They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

P7 DVD Custom Edited Menus Losing Menu Marker Text

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

P7 DVD Custom Edited Menus Losing Menu Marker Text

Postby kestrel » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:51 pm

I am editing existing P7 Menus using PS 7. When using the EDITED MENUS in Premiere, the menus will NOT pick up menu marker text descriptions. Text always shows as a default generic description.

I have used Encore to create complex menus, but alas Encore will not make HD menus. So I was forced to use PS7 alone. When loading the menu into PS, I do get layer errors, which PS then automatically fixes. This was the same process when previously using Encore for my 4:3 projects …. As the menu was loaded, errors occurred, PS fixed the layers; then I went about the task of making my custom modifications.

I refused to let this defeat me, and have invested hours of interesting time. However, I now ask if anyone knows how to use PS to add the link to point at the menu marker entered text?

Thanks … HenryZ
kestrel
New User
New User

Re: P7 DVD Custom Edited Menus Losing Menu Marker Text

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Welcome to Muvipix, kestrel!

What you're describing is very rare. In fact, it's so rare that, in 7 years of working these forums, I've never heard of it. So it could be related to your operating system or maybe a lack of hard drive space or memory. Or it could just be some buggy behavior that nobody stumbled over before. (Have you tried applying another menu template to see if it's unique to that particular template?)

What happens if you double-click on the scene markers in the Disc Layout panel? Are you manually able to change the text? Does the correct text show when you open the text editor this way?

Is there anything unusual about this particular project you can tell us? For instance, was it created in an earlier version of the program and opened in a newer? Are you using Windows 7 64-bit? That kind of thing.

Finally, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the menu previews with the generic description for the scenes. Do you mean it just says "Scene 1", "Scene 2", etc?

But before you do anything else, switch to a different template then restart your computer. If the problem persists, you'll need to do some more serious troubleshooting. Unfortunately, with these rare problems, there's not magic bullet fix.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kestrel » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:00 pm

I feel honored with a reply directly from the top. I have been following your forums since before purchasing PE7.. ?? over 4 years ??

This explanation does not have the screen captures, so it may be confusing. If you can tell me how to insert the pictures, it will be much clearer.....

I have previously invested a lot of hours covering the things you ask. Many different templates, certainly rebooting the PC and PE7 many many times. Running XP with i7; lots of memory and resources available. I am convinced that it is Photoshop that is not reading the layers correctly, and then corrupting the menu, but do not know how to repair it to see the menu marker descriptors.

SETUP: Typically using MTS files, but this example is all AVI. Just noticed this
Particular project is set to HD 1080i 30. ( Yes, I know we should ALWAYS set to match the video.)

EXAMPLE: Here is the test setup using all 4:3 AVI files.
3 MAIN markers
5 Scene markers

Test 1
Appearing Correctly with the Broadway Menu
Text “My Main Marker 1” is correct as entered

Scene Menu Correct with all text displayed as entered.

APPLY THE EDITED MENU BROADWAY
Desired Text replaced with generic text “Scene 1” …. “Scene 5”
Looking at the Menu Markers shows the text as entered… but it is not appearing here.

TEST 2 — Always repeatable
Apply an EDITED template… marker descriptors not correct
Apply a virgin template… markers correct
Reapply Edited template… markers not correct
NOTE: before editing a menu, a copy is made to a new folder used to hold all modified menus.

What PhotoShop is Doing….
This condition exists without me modifying the PS file. To have the problem it is only necessary to load the menu and save it as shown below. I am convinced that PS is removing data from the layers. So…

Open a menu in PS

Press OK

Press OK

Press UPDATE

I can now modify the menu like in the old days with Encore, but get the stated problem, AND always have to edit out all the foreign text layers.

Recall that 2 years back Encore 1.5 also opened menus with errors but I was ALWAYS able to edit how I desired and never had a DVD control structure.

I sure would like to fix this, however have accepted that I may have to use the meager menus provided with PE7.
kestrel
New User
New User

Postby kestrel » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:05 pm

I discovered how to upload the file with the screen captures...... See attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kestrel
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:11 pm

Sorry if I'm not understanding everthing you've posted. It's pretty complicated.

But what do you mean by "edited" template? Do you mean you've modified the template in some way in Photoshop?

If so, that's pretty significant. And it could be at the heart of your problem. There are a number or rules that have to be followed when customizing templates and, if you don't they won't work right. Though without doing a post-mortem on the PSD files you customized, I can't say exactly what.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:38 am

Quick reply - you can create HD menus in Encore but only from CS3 and later. Also only for a BluRay project. Does this discussion on Creative Cow help?

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/145/864853
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby kestrel » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:53 am

AH! I should already know after many years to be specific on this site.
Thanks for the creative cow reference.

You are correct, I am not doing HD, simply placing my HD video (1440 MTS files)
into a WS menu and burning to 4.7 DVDs.

The Past...

Editing in PS6.5 and using Encore 1.5 to create interesting menus was the workflow.
All the menu editing was done in PS; new backgrounds,
buttons, navigation layers. Encore and PS
allowed a lot of flexibility. However, Encore ONLY accepts 720 video; so
it went on the shelf in favor of PE7.

Today's Issue....

The task of editing PE7 menus was focused on defeating PE7 and its meager menuing
to create new talents for myself.
This task is motivated by a person still without a job (must not spend $$) and thus a
lot of time, and some interest in technology. So, no new SW tools, no BlueRay Burner.

I am convinced that the issue is not with PE7, but rather with the way PhotoShop can not
open the menu.psd files. I get the errors when opening, photoshop automatically fixes
the layers, but obviously PE7 has things in the layers that photoshop is not happy with.

I am willing to let the issue go, use the standard menus that all the other people
are using, have my DVDs look ordinary.... admit technological defeat.

Thank you all for the answers.
kestrel
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 7