They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Is this normal?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Re: Is this normal?

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:14 pm

No, not disable and then enable, you need to disable and then restart the computer.
Windows will then install the device like new and automatically enable the "new" device.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:01 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:No, not disable and then enable, you need to disable and then restart the computer.
Windows will then install the device like new and automatically enable the "new" device.

I see. Well, at this point I think peggig has either figured it out or missed the deadline. We tried. :pull:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby peggig » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:48 pm

Thank you all so much for your help! You guys are wonderful!

So, I took your advice, Dave, and removed the card (which turned out to be a bigger deal than I thought because we actually had to remove the video card to get enough room to remove the firewire card). After reinstalling the video card, i turned on the computer, checked Device Manager to ensure that the firewire card wasn't listed, turned off the machine, reinstalled the firewire card (in a different PCI slot for easier access), and booted up the computer again. Tried to upload from the camera, same negative result. I then changed the firewire driver to the Legacy driver, rebooted the computer, same negative result. I checked Device Manager to ensure the Legacy firewire driver was enabled and the device was working properly (according to Device Manager). It was. I even rebooted it with the camera connected. Device Manager acknowledged the presence of the camera, but neither PRE7 nor HDVSplit recognized that it was connected.

I was at a total loss. Then my husband suggested plugging in the speakers. I couldn't imagine what plugging in the speakers could possibly have to do with PRE7 and HDVSplit recognizing the camera, but I plugged in the speakers, rebooted (for luck), and tried again. PRE7 capture worked! In the capture window, the camcorder was still listed generically as "Microsoft DV camcorder" but, after a few moments, a notice popped up on the taskbar that the Canon camcorder driver was being installed. Then PRE7 acknowldeged the device as a Canon Vixia HV40. Now everything is working perfectly.

The moral of the story is, if anybody ever has this problem, and it isn't responding to the usual solutions, they need to make sure their speakers are plugged in! I have no idea why, but that solved the problem. Go figure.

Anyway, thanks again for your patience and your helpfulness! I hope that, by posting this here, somebody else will be able to benefit from my experience.

:OOPS:
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:12 pm

Color me skeptical, but I'm not ready to buy into the "plugging the speakers in made it work" thing. If you unplug the speakers and it stops working then I'd buy it, but i still wouldn't have any idea why. Nonetheless, congrats on getting it going! ::CLAP: ::CLAP: ::CLAP:

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby peggig » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:59 pm

Well, Dave, I also have a hard time imagining what plugging in the speakers could have to do with PRE7 and HDVSplit being able to recognize the camera. And, when I finish this project, I'll probably try unplugging them and see if it has any effect. But right now, everything is working, and I don't want to mess with it. :)

BTW, it turns out I didn't need the firewire connection to upload the files from the AVCHD camera, because it uses a whole different process that requires Canon software on the machine to upload the files. Fortunately, the guy with the underwater footage had his laptop with him, with the software, and he just uploaded the files to his machine and I transferred them to mine with a flash drive.

Of course, I still need the firewire connection to upload my own video, which is more important (though less urgent), so I'm very relieved to have it working.

Now, my plan is to import each AVCHD file into an AVCHD project in PRE7 and export it as an AVI file so I can use it in a standard definition PRE7 project along with the downconverted files from my HDV camera. Is that the best way to combine video from AVCHD and HDV cameras in the same project? It's a pretty tedious process, but I can't think of any alternatives.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:38 pm

As of yet I don't work in HD so I'll let someone else answer your questions. If you don't get the answers you need I'd suggest starting a separate new topic.

Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:17 pm

I think it was the final reboot that fixed the problem, after removing the card and then installing it again.

For your project the best thing would be to export the AVCHD footage as HD MPEG rather than AVI.
That will work very well in your HDV project with the HV40 footage.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:52 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:I think it was the final reboot that fixed the problem, after removing the card and then installing it again.

Yep, I agree.

Dave McElderry

Postby peggig » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:05 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:I think it was the final reboot that fixed the problem, after removing the card and then installing it again.

That would make sense, except that I had already rebooted twice after reinstalling the firewire card. Once immediately after reinstalling it, then again after changing the driver to the Legacy driver. After that reboot, I expected it to work, but it didn't. I was ready to give up at that point, but my husband suggested plugging in the speakers. After I did that, I rebooted a third time, but the only thing that had changed between that and the previous reboot was plugging in the speakers (which shouldn't require a reboot, but I was desperate). Anyway, you may be correct. It may have been the extra reboot that corrected the problem, but at least it's corrected and I'm very grateful for that!

Chuck Engels wrote:For your project the best thing would be to export the AVCHD footage as HD MPEG rather than AVI.
That will work very well in your HDV project with the HV40 footage.

Thanks, Chuck. I've already started the project in standard definition but, now that I've upgraded to Win7-64, I might actually be able to do this in high definition without driving myself crazy. If I do, which MPEG format is the least lossy? Should I use H.264?
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:37 pm

There is a preset for MPEG HDV 1080i 30, that will work just fine.
If you are doing the project in Standard Definition then exporting the AVCHD files as AVI will work just fine.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby peggig » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:02 pm

Thanks, Chuck. I haven't decided yet whether to do it in high def or standard def. I've had so much aggravation with editing in high def on my last two full-length video projects that I swore I'd never attempt it again. But, with the 64-bit system, it might be significantly better. I'll probably try a few clips at a time and see if the high-def is manageable.

Thanks again, everybody, for your help!
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:38 pm

peggig wrote:If I do, which MPEG format is the least lossy? Should I use H.264?

If you don't really need the extra compression of H.264 when burning a Blu-ray disc, Adobe's Classroom in a Book for PRE7 suggests using MPEG2 1920x1080i 30.

Personally, I also share to Personal Computer using that option, however, I also always click on the Advanced button in PRE7 and choose VBR, 2 Pass, Quality 5. This takes longer to save than the default option, but the playback quality on my 52-inch HDTV is breathtaking.

I do use the H.264 option for IPods if I have a client who has one and wants that capability. (The video on iPods is small, but the audio with earphones is amazing.)
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby peggig » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:39 am

Thanks, George! Is that the setting you'd recommend for transcoding AVCHD files to make them compatible with an HDV project? The AVCHD files are natively 1920x1080i, but the HDV files are natively 1440x1080i, so I was thinking it might be better to transcode them using 1440x1080i. What do you think?

I have another question. If I do end up starting this project over in high def, I have a few clips I want to use that were taken a few years ago that wer shot at standard definition. If I want to use them in an HDV project, what's the best way to do that? Can I import standard definition video clips directly into an HDV project, or should I create a standard definition project for them, and export them in high definition to import into the HDV project? (And, if so, should I use the same settings that I use for transcoding the AVCHD files?)
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Previous

Return to PRE Version 7