They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

old files not accessible

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

old files not accessible

Postby Cope This 719 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:40 am

I have just had a Blu-ray Burner installed by the local computer shop. When I booted it up it came up with a message that "WINDOWS HAS BLOCKED SOME STARTUP PROGRAMS" I started up PE7 and instead of having my thumb nails I had the generic icon. It asked me to find a particular file however when I found the correct file it has a message "THIS TYPE OF FILE IS NOT SUPPORTED OR THE REQUIRED CODEC IS NOT INSTALLED"

I am running Vista

Any help greatly appreciated.

John
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4GH, Corsair SSD 120 GB Drive x 2, Corsair Vengeance 16GB Ram, Asrock Z68 Extreme 4, Internal Memory 2 TB x 2
Zotac GeForce GTX 570, LG Blue Ray Read / Write, External 1TB Drive x2.
Cope This 719

Re: old files not accessible

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:52 am

AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bobby » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:41 am

A couple of things John:

First of all, installing a BD player should not have changed your startup settings, except perhaps to add another program to write the disks. Did your local dealer install any programs or did he just physically put in the drive? If the latter, there should be no startup change.

You mentioned that you started up PE7, but then the icons were generic. Which icons are you referring to? What is the file extension of the file you had to search for and where was it when you found it?

The bottom line (from somebody in the business) is that it sounds like your local dealer did more harm than good. I would (after we identify the problems if we can) bring it back to him to make good. Don't you complicate the problem trying to fix his mistakes.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:06 am

I agree with Bobby. It sounds like they installed some software which removed or altered some of the file associations and possibly some codecs. "WINDOWS HAS BLOCKED SOME STARTUP PROGRAMS" occurs when a program that is automatically started at login requires UAC permission. Sounds fishy to me, startup programs associated with a burner normally shouldn't require that. You might want to use msconfig and look at the startup tab to see what's being started.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 7