They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

AVCHD V TAPE HDV

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

AVCHD V TAPE HDV

Postby Cope This 719 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:20 am

As my Canon HV30 is in for repairs under warranty and the dealer looks like offering me a partial deal on a Canon HF S21 I was wondering if any of you have gone from HV tape to AVCHD as a medium. At present I am using Premier Elements 7 and am told by the Canon rep that editing may take some time to get used to AVCHD. Does anyone know weather or not the AVCHD has improved for this brand new camera.

Any help will be most appreciated

Regards John
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4GH, Corsair SSD 120 GB Drive x 2, Corsair Vengeance 16GB Ram, Asrock Z68 Extreme 4, Internal Memory 2 TB x 2
Zotac GeForce GTX 570, LG Blue Ray Read / Write, External 1TB Drive x2.
Cope This 719

Re: AVCHD V TAPE HDV

Postby Paul LS » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:13 am

I use both... it is a trade off between convience (AVCHD) and ease of editing (HDV). The convience of being able to just drag and drop AVCHD video clips from the camcorder to your computer is great. However they are a real pain to edit. You really need a fast quad core machine if you dont want to be left frustrated... otherwise use PE7 to convert the AVCHD to HDV MPEG2 and then bring these back in for editing.

And I would recommed PE7 over PE8 for AVCHD editing... Adobe broke AVCHD editing in going from PE7 to PE8... PE8 is virtually unuseable for AVCHD.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby mark hansen » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 pm

Paul LS wrote: PE8 is virtually unuseable for AVCHD.

What!!!!! that's why I got PE8! Tonight I will be trying to get it to run. Are you saying even if I got PE8 running, it won't allow me to edit AVCHD?

I was able run the footage through a DV camera that has pass through and capture it with PE3,and record it to DV tape. I expected quality to go down, and it did. I may try to use a S-video cord for the video. That may help a bit.

Mark
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:12 pm

PE8 will edit AVCHD... it is just that in PE7 the timeline would playback smoothly on my processor without the need to render. With PE8 the playback in the monitor without rendering is very bad... not sure what it is. It will playback but there are continuous glitches that can only be gotten rid of by rendering... even though the clip should not need to be rendered. Having to render unecessarily is very frustrating!!!
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby mark hansen » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:43 pm

Well I did get it running, and got the footage in, but its very jumpy... even after rendering ](*,) it look very bad!
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to PRE Version 7