They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Video Quality

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Video Quality

Postby SteveG » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:00 pm

I have separated each scene into different project files for the project I am working on now. I am getting to the point that I need to export each scene and import them into the full movie project.

I have been playing around for several days with different types of output and testing them on a tv to see the quality. I think I am just confusing myself.

When this movie is finished it will be played on a larger sized screen at a convention and there could be some DVD distribution.

What I am looking for is the best quality (or best suggestion) I can get for the larger screens like at the convention. I went through Steve's ADVANCED OUTPUT OPTIONS IN PREMIERE ELEMENTS 7. I am also trying to recall this from several days ago when I was doing the testing. I would just like some kind of confirmation on my selections. I have two questions.

1. What file type should I export each scene? I know it should be AVI but I don't want to do the uncompresssed because the file size will just be too large. From what I remember there is MS DV-AVI and MS AVI, or something like that? I want something where the quality is below uncompressed but high enough to play my intended target?

2. What type of field should it be? Since the intended target is not on a computer, should it be left at Lower Field First? Plus it should not be Deinterlaced, correct?
Steve G

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Video Quality

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:16 pm

Since your ultimate output is to DVD, you won't need a hi-def output. Just export each segment to a 720x480 DV-AVI. (Use Share/Personal Computer/DV-AVI)

For your final mixdown, create a project with standard DV or, if appropriate, widescreen DV settings. Your clips should come in with neither a red nor green line over them when you place them on the timeline. The DVD you output should look virtually as good as your DV-AVIs, and it should look great even projected on the big screen.

You won't get better quality outputting each segment as, say, an uncompressed AVI. The footage from your camcorder was initially compressed, whatever you put into Premiere Elements will be compressed as DV-AVI as you're working with it. The best workflow, then for exporting segments and mixing them down for a DVD is an AVI using the DV codec.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:19 pm

Re: interlaced. All standard definition output (SD) is 480p, and there is no interlace (which would be "i" instead of "p") so that is not an issue, nor field order. If I am wrong in this, somebody please correct me.

But pixels are pixels and there isn't much you can do about it. An SD image projected very large just isn't going to look terrific no matter what you do, and High Definition projectors are very expensive. The SD signal pixel limitations and projection issues such as focus, convergence and intensity are going to be the overriding issues.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chris B » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:36 am

SD TV, DVDs etc are interlaced. (480i 60 or 576i 50 dependent on where you live.) Film DVDs in PAL land are effectively 576p 25 because film is played at 25fps giving each field two halves of the frame. It's nearly the same in NTSC country.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Bobby » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:02 am

Chris B wrote:SD TV, DVDs etc are interlaced. (480i 60 or 576i 50 dependent on where you live.) Film DVDs in PAL land are effectively 576p 25 because film is played at 25fps giving each field two halves of the frame. It's nearly the same in NTSC country.

Is the issue one of connection? When I play an SD DVD on my TV using the HDMI connection between the player and the TV, the TV said 480p - at least I think it did before upconvert players became available. But would that be different for DVI? For Component, Composite, etc.?

SteveG, what is the connection to the "large screen"?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chris B » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:01 pm

If the DVD was one of a film the player may be being "clever" and converting the DVD interlaced format to a progressive one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Video
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Bobby » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:12 pm

OK - I stand corrected. Thanks Chris!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby SteveG » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:00 pm

Sorry. I have been having some major problems with my computer. Had to go back to the old one temporarily.

Thank you for the info. Great stuff.

Bob, I am not sure what the size will be yet. The convention hasn't even be givin a date yet. I am guessing, and this is a big guess, it will be somewhere between 1/2 to 3/4 the size of a regular theatre screen.

Steve, I exported as you said it on my 57" it looks very good.
Steve G

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby SteveG » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:21 pm

Didn't read the sentence very well. I don't know how it will be connected yet.
Steve G

--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to PRE Version 7