They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Crashing/debug error message :(

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Crashing/debug error message :(

Postby ChancyRat » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:32 pm

Oh no apparently my first real program problem.
I was trying to find out how to save a clip from the timeline. I had left-clicked it. I went up to the menu bar and clicked Clip, and instantly got a bad bad message:

Premier Elements Debug Event
Premier Elements has encountered an error.
[...\..\Src\Marker\Marks.cpp-187]

After "okay":

Sorry, PE has encountered a serious problem and will attempt to save your file before closing.

I could only 'okay' and the program disappeared.

The following messages occurred as I tried to re-open the file:
- It appears PE closed unexpectedly in the previous session. Do you want to open the previous project? [yes]
- On opening PE next, a new error message: The project file that is being opened is a recovery project. We will try our best to open this project but we can make no guarantees. Please save this project to a new file (don't save it over your existing project). [so I did]

After experimenting about 9 times, this:
- it happens only when one specific clip on the timeline is highlighted, and that clip is a video clip, about 300 MB in size
- the crash happened when I clicked either Clip or Timeline on the menu bar, always on Clip and only once on Timeline.
- the crash does NOT happen on the other menu options (File, etc.)
- the crash did not occur when NO clips were highlighted. (so I was able to click any menu toolbar dropdown).
- the crash does not happen when a title or audio clip is highlighted.

Suggestions would be appreciated.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Crashing/debug error message :(

Postby momoffduty » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:23 pm

To save a clip: File>Export>Movie. As for the crashing maybe someone will have an answer. If it is any consolation I crash my programs on a regular basis. Be sure to Save often and if working on a large project may want to Save As another name or v1, v2, etc. I save the version way if I want to try something out and can always go back to the previous version if it doesn't pan out.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby ChancyRat » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:27 pm

momoffduty wrote:To save a clip: File>Export>Movie. As for the crashing maybe someone will have an answer. If it is any consolation I crash my programs on a regular basis. Be sure to Save often and if working on a large project may want to Save As another name or v1, v2, etc. I save the version way if I want to try something out and can always go back to the previous version if it doesn't pan out.

My system crashes all the time as well, just not when I attempt to access the drop down menu items. :( And these are my first "recovery" type crashes. :(

For saving a clip, are you saying I highlight one clip, then go to File>Export>Movie, and that one clip will save? Do I have to drag it back into the Project area when I want to use it in another video? I have a feeling this is so basic that you must be ROFL. :mrgreen:
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 pm

Not laughing at all Chancy....I probably asked the same Q 3 years ago. :)

Highlight the edited clip in the timeline and then File>Export>Movie. A dialog box will open to prompt you to save & name. I usually make a new folder for these type of clips in my project file location.

In that same dialog box, click on "settings". The default should be DV-AVI and the default should be checked to "add to project".

After this is saved the new clip will appear in your Project 'media' panel.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Paul LS » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:47 pm

it happens only when one specific clip on the timeline is highlighted, and that clip is a video clip, about 300 MB in size

Is this clip the same format as your other clips or is it different. What type of clip is it... DV-AVI, AVCHD, MPEG2???
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ChancyRat » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:13 pm

Paul LS wrote:
it happens only when one specific clip on the timeline is highlighted, and that clip is a video clip, about 300 MB in size

Is this clip the same format as your other clips or is it different. What type of clip is it... DV-AVI, AVCHD, MPEG2???

AVCHD, 1920 x 1080, Sony.

EDIT to add - the other clips are mp3 or jpg, title slides. The only video formats are AVCHD. Thanks for thinking about this problem.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 7