They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Problem with PE7

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Problem with PE7

Postby Jay » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:55 pm

Hello, Guys/Gals
I want to find out if anyone else has had this problem with PE7.
Just got a new computer: Windows 7 Ultimate, intel core i7 cpu 930@2.8 GHz, RAM 4 GB
64 Bit OS and 500 GB HD
Start a new project with just stills (size 1000 x 700) for a sideshow. Everything works but when I
Try to put in a Transition between frames. Everything closes down. I mean, I’m back to the desktop. Things I’ve tried: Reinstalled PE7, Changes projects to a new one by starting over with everything, Restarted computer to clear everything on every try…etc… Still nothing helps..
Is there something wrong with WIN 7 and 64 bit that PE7 don’t like? From reading everything from the forum about PE8 and its problems, I don’t want to go that route and upgrade.. What do you guys think?
Jay
Jay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Problem with PE7

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:31 pm

There could be, Jay. Windows 7 64-bit seems to have an uneasy relationship with Premiere Elements. Version 8 is even more problematic on it -- but sometimes version 7 gets a bit buggy on it too.

We're all still hoping Windows 7 SP1's release later this summer will resolve most of the issues.

Meantime, manually go to Windows Update and ensure you have even the non-critical updates. (Firmware and driver updates are often among them.) And, for good measure, go to the ATI or nVidia site and make sure you've got the latest drivers for your video card. Then go to Apple.com and get the latest version of Quicktime. That may or may not resolve it -- but it least it puts the odds a bit more in your favor.

The shutdown you describe, by the way, sounds like a memory issue -- so it could be an issue with scratch space on your hard drive. You've got plenty of room on your hard drive but, being a brand new set up, it could be loaded with temp files and fragmentation.

Here's my personal favorite program for keeping things on my computer tuned up and cleared off. I like it because it seems to do it all -- and with a single click! I run it every Saturday morning. See if it helps you.
http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html

And, of course, be sure to run your defragmenter regularly.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jay » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:03 pm

Thanks, Steve
I've done all of that.. I have been with IONbit from reading your book for a long time.. to keep my computers clean..
Boy, This is some kind of problem with PE7... poor . workmanship coming out of Adobe lately. On my laptop with With window 7,which I've used for years, works great. but its a 32 bit. This new desktop computer is no "over the counter" model..I.E DELL,HP,,etc this is a clean machine.
Thanks for you Help and keep those Tutorials coming.
Jay
Jay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:27 am

In defense of version 7, Jay, it's one of the best builds Adobe has produced, in my opinion. (Now version 8, that's another story.) It works great on XP, Vista and, I'd expect, the 32-bit version of Windows 7.

But, as I've said, Premiere Elements on Windows 7 64-bit is an uneasy marriage and can (not always, but it can) be problematic. It's this relatively new operating system -- not Premiere Elements 7 -- that's not quite ripe yet.

Still, I'm sorry you're having problems, Jay. Problems with version 7 are pretty rare. I hope someone has a suggestion for you.

BTW, you say that this is no "over the counter" model. Are you implying that it was built by someone other than a major brand? A home build? A local computer shop?

"Over the counter", at least when you're talking about HPs and Dells, is not a negative thing. Those systems are usually well built, and well tested.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:36 am

I have Premiere Elements 7 and use it on Windows 7 64-bit and have had absolutely no problems with either. In my experience, Windows 7 64-bit has been the most stable version of Windows I've ever used. That said, with the large variety of third party components and drivers available it's entirely possible that you may have an issue with either the hardware or a 3rd party driver.

The most common component to have problems is the video component. If your video driver allows you to turn off the video hardware acceleration, try doing that to see if the problem resolves. Quite frequently, full hardware acceleration can expose problems in the driver or card and backing the acceration down will help.

What video card are you using?
Bob

Postby Jay » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:22 pm

Thanks, Bob and Steve
The Video drive is NVIDIA GEForce GT 240.
Bob, I'm not on the same level you are with computers and other editing programs, so you have to take it slow for an old fart like me. But I am open to anything you guys suggest. You've always have been a great help in the past.
Steve, I did not mean to imply that DELL , HP or other top brands are inferior, its just my computer guy, went and tried to get the best parts available to build a super computer. And I think he did.
I would sure like PE7 to work with this new computer and not have to wait around until Adobe decides to makes a patch to fix a screw up. Are they to BIG to fail and need a bail out?
Thanks
Jay
Jay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby roadsideron » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:53 pm

Sometimes it could be related to the files you're using that shut PE 7 down. I've had rogue files that when I insert them on the timeline they do funny things. I would try and start a new project and use the windows default photos in "My Documents" and insert transitions between them to see if it works. You could also take some sample video clips and randomly put them on the timeline with the photos and test those with transitions. If all is well, then it comes down to your file types.
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:58 pm

Jay, FWIW, I've been using PrEl 7 on a Dell Studio XPS i7 system running Windows 7-64 for over a year now. I've only had one issue that I can recall. It has to do with getting in too big of a hurry when creating titles. If I make certain types of changes to a title and click in the timeline a little too quickly after doing so, I can cause the program to lock up or just plain crash by shutting down instantly. I try to remember to avoid doing this, but I still make a point of saving often just in case. Other than that it works just fine. BTW, my graphics card is a Radeon HD 4670.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:46 am

Jay,

NVIDIA rings a bell. I remember seeing a lot of problems with Premiere Elements 7 crashing when transitions were applied and the NVIDIA 3D Stereoscopic driver was installed. Uninstalling that driver eliminated the problem. I don't know whether the latest NVIDIA driver release has corrected that problem or not.

Try this: Go into the Windows control panel and select uninstall a program. In the list of programs locate and select the NVIDIA 3D Stereoscopic Driver and uninstall it. Leave the other NVIDIA entries alone. Shutdown and restart the system and try adding your transitions in Premiere Elements. Let us know what happens.
Bob

Postby Jay » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:14 am

To all you guys, Thanks for all sugs.. but Deleting NVIDIA 3D Stereoscopic Driver did the trick..who would have thunk...
Saved me from the brink again. Thanks again
Jay
Jay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:50 am

::CLAP: ::CLAP: ::CLAP:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:53 pm

Glad to hear it!
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:32 pm

Excellent job as always everyone :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:43 pm

Bob gets the prize! But we all love to hear these success stories!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 7