They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Importing DVR-MS/WTV files into PRE7

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Importing DVR-MS/WTV files into PRE7

Postby charlesolawrence » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:34 pm

If this subject has been explored before, please point me in the right direction. I searched the forum but could not find anything specific.

I am now using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I previously used Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I have several Windows Media Center recorded TV programs both in DVR-MS format (older Vista) and in WTV format (newer Win7). I have read in Steve's book that PRE7 is happiest with DV-AVI format source files for editing. I would like to be able to convert the DVR-MS/WTV files to DV-AVI (with a minimum of effort) in order to import them into PRE 7 for editing, mostly to remove commercials and burn to DVD. So far, I have tried using a free converter (SUPER latest version v2010.build.38) and several commercial products (AVS Video Converter 6 version 6.4.4.420 and Digital Media Converter Pro version 3.2). All three of these programs support converting either DVR-MS or WTV source files to DV-AVI files. Now, I understand about AVI being just a "container" format where you have to specify which video and audio codecs to use. Therein lies my problem. I apparently don't know which codecs or specs to use. Nothing I have tried so far has resulted in a file that will successfully import into PRE7 and BOTH show the video and play the audio at the same time, although the files will successfully play with sound in Windows Media Player. Typically, I get a file that once imported into PRE7 will play the video OK, but the audio is not present. Not being a complete "doad", I have taken DV-AVI files from my Sony Handycam, which import just fine as expected, and put them into programs such as GSpot (v2.70a) and MediaInfo (v0.7.34 64 bit) to discover the "hidden" codec properties within the AVI container, and tried to specify as closely as possible the same codec specs to the converter programs. Alas, there is no joy in Mudville.

Has anyone out there been successful in making such a conversion to an AVI file, and if so what did you do? Can anyone give suggestions? I can provide as much detail as needed on what I have tried.

BTW: The new Windows Live Movie Maker does support DVR-MS/WTV source files, but does not support exporting to DV-AVI anymore, only WMV. Oh you pseudo gurus at Microsoft, why did you do this, the old Movie Maker was so much more versatile! WMV files will import OK into PRE7, but I am trying to stay with what is said to be the best work flow for PRE7. I have also tried used Sony Vegas Pro 9e 64 bit with similar but even more disappointing results. Even some of the video does not play!

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
charlesolawrence
New User
New User

Re: Importing DVR-MS/WTV files into PRE7

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:44 pm

Check out my Steve's Tips article on converting video for Premiere Elements. It gives you the precise specs to use to get a good output from Super.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0

Here's the basics:

Set the Output Container drop-down menu to DV -- and leave everything else at its default setting. (Although, if you are using PAL video, ensure that Video Scale Size is set to 720:576.) Drag the video you want to convert to the area just below the Output specs and click Encode.

Those specs will work -- IF the program can convert VTR files. I've never tried it, so I'm going to take your word for it that the files do load into the program okay. I've done searches all over the internet trying to find solutions for working with VTR video and FRAPS, and they're both tough nuts to crack!

If Super is a solution, please let us know! It could help lots of others out.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Importing DVR-MS/WTV files into PRE7

Postby charlesolawrence » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:41 pm

Hello Steve,

Thanks for responding to my question. I have read your article and tried your suggestions on using SUPER. I have the following results to report back.

I have only tried to convert files recorded with Windows Media Center, both DVR-MS (Vista) and WTV (Win7). I can say that the latest version of SUPER (v2010.build.38) does accept as input source files in either of these formats.

These are the results with WTV conversions.

When I set the output container to DV and left everything else at the default, the resultant file was a .DV file. I was expecting an .AVI file. However, I found, at least for me, that the DV file was OK in the video, but the audio was not acceptable. After going for a few seconds OK, then it had very loud static for a while. Then it would be OK for a little while more and then go back to the static. This repeated seemingly at random throughout the file. Basically the DV files were no good. The static audio was present in all the players and NLE's I tried, Windows Media Player, PRE7, PRE8, PRE PRO CS5, and Vegas Pro 9e.

I then set the output container to AVI, and the output video codec to DV Digital Video, and the output audio codec to WAV-(pcm 16 little endian). I put the other settings as shown in the attachment. This resulted in an .AVI file that would play both video and audio in all the aforementioned players and NLE's, with no problem (PRE8.0.1 is still unstable, with aborts seemingly at random for no apparent reason).

Just for grins, I tried setting the output audio codec to mp3, leaving all the other settings the same. The resultant .AVI would play video OK in all the programs, but the audio varied among the programs. It was OK in WMP and PRE7. PRE8 had an audio track, but no sound. PRE PRO CS5 was similar to PRE8, a track but no sound. It also reported an error when trying to conform the file, whatever that means. Vegas Pro 9e also was strange in that it had an audio track, but only for the 1st 6 seconds or so of the 30 minute clip.

When I tried converting DVR-MS files, I found that the conversion resulted in a file that would play video OK in Windows Media Player, but the audio would slowly get out of sync with the video, and by the end of the 30 minute clip, it would be several seconds delayed from the video. I did not pursue DVR-MS conversions any further.

Anyway, that's what I have discovered so far using SUPER. I am still pursuing other converter programs. Nothing to report yet.

What say you?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
charlesolawrence
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 7