They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

"File cannot be linked" error

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

"File cannot be linked" error

Postby Barefoot Alf » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:22 pm

Hi Folks.

I'm in trouble now. I've been working on a video project for my employer using Adobe Premier Elements 7 and today had a crash. All of my MOD files have gone off line. I called Adobe, but they want $29 to give me the answer to this problem.

The error message is "The selected file cannot be linked because its type (video) does not match the original file's type (audio and video)."

Steve, I was one step away from rendering the first chapter of my video into an avi file, per your advice in your book.

Adobe support (the guy in India) said that I should not have moved my source files. Well, I'm sure you know that I would not do that in mid-project.

Can you help me to restore my video files in my project?

I'm really in a bind here.

Thank you,

Brian
Barefoot Alf
New User
New User

Re: "File cannot be linked" error

Postby Barefoot Alf » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:31 pm

I've decided to try an upgrade to see if that will fix the problem. Adobe seems to think V8 will not have this problem.

Wish me luck.

Brian (a.k.a. Alf)
Barefoot Alf
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:16 pm

I don't think the upgrade will do the trick. I think the file properties in the project file are corrupted. You might be able to import the files again and use "replace clip from" to replace the bad reference. (see the help file for details) But, no guarantees. You may need to redo the project.

If you have been autosaving the project, you might try opening one of the earlier project files from before the crash.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:32 am

I agree with Bob. Adobe's tech people seem to be recommending that "upgrade" as the solution to a number of programs. On the contrary, upgrading to version 8 can only make things worse, in my not-so-humble opinion!

It's hard to say what went wrong. Bob's is a great solution. But we'd almost have to know a lot more about your project -- and where your source video files are located on your computer (e.g., on an external drive, on a network, still on your camcorder) -- before we can offer specific advice.

Regardless, you've come to Muvipix -- and that's always the best place to come for help! Welcome to town!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barefoot Alf » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:39 pm

I am now running Premier Elements 8 and that immediately solved the problem. The project is intact.

Thanks for the suggestions Bob and Steve.

Steve, I think I will need a new book. Your book on version 7 was by my side every time I ran Premier Elements 7. Do you have an updated book for version 8? (I'll probably find it if I look for it.)

I seem to have lost all of my directorys and tags from version 7. Is there a way to recover them or import them into version 8. I didn't run the wizard for the organizer yet.

The problem that I had related to Panasonic's MOD files. There are two files produced by the Panasonic cameras. Elements 7 could not re-link because it forgot to look at both of the files -- at least, I think that was the problem. Version 8 re-conformed (whatever conforming means) all of the video files and that fixed the problem.

Now I have to learn the new interface and carry on with my project.

Thanks,

Brian.
Barefoot Alf
New User
New User

Postby Barefoot Alf » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:42 pm

By the way, I didn't pay anything to the Adobe techs in India. But they got my e-mail address. :(
Barefoot Alf
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:05 pm

I'm glad that it's working under PrE 8. Not sure exactly why that worked, but as long as it did that's great.

It could possibly be something to do with those conformed files or possibly the preferences file was damaged. Conformed files have to do with the audio. When the audio in the source clips doesn't match the project preset (for example, when the sampling frequency is different) the audio will be reprocessed to "conform" to the project. Possibly, the crash corrupted the media cache database or possibly even the conformed files themselves.
Bob

Postby Barb O » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:49 pm

Barefoot Alf wrote:I am now running Premier Elements 8 and that immediately solved the problem. The project is intact.
I seem to have lost all of my directorys and tags from version 7. Is there a way to recover them or import them into version 8. I didn't run the wizard for the organizer yet.
Brian.

I hesitated responding at first because I have used Photoshop Elements 8 but I have not used Premiere Elements 8, so it will be better if someone using both of the version 8 products also responds.

However, I hope that the following will be useful.

When you first start the Organizer in Version 8, it should ask you if you want to upgrade your Catalog from v7 for use in v8. This upgrade process preserves the Tags that you had assigned under version 7 or earlier versions and makes them usable in version 8.

Now I am not sure what you mean by "directorys": this is probably just terminology - did you perhaps mean what Adobe Elements calls "Albums" ? If it is "Albums", then the catalog upgrade process should also make those available under v8. If you mean something different, I suggest that you post a descriptive example.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barefoot Alf » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Your tip was helpful, Barb.

I found a "Convert..." button in the Catalog Manager and it found my Premier Elements 7 Catalog. Everything has been restored. I'm getting happier as I go forward with Version 8.

Thank you,

Brian
Barefoot Alf
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:52 pm

And you gotta just love this forum :)
Thanks for the great help Barb :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:44 pm

And all of our "Muvipix Guides" for versions 7 and 8 (as well as our classic "In a Snap" book for version 2) are available in the Muvipix.com store:
http://astore.amazon.com/chuckengelsco-20/
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:12 pm

Barefoot Alf wrote:Your tip was helpful, Barb.

I found a "Convert..." button in the Catalog Manager and it found my Premier Elements 7 Catalog. Everything has been restored. I'm getting happier as I go forward with Version 8.

Thank you,
Brian

Glad that the information was helpful. Your question has indicated that the Tags are important to you: the Elements Catalog is the primary file that keeps the tagging information as well as other info tracked by the Organizer.

So I will emphasize that it is important that whatever software you are using for backing up your files (like your video, photo and other important files) includes a backup of your Adobe Elements Organizer catalog plus its associated files.

When you are in the Organizer workspace, on the Help menu there is a choice of "System info". That choice gives you the name and the folder location for your current Catalog. The catalog itself is a .pse8db file type: however it is import that you back up the entire folder which contains the .pse8db file in order to include the "associated files".
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barefoot Alf » Sun May 02, 2010 8:51 pm

Thank you, Everyone, for all the help.

../Brian
Barefoot Alf
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:38 am

Welcome to Muvipix Daniell :meet:
Glad you found what you were looking for :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 7