They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

convert MXF files to format usable in PE7?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

convert MXF files to format usable in PE7?

Postby Barb O » Sun May 17, 2009 10:55 am

I am trying to assist in a somewhat unusual question over on another forum, so I thought it worthwhile to ask this group for help.

What software can be used to convert MXF files to a format that can be used in Premiere Elements 7?

Here is the link to the original question over at Elements Village
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/s ... post458775

According to the comments posted in that thread the MXF files can be processed in Premiere Pro, but not Premiere Elements. However for the submitter who had these files recorded by someone else, purchasing and editing in Premiere Pro for a one time project of editing this family reunion is both very expensive and probably more complex than desired.

So can anyone suggest more reasonably priced software for converting these files to a format usable in Premiere Elements 7?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: convert MXF files to format usable in PE7?

Postby Bobby » Sun May 17, 2009 12:30 pm

Here is the Wikipedia article on MXF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MXF

and it points to a XFConverter program

http://opencubetech.com/page53/XFConverter

that sounds like it might do the job.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Sun May 17, 2009 12:55 pm

Bobby,

After looking at the Wiki, I reread the original thread at Elements Village. It mentions
"I spoke to the camera guy and he has already cleaned off his P2 cards so can't download in another file."

FYI - Therefore it seems probable that this video was recorded with a Panasonic's DVCPRO P2 (rather than a Sony).

Thanks for your suggestion: I do appreciate it. It is just that this seems more complicated than I had anticipated. That XFConverter program does look fairly complex to me: therefore I would have a concern about a person who is new to Premiere Elements and may not have done previous video editing using that program.

Maybe having the person who did the video recording use Premiere Pro (or other software) to convert to a Premiere Elements 7 acceptable format will be possible.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun May 17, 2009 1:04 pm

One thing about DVPro cams, they record at a faster speed so you have to have a DVPro cam to capture with. Although the tapes are the same you can't use a standard MiniDV camcorder to capture with, it can't playback at the correct speed.

Not sure if this is the problem but thought I would mention it anyway.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Sun May 17, 2009 1:56 pm

Al this points to having production control of the entire project. I hear often enough here something like "Well, somebody gave me this (tape, disc, memory card, etc.) and wants me to create a DVD from it, and you have no idea how the data got there or what it is. If somebody wants you to do some work for them, make sure you are in on the ground floor and that they understand that. Hindsight, of course, is 20:20.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Sun May 17, 2009 2:52 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:One thing about DVPro cams, they record at a faster speed so you have to have a DVPro cam to capture with. Although the tapes are the same you can't use a standard MiniDV camcorder to capture with, it can't playback at the correct speed.

Not sure if this is the problem but thought I would mention it anyway.

There was a reference to a Card, so I wonder if there is even a tape. This was recorded by a friend who probably did not realize that Premiere Elements would not support the format he provided.

So I will approach the question differently,
can Premiere Pro (CS whatever) convert the MXF files to a format that Premiere Elements 7 can use? If yes what format would be recommended?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun May 17, 2009 3:24 pm

Here is everything you might want to know and more ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Sun May 17, 2009 3:54 pm

Chuck and Bobby,

The "and more" than I ever wanted to know is definitely appropriate for the wiki article that both of you have mentioned. I think I understand some of it - but ...

Hopefully, the person who recorded this video using his camera and then passed it on to the question submitter on Elements Village will have some ideas.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sun May 17, 2009 4:38 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Here is everything you might want to know and more ;)

I already posted that Chuck - hey, I thought I was the old guy losing it ... :CS:
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun May 17, 2009 6:13 pm

Ooops, sorry Bobby.
Sure looks like that link has lot of information. I really have to remember to read all the posts before posting myself #-o

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 pm

Sure looks like that link has lot of information

True, but sometimes alot translates to too much for the uninitiated ....

In this case, I think if the person who did the original video recording is able to convert it (perhaps using Premiere Pro) that will be the simplest for someone who is new to Premiere Elements to use for editing. So I am waiting to see what happens with that approach.

Thanks for your comments and pointers.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:57 am

FreeMake Video Converter converted an MXF file I created in Sony Vegas.

http://www.freemake.com/
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to PRE Version 7