They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PE7: error compiling movie

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Postby RBM » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:23 pm

I have a short (six minute) project shot in HD on my Canon HV40. I have a new computer with a Blu-Ray burner, and I wanted to make a Blu-Ray quality DVD of this small project using regular 4.7G media. It is my understanding that this is possible if your project is under twenty minutes. It is also my understanding that it’s not possible to produce such DVD directly from PE7. However, I read in a recent Forum that the latest version of Adobe DVD Architect can do the job. It’s just a matter of getting the project from PE7 in its 1440X1080 MPEG form to Adobe DVD Architect: just generate a file from PE7 via “export as movie” while retaining the original 1440 X 1080 settings. The resulting file should import easily into Adobe DVD Architect and a Blu-Ray quality DVD can be burned from that output.

The first step is getting the project out of PE7. I’ve tried PE7’s “export as movie” function twice. Both times I’ve gotten the following message: Error compiling movie; Disc full. A) In my experience so far, when there’s any glitch in burning or transcoding something in PE7, the whole project simply fails. This time, however, both tries partially succeeded. The first try resulted in a perfectly working file of 789 MB and the second produced a file of 724 MB. Both got about half the original project. I played both on my 52 inch HDTV that’s hooked up to my previous computer. B) The F drive of my computer, where I saved both outputs, has 587 G of free space. All my drives have been defragmented. In anticipation of getting the latest version Premiere Pro, I’ve got 12 G of RAM on my new 64 bit system although, I believe, only 4 G would be relevant to this 32 bit project.

For the six weeks that I’ve had it, my new computer has been able to handle all my PE7 projects easily. Video editing is now fun rather than frustration. I’ve gotten in the practice of keeping my projects short (not more than 15 minutes). I’ve been transcoding them into 1280 X 720 Quicktime .mov files at 100% quality and posting them on Vimeo where they look quite good. As a matter of fact, while I’ve been composing this email, I transcoded my six minute project to a Quicktime file which I’ll upload to Vimeo.

Meanwhile, I'm stumped concerning the "Disc Full" message.

RBM

Intel (R)) Core â„¢ i7 CPU 930 @2.8 GHz; 12.0 GB RAM;, Win 7, professional, 64-bit; ATI FirePro V4800 1GB GDDR5 Workstation Video Card; LG Blu-ray Burner 10X w/Lightscribe suport
RBM
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: PE7: error compiling movie

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:33 pm

Hmmm. I am a little confused here. Adobe don't have a product called DVD Architect. That is a Sony product. And trying to write BluRay files to a standard 4.7GB DVD will not work.

It is possible to write HD media to a conventional 4.7GB DVD and play it. PaulLS is one of the experts on this and hopefully he'll chime in soon.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby RBM » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:08 pm

John,

You're not the one who's confused. I am. I meant Sony. In a recent post, I thought--quite possibly mistakenly--that smallish projects of HDV files could be processed through he latest version of DVD Architect, and those files could be burned to a 4.7 G blank DVD. In my post I used the locution "in my understanding" several times to give those much more knowledgeable than myself junctures at which to focus on problems in my understanding of the matter. All that notwithstanding, there is practical problem of PE7 reporting "Error; Disc full" for such a tiny project. Why has that happened?

RBM
RBM
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:06 pm

First, be sure to check that your F drive is formatted NTFS -- not FAT32, as they come from the factory. FAT32 drives have a file size limitation, and that could be causing your out-of-space error code.

Second, rather than using Export/Movie in Premiere Elements, output your project using Share/Personal Computer/MPEG and selecting the 1440x1080 MPEG2 option.

This will produce a file that should load right into DVD Architect so that you can produce your BluRay or DVD.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RBM » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:07 pm

Steve,

I exported the project as you suggested: Personal Computer/ MPEG 1440, etc. It took just a few minutes to finish. Then I went to DVD Architect, opened a new project, and successfully loaded the project into DVD Architect. The whole thing was there in a blink. Tomorrow--after I've overindulged myself on the NFL-- I'll go to your start-up lessons on DVDA, make an elementary menu, and see if it burns as a Blu-Ray disc to a 4.7 G blank. If I have any further trouble, I'll yell. Meanwhile, thanks very much for getting me this far.

I'm still a bit confused as to why "export as movie" didn't work. All my drives are formatted NTFS. Before I got my new computer, I routinely followed your advice in assembling standard DV projects by breaking them into 10-15 minute segments and then using "export as movie" to get the components of a 60 minute standard DVD. It always worked on my previous computer, which was much less powerful than the one I now have. This present short project, by the way, is the first HDV footage I've ever tried to "export as movie." Before the new computer, I didn't even bother editing HDV.

RBM
RBM
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:11 am

Glad to hear you're up and running, RBM.

As to why Export to Movie didn't work -- well, Adobe has transitioned its export functions over to the Share menus, where there are more, easily-set options. In later versions of the program, Export has been disabled completely.

I can't say precisely why it didn't work -- but the important thing is that you've found a method that does!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 7