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Burning copy of a PE7 DL DVD

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Burning copy of a PE7 DL DVD

Postby arrep » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:12 pm

I am new to PE7. I burned a DL DVD using PE7 but now want to burn a copy of the DVD. I have two computers, a Toshiba laptop (low powerDuo 2300 and 3GBs ram) with Roxio 2010 pro and Dell XPS desktop (quad 9300 core-4GBs ram) with Roxio 2011 PRO. When I try and copy the DVD I get an error message that my computer no long has free space for the copy when the laptop has 70GBs and the desktop has 400GBs. Roxio advised uninstalling and reinstalling software which I did. Any advice. Thanks, Leo
arrep
New User
New User

Re: Burning copy of a PE7 DL DVD

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:36 pm

Welcome to Muvipix, Arre!

As we say in our books, the smartest way to make multiple copies of a DVD is to select the option to Burn your DVD to a Folder on your hard drive rather than directly to a disc. That way, whenever you need a copy, you can just burn the files to a disc.

For making a copy from an existing disc, use Explorer to browse you disc and copy the VIDEO_TS folder to your hard drive. Put it in a folder that's clearly marked so you can find it whenever you need it.

Then all you need to do is use Roxio or whatever burner software you use (We recommend the free download ImgBurn) to burn a DVD with that VIDEO_TS folder. (Some burner software, like Nero, also requires that you indicate that it's a playable disc and not a data disc.)

If your computer says you don't have enough room, it probably means that your hard drive is fragmented and possibly full of tmp or other junk files.

Run the free software Advanced System Care to clear off the junk.
http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

Then give your drive a good defragmenting.

I don't know what you mean when you say your "laptop has 70GBs and the desktop has 400GBs" -- but I'm going to assume that it means you have several hundred gigs of free space on your C drive. Windows computers do require at least 20-30 gigs of free, defragmented space at all times in order to run properly.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby arrep » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:15 pm

Thanks, will try that. Leo
arrep
New User
New User

Postby arrep » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:38 am

I tried copying the disk to my hard drive and ran into a similar problem in that about a third of the way through the copy procedure stopped. I tried playing the DVD and found that it stopped approximately the same time into the movie. I assumed that I had a defective Memorex disk so burnt another one but used a Verbatim disk this time. This worked better.
I also followed your advice and burned the DVD to a folder. I noticed that it provided the filename and pathway on the replay of the movie from the hard drive. Will this disappear if I burn a disk from this folder. thanks for your help. Leo
arrep
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:09 pm

How much free, defragmented space is on your C drive, Leo?This very much sounds like a lack of space or fragmentation issue.

Have you run Advanced System Care, as I recommended above?

Are you saving these files to your C drive or to a second or external hard drive?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby arrep » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi Steve:

Thank you for all your help. I have produced a new DVD with a verbatim disk and I copied this using my Roxio Creator 10.3 program and have been burning DVD copies. The machine I am using is a Dell Latitude E6500, 8GB RAM and 250GBs of memory with 57GBs of free space after burning the DVD to a folder, copying a DVD to the hard drive and while using Roxio. The Roxio application seems to be working fine at this time. I have burnt a couple of Memorex DVDs and have decided to focus on the Verbatim disks. One of the Memorex disks stopped momentarily in my TV-DVD player but did restart. The second Memorex DVD that I burnt had rings on its surface and it stopped playing early in the movie.

The problem DVD that first prompted me to send a call for help also had a ring "or blank circle" in it.

My PE7 movie file is 30GBs, and has been compressed to a DL DVD disk.

I will carry out the defragmentation process as you recommend but don't think that is the issue as I have System Mechanic Pro 10.5 which monitors my hard drive continuously and carries out the needed maintenance. I recently did use the defrag utility with System Mechanic Pro.

Do you have a comment about the filename and path showing up on the folder copy? Thanks, Leo
arrep
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 7