They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Using PE7 as a scanner?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Using PE7 as a scanner?

Postby OGUL » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:01 am

Hi all,
I use Windows 7.

My problem : I have Epson photo scanner 2450 but there is no drive for Windows 7 yet.!?!?
(I can use it with my old XP)

The book : The Moviepix Guide to Adobe Premiere Elements 7, page 8
I undersand that I can use PE7 while scanning?

Questions:
1-Shall I still need the drive for Windows 7 for my Epson?
2-If yes, "Get Media", which one to choose? PC files or folders??
3-Any other solution for my problem?? like Photoshop, etc??

Thanks in advance.
OGUL
New User
New User

Re: Using PE7 as a scanner?

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:01 am

You still need a driver.

Are you using Windows 7 - 32bit?

There is a Windows 7 compatible driver for your scanner, epson12242.exe:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/supp ... rm=Windows

It looks like you will need a 32-bit Vista application to scan with that driver. See the Notes.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:51 pm

Welcome to Muvipix, OGUL! :meet:

PE 7 can input directly from a scanner, but it does not supply a scanner driver. You need to have the driver for your scanner installed.

The driver RJ linked to should work if you have Windows 7 32-bit. However, the buttons on the scanner will not function and the scanner software that came with the scanner will probably not work either.

Another solution you can look at is the Vuescan software from Hamrick. http://www.hamrick.com/. Vuescan performs the scanning functions your scanner software did. It can use your scanner driver if you have one, but it also comes with its own driver so it can be used with scanners which have no operating system compatible drivers. Your scanner is in the supported scanner list. Here's the page that describes the support http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/epson_perfection_2450.html. It's not free ($40), but it's a lot cheaper than a new scanner. I have a much older scanner which does not have a Windows 7 compatible driver and I'm using it with no problems on Windows 7 64-bit. The Vuescan driver is not a Twain driver so it will only work with Vuescan, not PE 7. But, that's fine for my use. They have a free trial.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:29 pm

wow! That must be an old scanner. You're right -- there is no driver for Windows 7 64-bit -- Although there are drivers for Windows 95 and 98 and even Windows 7 32-bit.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/supp ... rm=Windows

But I'm afraid this scanner just isn't going to work on Windows 7 64-bit. Sorry.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:36 pm

I was going to mention Vuescan, as I have the professional version, but I couldn't get it to recognize my epson perfection 3490. I hadn't installed a driver yet after doing a clean install of Windows XP Pro SP3. Hmmm. I missed something.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Little Nac » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:32 pm

Hi Guys.
Thank you all for the info re the scanners. We have a HP 4470C Scanner, and we are both running Win 7 Pro 64bit.
I was all ready to throw the Scanner into the creek, but I have just read your Threads, and will give it a try.
We have to go out now for a couple of hours, so on our return, we'll try it.
We have noticed that the site says it supports our Scanner, so here is hoping.
Will let you know how we get on, if that is OK?
If anyone knows anything about our scanner, we are all ears!
Thanks again for the info and for such a great site as Muvipix.
Regards to all. :-5
If you are faced with a forced landing at night, switch on the landing lights, if you don't like what you see, switch them back off.
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:08 am

Little Nac, did you ever give Vuescan a try? If you still have that scanner, you may want to try the current version. Hamrick updates the software regularly and it now includes a twain driver. I use Photoshop and it works perfectly. It's nice to be able to scan from within Photoshop again.

Hamrick just this week released the new version 9 release which has both a 32-bit and 64-bit version. I installed the 64-bit version since I have the 64-bit version of Windows 7 and it's working well.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:52 am

OGUL wrote:Hi all,
I use Windows 7.

My problem....

I, too, have a very old Epson scanner (4490 Photo), so I was surprised when PSE7 recognized it, and I was able to "get" images directly from the scanner. I don't recall downloading an updated driver from Epson, but I might have.

The 4490 Photo is still available from B&H for $120, with no tax and free shipping. There are currently 57 customer reviews, and most of them are very positive (4.5/5 stars average customer rating).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=epson+4490&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

:hat:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:49 pm

George Tyndall wrote:....Epson scanner (4490 Photo)......

Great scanner and works perfectly in Win 7 64 bit.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Jayell » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:33 pm

Bob wrote:Another solution you can look at is the Vuescan software from Hamrick.

I think I've died and gone to heaven. :-D Somehow I missed this thread from earlier in the year. I've got an old Epson Perfection 1200u (purchased in Jun 2000) waiting for the junk heap. I have a new scanner, but hated giving up the slide and negative attachment from the Epson. I can now use them again on my Win7 64-bit machine. :yh: Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!!
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Little Nac » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:51 pm

Hi Bob.
Sorry I did not get back to you, but I thought the Thread was finished.
I did try Vuescan, but could not get it to work.
After now reading the remainder of threads, I have downloaded Vuescan once again for X64 Bit.
My Scanner is a HP 4470C, and I see in the list of supported Scanners that it is supported.
I have tried everything, but still can not get it to work. I have even tried what the Vuescan Site suggested and uninstalled the driver through Device Manager,
reboot the computer and tell Windows to look in C>Vuescan. But it still can not find it.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We have a couple of all in one printers, but they don't do as good a job as the HP.
So hope someone can please help.
Thanks again to all.
Little Nac

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
If you are faced with a forced landing at night, switch on the landing lights, if you don't like what you see, switch them back off.
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:07 pm

I also had a little trouble getting started. Seems like when I went back the second time and told it (I forget the exact wording) I had a scanner that had no software or driver loaded .. and to go ahead and load their software, it loaded fine. Make sure you turn the scanner on before you open VueScan or it won't find the scanner. I have two scanners, and it has an option for both.

Where do you get stuck? Getting the software loaded .. or doing an actual scan. It even shows up in my PE7 IMPORT options, even thought it doesn't actually work through PE.
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bubby Grub » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:51 pm

Hi Jayell
Thanks for the help, I am answering this on behalf of my other half Little Nac, yes he downloaded the 64bit, told it to load the software, it goes ahead and loads. Went into Photoshop comes up with Vuescan twain, goes to scan and it just says no scanners found.
Even followed the tip,' turn off and then turn it back on', same thing. Either it does not to want to accept it, or we are pretty thick.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

When all else fails, Hug your Teddy.
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:39 pm

Little Nac, it looks like you may be out of luck. I did some more reading at Hamrick and while the program is compatible with the HP 4470c, the site says you need the HP driver -- which we know isn't available for Windows 7 or Vista. That limits it to Windows XP. I don't know why the generic Vuescan driver can't work with it, but I'm guessing there is a proprietary interface that isn't documented by HP or may involve a patent issue.
Bob

Postby Little Nac » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:07 am

Thanks Bob.
Glad to see that I am not completely nuts!!
Typical of HP.
Won't bring out a driver because they want you to buy a new Scanner. Well they are out of luck.
At least I still have an old computer here with XP on it, so I'll use it with that. A little inconvenient, but it seems silly to throw out a perfectly good scanner.
Anyway, thanks again Bob for the help.
Regards,
Little Nac

Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to PRE Version 7