They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Flipping perspective?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Flipping perspective?

Postby Ted » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:25 am

Hello all,

One of my hobbies is papercrafting and I like to do tutorials for my blog to show how I do certain techniques. The problem I'm having it having it appear as if the camera angle is from MY view point.

I've used a tall tripod and have tried to sit behind it, moving my arms around the legs of the tripod to get that perspective... but at times, if I bend over the work, the camera gets the beautiful glare of my bald(ing?) head! :-

So I was wondering...is there a way to have the camera in FRONT of me (on a tripod, of course) FACING me...but then using PrEl to "flip" the perspective (vertically I believe) to make it appear as the viewer is seeing things as I would see them?

Am I making much sense? :)

Thanks for any tips!
"Satan trembles when he sees
the weakest saint on his knees."
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Flipping perspective?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:51 am

If I understand, you're shooting yourself -- but you want to be able to cut away at times?

You could always shoot some "b roll" footage, demonstrating what you're discussing. Then add it to Video 2, over your main video, so that it cuts away, as your talking continues to be heard, to this other footage.

Is that what you're trying to do?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ted » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:55 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:If I understand, you're shooting yourself -- but you want to be able to cut away at times?

You could always shoot some "b roll" footage, demonstrating what you're discussing. Then add it to Video 2, over your main video, so that it cuts away, as your talking continues to be heard, to this other footage.

Is that what you're trying to do?

Hi Steve, and thanks for responding.

No, I'd like to:

1. Sit at a table, demonstrating my technique(s).
2. Have my camcorder opposite me (facing me) aimed down at my hands showing the technique.
3. Use the software to flip the footage so that it appears as if the camera is ABOVE me, but facing away (as if the viewer is sitting in my spot looking at my hands in front of me, rather than sitting across from me).

Ugh.... I'm sorry I'm not making it clearer.
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby stanatou » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:58 am

How about a small table tripod that sits on the table in front of you? Might be easier to work around but your camera will have to be able to focus up pretty close.

Stan
stanatou
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:33 am

There are two effects in Premiere Elements that can do this, Flip and Mirror I believe.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mark hansen » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Flip and mirror would put the left hand on the right and right on the left, but its not going to take the back of your hands and make then the palms.

the only thing I can think of is getting a smaller camera and make a stand that you can wrap your hands around. Something that claps to the table perhaps.
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Ted » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:22 pm

mark hansen wrote:Flip and mirror would put the left hand on the right and right on the left, but its not going to take the back of your hands and make then the palms.

the only thing I can think of is getting a smaller camera and make a stand that you can wrap your hands around. Something that claps to the table perhaps.

I'm not trying to make the back of my hands look like the palms.

I guess I'm not explaining myself well. I'll figure something out. Thanks for your attempts to help.

I thought this would be an easy thing to accomplish.
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:22 pm

If the camera is pointed toward you then your left hand is on the cameras right side.
If you mirror that, like the camera was in your position, then your right hand will be on the right side.

Is this not correct Mark? Maybe I'm not thinking correctly.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ted » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:28 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:If the camera is pointed toward you then your left hand is on the cameras right side.
If you mirror that, like the camera was in your position, then your right hand will be on the right side.

Is this not correct Mark? Maybe I'm not thinking correctly.

If this is correct, then it would work. I guess I want to go from "Audience Perspective" to "Teacher Perspective"....if that helps? :)
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:50 pm

Ted, try a short clip and add the Mirror Effect. See if that is what you are looking for.
I don't think you are going to get exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Best bet would be a camera above pointed directly down on the action and zoomed to a good level where nothing else would be seen. This type of tutorial work is not easily accomplished as you can see. Connecting the camera to some sort of small crane would be good, kind of like that desk lamps that you can move into 100's of positions. If you could connect your camera to something like that it would probably work great for getting the shot you are trying to get.

This is kind of cool if you could connect a camcorder to it
http://www.amazon.com/FlexStand-Flexibl ... B0000DBJRR

Something like this on a much smaller scale would be great :)
http://www.instructables.com/id/16-feet ... e-for-$60/

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ted » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:54 pm

Chuck, thanks for going above and beyond. :) Much appreciated!

I'll try a short clip and mirror it. Where might I find this in the software? Is it under effects? I guess it would help for me to LOOK at the software (I'm here at work), huh? ;)

Thanks again!
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Ted » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:03 pm

Okay...here's an example of a tutorial (cardmaking)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCAA9XnD ... CWrEDil640

What my problem is: I'm a fairly tall guy (5'10"), so it's hard to be sitting where the tripod is and having the camera point downward (over my head).

I guess I was hoping that the camera could be ACROSS from me filming my hands, etc. and then I can just flip the video to have it look like the sample video above. :)

(Does that explain it better? :) )

I truly do appreciate all of your efforts. :) Thanks!
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:41 pm

The camera in that video is pointed down from directly above the work area.
Need to find something that will hold the camera there.

The Mirror Effect is in the Effects, just search the effects for Mirror ;)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:06 pm

You are making this too difficult. If you think about it a moment, assuming that you can keep the camera close to an overhead viewpoint, all you need to do is rotate the video 180 degrees . Frame the shot so the hands are at the top and the work surface is below. After rotation, the hands will be at the bottom properly orientated. As long as you tightly frame the shot and don't stray too far from vertical, it should look fine. If the camera is too far forward, so the angle from vertical is large, you'll get perspective distortion that won't look right. Why not experiment and see what's tolerable.

If you could somehow mount the camera upside down, you wouldn't even need to rotate the video in PrE. :lol:
Bob

Postby Ted » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:16 pm

Bob wrote:You are making this too difficult. If you think about it a moment, assuming that you can keep the camera close to an overhead viewpoint, all you need to do is rotate the video 180 degrees . Frame the shot so the hands are at the top and the work surface is below. After rotation, the hands will be at the bottom properly orientated. As long as you tightly frame the shot and don't stray too far from vertical, it should look fine. If the camera is too far forward, so the angle from vertical is large, you'll get perspective distortion that won't look right. Why not experiment and see what's tolerable.

If you could somehow mount the camera upside down, you wouldn't even need to rotate the video in PrE. :lol:

Bob, you're describing exactly what I want to do... how do I rotate the video 180 degrees? Is that done with the camera or software? Thanks! :)
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Next

Return to PRE Version 7