They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

editing questions - hidden clips & saving files

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

editing questions - hidden clips & saving files

Postby ChancyRat » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:14 am

Two questions, thanks,

- In trying to find unneeded clips that I should delete before processing the final video, I have been page-downing through them. Oddly, in the current video I'm editing, the page-down moves twice beyond the end of the last clip that is relevant, as if there are two problem clips. They're about 2 or 4 inches off to the right. And I had had clips there while putting the entire thing together. I have zoomed in as far as the system will go to see any sliver of a clip and there is nothing there to delete. I was sure that in the video I did before this, page-down would come to the last clip of the video and stop, properly. I have made sure to delete empty tracks. Since I'm having trouble uploading this video to SmugMug, I'm trying to assess this issue. Help would be appreciated.

I'll save the 2nd question for after this one.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: editing questions - hidden clips & saving files

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:12 am

It really does sound like there's a "sliver" like you said. Probably a couple of them. It sounds like you're just not finding them. They may be only one frame in length, difficult to see sometimes. There's another way you can approach this. Zoom out until your whole project is visible on timeline, plus the area that's in question. Then click and drag with the mouse to "lasso" all of the empty area beyond your project. That will select any stray clips. Press the delete key to get rid of anything you selected. See if this helps.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:45 am

One other thought occurs to me...
Is it possible that you have added tracks above that you've forgotten about that might contain the rogue clips? You might be looking on the wrong track(s) for them.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby ChancyRat » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:49 am

Dave McElderry wrote:One other thought occurs to me...
Is it possible that you have added tracks above that you've forgotten about that might contain the rogue clips? You might be looking on the wrong track(s) for them.

Thank you I must have had something there because I lassoed and now the page down doesn't go beyond the last proper clip. I was careful to repeat the lasso on all the tracks, then delete empty tracks again. What in the world would be there if I'm not able to see anything when I zoom all the way in? Can there be something there smaller than the smallest frame, and what?
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ChancyRat » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:55 am

Okay, 2nd question. I know I haven't been doing this in a good way, but am I causing problems as a result? I open a video pre file that I have been working with, load up clips, titles, videos, photos, etc., work with it for a while, and then save it as is, and at some point I decide to save it again with a new name. When I'm ready to edit the next video, I open the version with the new name, and edit from there. What this allows me to do is work with all the same titles and clips that were in the previous video. I'll delete the video clips I'm not using and import the new video clips I need. I edit all the titles in an ongoing way, some I just re-use, some I ignore.

I believe the proper way - correct me if I'm wrong - is that I should be saving all the individual titles and whatnot that I use, as separate files, in the folder I'm working from. Then I'm supposed to open a brand new empty pre file, one with nothing in it, and re-load all the titles and clips I need for that?

I think the question is, am I degrading anything, or negatively affecting anything, with this method of re-using the same pre file over and over? I'm aware of one problem, that if/when I go back to an old file and open it, I will have lost many of the files, but I don't really need to go back like that (knock on wood).

Thanks.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:09 pm

ChancyRat wrote:Thank you I must have had something there because I lassoed and now the page down doesn't go beyond the last proper clip. I was careful to repeat the lasso on all the tracks, then delete empty tracks again. What in the world would be there if I'm not able to see anything when I zoom all the way in? Can there be something there smaller than the smallest frame, and what?

No, there's nothing smaller than a single frame. It's just easy to miss a single frame when you're zoomed all the way in. The "magnification" is so high that you're looking at a very small section of the timeline. That's why I suggested the lasso technique.

Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:20 pm

ChancyRat wrote:I think the question is, am I degrading anything, or negatively affecting anything, with this method of re-using the same pre file over and over? I'm aware of one problem, that if/when I go back to an old file and open it, I will have lost many of the files, but I don't really need to go back like that (knock on wood).

No, there's no degradation. It's all in the digital realm, so no matter how many times you copy and paste and reuse it, it's all just the same ones and zeros. The only time that you lose quality is when rendering takes place, like when you export a project as a separate video file, or when you burn a DVD (which changes your AVI video into MPEG). However, from what I understand, you can export edited AVI project video to a separate AVI with very little degradation. It's only after multiple times of doing this that you would begin to notice any problems. Some people will do this so that they can use edited AVI produced from one project in another project.

Bottom line is that there are always a lot of different ways to do things, but everyone has different workflows. The process you describe is not causing any degradation.

Dave McElderry

Postby ChancyRat » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:42 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:
ChancyRat wrote:Thank you I must have had something there because I lassoed and now the page down doesn't go beyond the last proper clip. I was careful to repeat the lasso on all the tracks, then delete empty tracks again. What in the world would be there if I'm not able to see anything when I zoom all the way in? Can there be something there smaller than the smallest frame, and what?

No, there's nothing smaller than a single frame. It's just easy to miss a single frame when you're zoomed all the way in. The "magnification" is so high that you're looking at a very small section of the timeline. That's why I suggested the lasso technique.

Silly me, I should have known that. #-o
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ChancyRat » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:43 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:
ChancyRat wrote:I think the question is, am I degrading anything, or negatively affecting anything, with this method of re-using the same pre file over and over? I'm aware of one problem, that if/when I go back to an old file and open it, I will have lost many of the files, but I don't really need to go back like that (knock on wood).

No, there's no degradation. It's all in the digital realm, so no matter how many times you copy and paste and reuse it, it's all just the same ones and zeros. The only time that you lose quality is when rendering takes place, like when you export a project as a separate video file, or when you burn a DVD (which changes your AVI video into MPEG). However, from what I understand, you can export edited AVI project video to a separate AVI with very little degradation. It's only after multiple times of doing this that you would begin to notice any problems. Some people will do this so that they can use edited AVI produced from one project in another project.

Bottom line is that there are always a lot of different ways to do things, but everyone has different workflows. The process you describe is not causing any degradation.

Thanks very much.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 7