They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Ideals to make text box look like old newspaper

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Ideals to make text box look like old newspaper

Postby rgmcmanus » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:04 pm

I am making a slideshow for an 80th Birthday and I have made blank slides and added titles of what happened in 1929. Any suggestions for background colors, fonts, and color of fonts to give this the look of an old newspaper. I am making the sllideshow in PSE 6 and then saving to wma file and opening in PE7 to add menu makers. I would love to have the transition of spining headlines, but I don' t think this is available in PSE 6. Gaye
rgmcmanus
New User
New User

Re: Ideals to make text box look like old newspaper

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:38 pm

Welcome Gaye to Muvipix! The spinning titles can be done in PrEl with the rotate setting in the properties panel. If you want 2 complete rotations set the number to 2x. For 1 1/2 set it 1x 180. There are spin in and spin out presets too. I usually make my own and add scale in as it rotates. Not sure on the fonts, someone will have suggestions. An idea would be to use old newspaper image and photoshop your own heading and/or add a photo. Sepia tone gives a vintage look. I make my slideshows all in PrEl and can't help with PSE slideshows, but others here have experience and may offer some tips. Again, welcome to Muvipix.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:59 am

This web site: http://www.fodey.com/generators/newspaper/snippet.asp will create a still image with a newspaper background.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Bobby » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:51 am

Cool Sidd - where do you FIND this stuff?

Too bad they don't do the entire "article" - the page always appears folded.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:09 pm

rgmcmanus wrote: I am making the sllideshow in PSE 6 and then saving to wma file and opening in PE7 to add menu makers. I would love to have the transition of spining headlines, but I don' t think this is available in PSE 6. Gaye

Gaye,
I agree with your conclusion on not having the spinning headlines in the PSE slide show.
I no longer have PSE 6 installed so I looked at the transitions in the PSE 7 (which I think are very similar to those in PSE 6). My generalization about the transitions from the PSE slide shows is that the photos remain "stationary"' and the transitions are applied over/on top of the photo. So your photo will not spin.

If you have never previously done video editing and you are working on a tight timeframe for this slide show, I think it will be more practical to stay within the capability of the PSE slide show. Sidd's idea of creating an image with a newspaper background looks good. Then experiment with the various PSE slide show transitions - perhaps the gradient wipe or pinwheel: whatever type of motion you think fits best despite the fact that it will not be the spinning newspaper.

Other muvipix participants - do you agree or disagree?
It seems to me that it would be possible for Gaye to
-- not use any transition where the spinning headlines would be, but add time to the duration of that photo
-- make the Windows Media file from the PSE slide show editor and save on the hard drive
-- open PE 7, add the Windows Media file as a video on the PE 7 Timeline
-- split that video at the point where the spinning transition should be and add the PRE 7 transition at that point
HOWEVER, my concern that would be a difficult task for someone who has never previously done PE video editing has stopped me from recommending this approach.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:41 pm

Hi Bob,

I think my brother-in-law found it. He is always doing stuff with his daughter and sent me the link.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:58 pm

Barb, splitting it up would be a good idea how you described. What concerns me is that a windows media file is compressed and then sending it to PrEl to add the transition and then recompress again? Can you export from PSE an AVI file instead?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Barb O » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:27 pm

momoffduty wrote:Barb, splitting it up would be a good idea how you described. What concerns me is that a windows media file is compressed and then sending it to PrEl to add the transition and then recompress again? Can you export from PSE an AVI file instead?

Cheryl,
No, it can not be output/exported from PSE as a DV-AVI.
Imaking the sllideshow in PSE 6 and then saving to wma file and opening in PE7 to add menu makers.

I suspect that doing the split on the timeline will not cause any additional recompress - because I think that the Windows Media format is already being converted to DV-AVI because it is on the PE Timeline in order to add the menu markers. However, I am not sure and it would be better for Chuck or Steve to comment on that consideration.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:03 pm

I think you're right, Barb.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 7