They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Can't save clips as separate files

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Re: Can't save clips as separate files

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:32 pm

No problem. Let me see if I can help clear this up. When you start a PrEl project you add some basic ingredients such as movie clips or maybe still pictures. Then you spice this up with some transitions, effects, keyframing, slow-mo, volume adjustments, etc. When you're all finished you create a finished movie from this that may be burned as a DVD, or it can be output to a video file through File>Export>Movie. There are quite a few of these different output types, even including things like Flash movies for web site use.

Whatever type of output you choose, once you've used your PrEl project to create a finished product movie file of some type, that file doesn't contain any of the information from the PrEl project any longer. It's just a movie. It's like a chef baking cookies. Once he's mixed all of the ingredients together and made the dough he can't go back and work with the individual ingredients anymore. The only difference is that with PrEl you can go back into the original project if you like, make changes and adjustments, and output a new version of that movie.

So the idea is that so long as you keep things within the PrEl project realm you are free to do whatever you want regarding all the "ingredients." But once you output it as a finished movie, that movie no long contains those properties that we have been talking about.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby ChancyRat » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:47 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:No problem. Let me see if I can help clear this up. When you start a PrEl project you add some basic ingredients such as movie clips or maybe still pictures. Then you spice this up with some transitions, effects, keyframing, slow-mo, volume adjustments, etc. When you're all finished you create a finished movie from this that may be burned as a DVD, or it can be output to a video file through File>Export>Movie. There are quite a few of these different output types, even including things like Flash movies for web site use.

Whatever type of output you choose, once you've used your PrEl project to create a finished product movie file of some type, that file doesn't contain any of the information from the PrEl project any longer. It's just a movie. It's like a chef baking cookies. Once he's mixed all of the ingredients together and made the dough he can't go back and work with the individual ingredients anymore. The only difference is that with PrEl you can go back into the original project if you like, make changes and adjustments, and output a new version of that movie.

So the idea is that so long as you keep things within the PrEl project realm you are free to do whatever you want regarding all the "ingredients." But once you output it as a finished movie, that movie no long contains those properties that we have been talking about.

Veryyyy helpful.
So you can have a ROFL moment, I just caught on that what we're talking about for saving clips, which I've been hearing as the method in the main menu bar, drop down, select export, etc., is exactly the same thing as what I do to the final video, on the upper right side, "Share", personal computer, pre-set, etc. All this time I thought these were apples and oranges. :confused3: image063
BOINK!
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:27 pm

ChancyRat wrote:
Veryyyy helpful.
So you can have a ROFL moment, I just caught on that what we're talking about for saving clips, which I've been hearing as the method in the main menu bar, drop down, select export, etc., is exactly the same thing as what I do to the final video, on the upper right side, "Share", personal computer, pre-set, etc. All this time I thought these were apples and oranges. :confused3: image063
BOINK!

That's the way this stuff goes sometimes. :drunken: It's one of those things where once you understand what's going on you hardly give it a thought from then on. I'm using Version 7. I think I recall someone saying that in Version 8 they consolidated those functions into Share. But don't quote me.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Previous

Return to PRE Version 7