They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Customizing DVD Menu

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Customizing DVD Menu

Postby Jay » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:40 pm

Steve
I have reread your tutorial on customizing a DVD menu and I’m having a problem with one of the PE7 memories DVD templates. Load both the templates into photoshop (cs5) and I just changed a few of the pictures in the _mm (main menu) leaving the _sm section alone. I save them both with same name and save them into a new renamed folder. The _sm load fine into PE7 I see the scenes menu but no _ mm (main menu) shows up. What have I missed?
.. Any help appreciated
Jay
PS..Its been awhile.. How in the heck do change your change your password in the Forum area..I keep having same trouble getting in to post things.
Jay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Customizing DVD Menu

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:55 pm

You should be able to change your password in the User Control Panel, along the top of the forum, Jay.

Meantime, it's hard to say what's going on with your menu templates without knowing more. Have you checked the obvious: Ensured that the names of the sm and mm file are identical?

On the other hand, if this were the case, the template wouldn't load at all.

What do you mean by "no _ mm (main menu) shows up"? Do you mean that the template shows up among the templates and that, when you load it into your project, the main menu page is blank?

Can you post a screen capture of your template loaded in the Disc Layout panel? Without knowing what symptoms you're describing, it's hard to say what the problem is.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jay » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks Steve
Its been along time since we talked..
I can't send a screen shot..but the scene menu show up under the memories area but the Main menu does not. All other the templates work ok
I only changed 3 pictures in the Layer palette in PS for the preset templae and save it by the same name as the original template. Then made a new folder and
place the 2 Main and scene menus into it. Question? Do all of setting in the dvd template have to remain set. And what are the main setting
in the template that are not to be changed?
Jay
Jay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:44 pm

The only reason for it to not show up at all is the name, make sure the name is correct including the extension.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:56 pm

I'm still not sure what you're saying when you say that the main menu does not show up. Where does it not show up?

When you view the template, do you see the scene menu but not the main menu? If so, the problem isn't with the file name. It's the way you have the file set up. But I can't say for sure unless I see what you're talking about.

Can you try to save a screen capture? To do this, press the Print Screen button on your keyboard and then past this (Ctrl+v) into a Photoshop Elements document and save it as a JPEG. You'll be able to post this JPEG to your reply on this forum.

If you get really stuck, write to me at steve at muvipix.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jay » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:44 pm

Steve
Thanks for helping with the menu problem. I had bad file/layer and I redid the whole thing. And now it works
New Subject: In Window 7 it has a DVD maker that has a lot of excellent Menu Styles.
Can the styles be incorporated into PE7 DVD folder or is the format wrong?
Jay
Jay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:23 pm

Are the menus in PSD format?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:01 pm

You can't use them with PrE 7, Jay. They aren't in a template format that PrE understands. Some of the basic elements like buttons and backgrounds could conceivably be used with an authoring program like DVD Architect Studio, but DVD Maker generates the effects and such dynamically in the program and that isn't transferable to another dvd authoring program.
Bob

Postby Jay » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Thanks Bob and Steve for the info
new subject: What is the max upload to this site for viewing?
I have a slide show that I would like to share with a few people.Its about 600Mb.
Do Both of you guys :-5 :-5 recommend DVD Architect Studio when creating a DVD menu. I know nothing about that program. And will have some of the effects that
DVD maker for window 7 has?
Jay
Jay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:36 pm

In my opinion, DVD Architect Studio could run circles around Windows' DVD maker.

But check it out yourself. Just go to our product's page and type "DVD Architect" in the search box. The Basic Training tutorials will show you how easy it is to use.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:37 pm

DVD Architect Studio is an excellent DVD/Blu-Ray authoring program and does does run circles around the types of menus that DVD Maker and Premiere Elements can produce. You can literally control virtually every aspect of how the menus will look and behave. DVD Maker is very limited in the types of menus it can create and you have very little that you can control directly.

You have to understand that the effects that DVD Maker gives you when you select a Menu Style are video clips that DVD maker generates from an internal template and your source material. DVD Architect Studio is not going to provide those effects. However, you can create your own video clips in Premiere Elements and use those clips in DVD Architect Studio to create motion backgrounds every bit as interesting. It's a bit more hands-on and you need to understand how to use Premiere Elements, but you have full control of any effects you want to include that way.
Bob

Postby Jay » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:25 pm

Bob,Steve
Thanks, Steve, I will take a look at the tutorial on DVD Architect. I want to thank you for all you have done for Muvipix to make it better. I was one of the
old guys that first signed up when it first started and I have not been disappointed with all the help you and Chuck have given me over the years.
And, Bob, your knowledge for all the subject matter that people request just is just outstanding. If I might use a quote from the Butch and Sundance kid..
"Who are you guys" that know all this stuff.
Jay
Jay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:36 am

Jay wrote:new subject: What is the max upload to this site for viewing? I have a slide show that I would like to share with a few people.Its about 600Mb. Jay

I think that the limit is 200Mb? But Ron will know for sure.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Ron » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:08 am

Jay wrote:new subject: What is the max upload to this site for viewing?
I have a slide show that I would like to share with a few people.Its about 600Mb.
Do Both of you guys :-5 :-5 recommend DVD Architect Studio when creating a DVD menu. I know nothing about that program. And will have some of the effects that
DVD maker for window 7 has?
Jay

Did you mean 60MB? 600MB is a bit large for the internet, although this paradigm is changing rapidly I guess. Our current max upload is 60MB (we're not quite ready yet for [hi-def] prime time).

What format is your video? If it's hi-def, you may want to upload it to Facebook, Youtube or Vimeo, then simply embed it in a post. If it's not hi-def, then you may just need to convert/compress it for basic web delivery.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:34 am

Jay wrote:Bob,Steve
Thanks, Steve, I will take a look at the tutorial on DVD Architect.

You can download a free trial version of DVD AS5 , however, I would strongly suggest that you also order Steve's book here on muvipix, and here is why: Although Sony has made a very admirable attempt, with its Show Me How menus, to get one up to speed quickly, Steve's book is ever so much better at clarifying how to do so.

Specifically, by the end of Chapter 2 (page 28) you will have already learned how to complete a DVD project with the software. The remainder of the book is about all the many other fabulous features.

:fg:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to PRE Version 7