They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Premiere Elements 7 - capture from Canon Legria HFS100

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Premiere Elements 7 - capture from Canon Legria HFS100

Postby elindsay » Tue May 04, 2010 9:30 am

I have downloaded everything from the disks provided with my Canon Legria camcorder. I also checked the Canon website to make sure there were no new drivers. There is nothing. However, I tried connecting my camera to my computer via USB and Premiere Elements 7 indicated the device was offline.
I cannot see any port on the camcorder to take a firewire.
I would like to download via the camcorder so that the clips are loaded straight in to the timeline. I have otherwise been going through the laborious process of capturing via my cardreader and downloading individual clips in to the timeline.

Can anyone help?

Kind Regards

Erika
elindsay
New User
New User

Re: Premiere Elements 7 - capture from Canon Legria HFS100

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue May 04, 2010 9:56 am

Hi Erika, What you are doing is the only way. Premiere Elements doesn't capture from a USB device.
So you have been doing it the right way, and the only way, all along :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Tue May 04, 2010 10:04 am

The Canon HFS100 is an AVCHD camcorder so you should be able to capture using the Harddrive camcorder preset. However I have heard of a few folks having trouble capturing directly into Premiere Elements with Canon AVCHD camcorders. I have a Sony AVCHD camcorder and always capture the videos using Sony's "Motion Picture Browser" software that came with the camcorder and then import manually into Premiere Elements. I like to catalog the videos in the Sony software library.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby elindsay » Wed May 05, 2010 10:21 am

Thanks to you both for your help. Excuse an ignorant question. Pixel image mixer came with my camcorder. I can't edit using this software. However, should I be using this to capture from my camcorder? Would PE7 upload from Pixel Image mixer? Otherwise- sorry Steve to mention other software, is there an editing package that could capture from a Canon Legria? Many thanks Kind Regards Erika
elindsay
New User
New User

Postby Paul LS » Wed May 05, 2010 12:57 pm

Pixela ImagerMixer is used for importing the video files onto your computer, managing/organizing them and playing them. To import them into Premiere Elements you would use the "Import from Folder" function. You select all the video files on your computer that you want to import. Then you can import them all in one go.

Most editing programs should be able to import directly from the camcorder. Whether they actually can is another question. :)
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby rusty » Wed May 05, 2010 4:51 pm

I use Pixela Imagemaker to capture from my Canon HF10. It works great. I then rename and organize the AVCHD files in folders as I want them, and import them via Get Media/Files and Folders when I want them for a project. It works great.
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby elindsay » Thu May 06, 2010 11:01 am

Many thanks to you all for your help. It's so much appreciated. Kind Regards Erika
elindsay
New User
New User

Postby elindsay » Fri May 07, 2010 10:19 am

I've used Pixela now. I created a new list and captured my video. I cannot see exactly how to save them to my computer. They have sort of ended up under my videos. I've read the manual and put the correct settings in but am still confused. If I down load from Pixela to Premiere elements, I suppose I will still have to manually insert each clip in to the timeline?

Kind Regards

Erika
elindsay
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 7