They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Audio in Premiere Elements 7

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Audio in Premiere Elements 7

Postby Johnny » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:18 am

I'm using Premiere Elements 7 and use Windows Vista. I'm trying to have the audio from the soundtrack play and still be able to hear the audio recorded in the video portion of the recording. Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you,
Johnny
Processor: i7-4790 Processor @3.6 GHz
24GB RAM
2TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
2GB AMD Radeon HD R9 270 Graphics
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit
Software: Photoshop Elements 13, Premiere Elements 13
Johnny
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Audio in Premiere Elements 7

Postby Bobby » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:45 am

Johnny, all audio and video tracks that are on the same place on the timeline play simultaneously, subject to the volume of the audio or the opacity of the video.

That sounds complicated, but in essence it should work OK. If you have, for example, the video in track 1, and put a background music clip on one of the audio tracks, you should hear both.

Please describe what you have on your various tracks when this happens.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:50 am

I think you just need to adjust the volume levels of the tracks.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Johnny » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:11 pm

I've raised the volume on the soundtrack (where I set up the song to play during part of the clip), but there is nothing for me to adjust in the audio of the video clip; it just gets silenced once the song track begins on the soundtrack. Video 1 had audio right until the song began; lowering the audio level on the soundtrack lowers the volume of the song, but I still can't hear anything from what is being said in the video.

Johnny
24GB RAM
Johnny
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:05 pm

Johnny, are you working in Timeline or Sceneline mode. If you're in Sceneline, go to Timeline mode.

If you go to the Window menu and open the Audio Mixer, you'll be able to monitor the audio levels of all of your audio tracks. You'll want them all peaking at "zero" with nothing peaking in the red.

You may need to raise or lower the volume of the clips on your individual tracks to get the balance you're looking for.

You can also use audio keyframing (as described step-by-step in our books and tutorials) to control volume levels at precise points.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:10 pm

Johnny,

1 -- Have you tried the PE 7 Audio Mixer ?
I think this is the simple method that I used to adjust the volume of a soundtrack and the audio of a video when I had a mixture of video and photos used in my project.

If you have Steve Grisetti's "Muvipix Guide to Adobe Premiere Elements 7", there is a topic in Chapter 11 (page 108) on "Mix Audio" which includes a screen shot of the Audio Mixer showing both the Audio of Track 1 and the soundtrack (as well as other audio tracks). If you don't have the book then I suggest that you look for "Audio Mixer" in the PE 7 Help

2 - I do think that you can adjust the audio on the Track containing your video with audio and that you have even better control than if you use the Audio Mixer.
Others on the forum with more experience in Premiere Elements can provide more details than I.
If you have the book, there is a topic on "Adjusting Audio Levels on the Timeline" on page 103.

EDIT - Hi Steve,
you typed faster than I did but since our posts do not conflict, I think I will leave mine as is.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:28 pm

I'd like to add a third possibility to the mix. If you're working in timeline mode, can you confirm visually that both of the audio tracks in question are above/below each other in the timeline? I'm wondering if in the process of adding the soundtrack you've accidently split the other audio track, pushing it to the end. This could happen if the audio and video were unlinked. This would cause the symptoms you're describing - at the point where the soundtrack begins the other audio would disappear.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Johnny » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:22 pm

Thank you for your responses, Steve, Barb, and Dave.
I had the audio levels peaking at zero in the audio mixer, so that wasn't the issue. I think it might be what Dave mentioned because there is no bar all of a sudden for Audio 1 (corresponding with the scene from Video 1) once the audio from the soundtrack starts. That's why there's nothing for me to adjust in Audio 1. Is there a way for me to get back to having audio in the entire clip (before I added a song to the soundtrack)?
Thanks.
24GB RAM
Johnny
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Johnny » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:23 pm

I had meant to add that I'm using Steve's Guide to Photoshop Elements & Premiere Elements 7 and that I referred to the section on "Adjusting Audio Levels on the Timeline."
24GB RAM
Johnny
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:33 pm

Johnny wrote:Thank you for your responses, Steve, Barb, and Dave.
I had the audio levels peaking at zero in the audio mixer, so that wasn't the issue. I think it might be what Dave mentioned because there is no bar all of a sudden for Audio 1 (corresponding with the scene from Video 1) once the audio from the soundtrack starts. That's why there's nothing for me to adjust in Audio 1. Is there a way for me to get back to having audio in the entire clip (before I added a song to the soundtrack)?
Thanks.

If you accidently split the audio then it just got moved. Look further down the timeline to see if it's there. If so you can drag it back to where it belongs. If you accidently deleted the audio then it's only gone in the timeline...the original clip still has it. You can delete the clip from the timeline and reinsert it from the Media panel.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Johnny » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:29 pm

I must have accidentally deleted a portion of the original clip. I don't see it anywhere even a ways done on the timeline, but I'm just going to bring it in the original clip from the organizer, cut the soundtrack piece, and try it again.
From Steve's Guide to Photoshop Elements & Premiere Elements 7 it points out that approximately 70 minutes of video would be safe for a high quality DVD. It looks like I have just over 100 minutes. What do you think is the likelihood of getting that much to make it to DVD? I have a feeling that I have some more cutting to do.
Thank you.
24GB RAM
Johnny
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:47 pm

There's no problem getting 100 minutes on a DVD, but the quality will be reduced somewhat as the number of minutes increases above about 70. Whether the lower quality is acceptable or not is a matter of personal preference. You'll just need to try it to get an idea of what a 100 minute burn looks like, quality-wise. All you're out is the time and the cost of a DVD. If it's not acceptable then you may need to do some editing.

Dave McElderry

Postby Johnny » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:17 pm

Near the very, very end of the burning process it ejected the DVD and the message stated that there was an unknown error. I then tried with another DVD and a little bit later Premiere Elements closed. I'd hate to have to spend a lot of time cutting and changing things around if I don't need to shorten the length of the video. Any idea how I can get around this?
24GB RAM
Johnny
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:28 pm

Often this kind of problem is caused by a blank space (no video or audio) somewhere in the timeline. It can be as little as one frame that can be the issue. Sometimes in the process of editing and moving things around you can accidently leave a few frames (or less) hanging out beyond the end of the video, all by themselves. This can also cause what you encountered. Zooming in on the timeline and examining it carefully is one way to find these. Another is to zoom out so that the whole video is visible and then double-click on the Work Area Bar. If the WAB then extends out beyond the end of your video it means that there are orphaned frames out there somewhere.

Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:28 pm

Also,
1. Make sure you have the most current firmware for your DVD burner.
2. You are using good blank DVD media like Verbatim or other quality discs.

Those along with what Dave said above are the most common causes of DVD burning issues.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE Version 7