They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PE 7 to CS4/CS5

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

PE 7 to CS4/CS5

Postby irispix » Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 am

I am going to be upgrading to Adobe Creative Suite Production Premium — CS4 or maybe CS5.
Will these programs be able to read my videos created with PE 7?
irispix
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: PE 7 to CS4/CS5

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue May 11, 2010 11:13 am

The videos created should be readable in both since they conform to a known standard. I also believe that CS4 with read a version 7 project file. So in theory (I said in theory), you could take your PrEl 7 project and finish it in CS4. Note that it will not be able to go backwards though.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: PE 7 to CS4/CS5

Postby Bob » Tue May 11, 2010 1:53 pm

I just installed Production Premium CS5 and opening a PrE project was one of the things I tried. It recognized the premiere elements project file and opened it in two conversion steps. The first was a conversion from a premiere elements project to a premiere pro project. The second was a conversion from (according to the message window that popped up) an older version premiere pro project format to the current version premiere pro project format. Apparently, the elements to pro conversion routine doesn't convert to the current format and needs to be converted again. The original elements project was not replaced or changed.

I tried it with several projects and it worked fine. One project popped up a message that an effect was missing (it was in elements but not in pro). Another project was missing a clip and Pro asked where it was located.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 7